RE: [Czechlist] Help: some food and menu items!!

  • ing.Sárka Rubková
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6 1:50 AM
      Ahoj,
      Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky

      krehke testo is the type of of pastry so I would say that puff pastry is
      correct.

      portske vino 300g
      Professional cooks give measures of liquids in grams not in ml

      I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here
      And what about pressure pots? In professional kitchens they have something
      similar and cook under very low pressure. I think that this is what they
      call vacuum. I cannot recall the name of this equipment.

      gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni)
      In Czechia you can buy it in small bags.

      hrbet kuchyysky upraveny
      Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
      prepared for cooking"?
      Yes

      "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
      another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
      pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)
      Slehacka has two meanings in Czech language 1. thick liquid cream which by
      whipping becomes firm and 2. firm whipped cream so it means "whip the liquid
      cream in another pot until becomes firm (?)"

      Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?
      "Ovozel" must be trade name - try to go supermarket to find out of what it
      consists

      Sarka

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6 11:14 AM
        Thank you, Sarka, Matej, Valerie and Jirka for your suggestions.
        I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use grams instead of millilitres for liquids. I never saw anything like that in any of the restaurants I used to wait in. Surely, it's much easier to pour the quantity you want into a measuring jug rather than pouring the liquid out into a container and then weighing it!
        If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...
        Coilin

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6 12:40 PM
          > I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use
          grams instead of millilitres for liquids.

          There might be Russian influence. As far as I know, quantity of served vodka
          is traditinally expressed in grams in Russia. Perhaps there is a reason for
          that. I can imagine that the same mass of vodka changes its volume
          dramatically with temperature making it significant for example in Siberian
          winter...

        • Hana Jarolímová
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6 1:24 PM
            No, asi tak, kdyz pecu a recepty jsou v ml a mam pocit, ze dany "pokrm"
            budu peci casteji, tak si stejne vsechny udaje prepocitam na gramy (tedy
            zmerim objem v ml a zjistim, kolik to vazi - u oleje je ten rozdil treba
            dost velky). Potom hodim na digitalni vahu nadobu od slehace a liju i
            kapalne suroviny podle hmotnosti a jenom sleduji na displeji menici se
            gramaz. Je to skutecne vyrazne rychlejsi postup, nez kdyz kombinuji vahu
            a objemovou odmerku.
            Hanka (omlouvam se za pekarskou vsuvku do lingvisticke debaty)
          • Josef Hlavac
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7 2:48 AM
              Hello all,

              > If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which
              > was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at
              > 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume
              > for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...

              As the definition states, this is true only for water, or (accurately
              enough for culinary purposes) for liquids that consist mostly of water.

              Best regards,
              Joe