Re: [Czechlist] Help: some food and menu items!!

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
      > What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
      > (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
      > fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
      > leaves on Google...

      Could also be "baby listy" as in baby carrots - the Eng. word is used in
      Czech by fancy menus and expensive restaurants to justify their prices, but
      we don't normally eat "listy" on their own, it would have to be listy
      salatu, listy zeli, etc. this is definitelly a typo in Czech, ask the
      client..

    • ing.Sárka Rubková
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
        Mateji,

        krehke testo je typ testa, neni zadny vymysl, aby to znelo lepe

        sarka
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
          Ahoj,
          Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky

          krehke testo is the type of of pastry so I would say that puff pastry is
          correct.

          portske vino 300g
          Professional cooks give measures of liquids in grams not in ml

          I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here
          And what about pressure pots? In professional kitchens they have something
          similar and cook under very low pressure. I think that this is what they
          call vacuum. I cannot recall the name of this equipment.

          gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni)
          In Czechia you can buy it in small bags.

          hrbet kuchyysky upraveny
          Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
          prepared for cooking"?
          Yes

          "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
          another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
          pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)
          Slehacka has two meanings in Czech language 1. thick liquid cream which by
          whipping becomes firm and 2. firm whipped cream so it means "whip the liquid
          cream in another pot until becomes firm (?)"

          Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?
          "Ovozel" must be trade name - try to go supermarket to find out of what it
          consists

          Sarka

          I've got another menu and I was wondering if some Czech NSers could
          perhaps help with the following:

          It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
          it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
          in this contexts...?

          Also, the chef has (ahem) helpfully included some recipes on the
          menu and some of the ingredients techniques have me a little stumped:

          First on a general note:
          Salotkový confit:
          salotka 300g, med 30g, , Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
[...]

          what "are... I'd be grateful
          if one of you could enlighten me.
          Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
          serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

          Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
          tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr

          COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
          second (pistachio) item is?

          Malinove zele
          200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
          85g cukru
          Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

          Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

          Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
          uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
          vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

          does
          MTIA for any suggestions
          Coilin

        • Coilin O Connor
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
            Thank you, Sarka, Matej, Valerie and Jirka for your suggestions.
            I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use grams instead of millilitres for liquids. I never saw anything like that in any of the restaurants I used to wait in. Surely, it's much easier to pour the quantity you want into a measuring jug rather than pouring the liquid out into a container and then weighing it!
            If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...
            Coilin

            Ahoj,

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
              > I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use
              grams instead of millilitres for liquids.

              There might be Russian influence. As far as I know, quantity of served vodka
              is traditinally expressed in grams in Russia. Perhaps there is a reason for
              that. I can imagine that the same mass of vodka changes its volume
              dramatically with temperature making it significant for example in Siberian
              winter...

            • Hana Jarolímová
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                No, asi tak, kdyz pecu a recepty jsou v ml a mam pocit, ze dany "pokrm"
                budu peci casteji, tak si stejne vsechny udaje prepocitam na gramy (tedy
                zmerim objem v ml a zjistim, kolik to vazi - u oleje je ten rozdil treba
                dost velky). Potom hodim na digitalni vahu nadobu od slehace a liju i
                kapalne suroviny podle hmotnosti a jenom sleduji na displeji menici se
                gramaz. Je to skutecne vyrazne rychlejsi postup, nez kdyz kombinuji vahu
                a objemovou odmerku.
                Hanka (omlouvam se za pekarskou vsuvku do lingvisticke debaty)
              • Josef Hlavac
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                  Hello all,

                  > If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which
                  > was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at
                  > 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume
                  > for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...

                  As the definition states, this is true only for water, or (accurately
                  enough for culinary purposes) for liquids that consist mostly of water.

                  Best regards,
                  Joe