RE: [Czechlist] Help: some food and menu items!!

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
      > I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use
      grams instead of millilitres for liquids.

      There might be Russian influence. As far as I know, quantity of served vodka
      is traditinally expressed in grams in Russia. Perhaps there is a reason for
      that. I can imagine that the same mass of vodka changes its volume
      dramatically with temperature making it significant for example in Siberian
      winter...

    • Hana Jarolímová
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
        No, asi tak, kdyz pecu a recepty jsou v ml a mam pocit, ze dany "pokrm"
        budu peci casteji, tak si stejne vsechny udaje prepocitam na gramy (tedy
        zmerim objem v ml a zjistim, kolik to vazi - u oleje je ten rozdil treba
        dost velky). Potom hodim na digitalni vahu nadobu od slehace a liju i
        kapalne suroviny podle hmotnosti a jenom sleduji na displeji menici se
        gramaz. Je to skutecne vyrazne rychlejsi postup, nez kdyz kombinuji vahu
        a objemovou odmerku.
        Hanka (omlouvam se za pekarskou vsuvku do lingvisticke debaty)
      • Josef Hlavac
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
          Hello all,

          > If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which
          > was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at
          > 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume
          > for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...

          As the definition states, this is true only for water, or (accurately
          enough for culinary purposes) for liquids that consist mostly of water.

          Best regards,
          Joe