Re: [Czechlist] Help: some food and menu items!!

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
      Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky
      It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
      it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
      in this contexts...?

      Sounds extremely artificial, but if it is what I think it is, then your
      suggestion is OK - to me, it sounds like mini strudels, or something akin to
      Chinese fortune crackers (minus the paper bit)...

      First on a general note:
      Salotkový confit:
      salotka 300g, med 30g, portske vino 300g, Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
      cely 4g
      I presume the "gram" values for liquids like "port" etc. should be
      given as "ml" in English. I was wondering if this usage of "g" is
      also perhaps unusual in Czech?

      Strange, but possible, anything can be weighted, and for most liquids, grams
      roughly equal ml's

      What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
      (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
      fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
      leaves on Google...

      Bobkove listy as typed by a very drunk or very computer unfriendly chef???

      I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here. Does anyone have
      any ideas as to what's going on and how said vacuum is created (i.e.
      is the dishe prepared in a kitchen or a laboratory?):

      Konfinovany bucek :
      jablecný juice 2 litry, bily rum 200ml, cesnek 50g, bucek 1200g -
      bez kosti, salotka 300g, 100g makadamskych orechu, cely cerny pepr
      Postup : ocistene maso dusime do mekka v redukci ostatnich
      ingredienci ve vakuu. Pred vydejem jednotlive porce opeceme
      dozlatova a zasypeme sekanymi makadamskymi orechy.

      The only thing I can think of is simmering the meat in "papinak" - the
      ex-French pressure cooker thingy, it's not vacuum, but then this chef's
      general physics is not up to scratch as we already know... BTW "v redukci
      ostatnich ingredienci" probably means in a broth made of the other
      ingredients

      The next thing is probably easy for Czechs.
      Pernikove glasse :
      demi glass 400g, pardubicky perník 200g, cervene víno 100g, veprova
      krev 50g, sul, pepr, cerstve maslo 100g, pernikove koreni 20g
      Postup : vse svarime a tesne pred vydejem do omacky zaslehame maslo
      a krev
      I presume everyone born and reared in Bohemia knows
      what "gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni) are... I'd be grateful
      if one of you could enlighten me.
      Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
      serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

      I think you buy it as such and there's about three different nuts/spices to
      it, nutmeg perhaps?? not big on sweet things, but your local grocer will
      stock them for sure - read the label...

      Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
      tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr
      Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
      prepared for cooking"?

      It probably means cut and/or boned to some extent, as opposed to the whole
      thing with the entire spine ..

      COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
      second (pistachio) item is?

      No idea, there's two hits for this on Google, both cokoladovy savarink, I
      would guess that it's the same as mousse and it's ussed to avoid repeating
      the word, use anything that bears the same texture message...

      Malinove zele
      200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
      85g cukru
      Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

      It's the stuff that makes jelly (zele) out of fruit juice, no idea about
      chemical composition..

      Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

      Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
      uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
      vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

      does "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
      another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
      pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)

      The former - slehacka is what we call the cream before it gets whipped
      (technically "smetana ke slehani", but nobody says that, we do call the
      final product slehacka too, you have to go by the context here)- it's the
      kind of cream that will thicken when whipped, others won't

      Dobrou chut a noc

      Matej

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
        > What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
        > (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
        > fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
        > leaves on Google...

        Could also be "baby listy" as in baby carrots - the Eng. word is used in
        Czech by fancy menus and expensive restaurants to justify their prices, but
        we don't normally eat "listy" on their own, it would have to be listy
        salatu, listy zeli, etc. this is definitelly a typo in Czech, ask the
        client..

      • ing.Sárka Rubková
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
          Mateji,

          krehke testo je typ testa, neni zadny vymysl, aby to znelo lepe

          sarka

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
            Ahoj,
            Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky

            krehke testo is the type of of pastry so I would say that puff pastry is
            correct.

            portske vino 300g
            Professional cooks give measures of liquids in grams not in ml

            I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here
            And what about pressure pots? In professional kitchens they have something
            similar and cook under very low pressure. I think that this is what they
            call vacuum. I cannot recall the name of this equipment.

            gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni)
            In Czechia you can buy it in small bags.

            hrbet kuchyysky upraveny
            Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
            prepared for cooking"?
            Yes

            "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
            another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
            pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)
            Slehacka has two meanings in Czech language 1. thick liquid cream which by
            whipping becomes firm and 2. firm whipped cream so it means "whip the liquid
            cream in another pot until becomes firm (?)"

            Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?
            "Ovozel" must be trade name - try to go supermarket to find out of what it
            consists

            Sarka

            I've got another menu and I was wondering if some Czech NSers could
            perhaps help with the following:

            It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
            it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
            in this contexts...?

            Also, the chef has (ahem) helpfully included some recipes on the
            menu and some of the ingredients techniques have me a little stumped:

            First on a general note:
            Salotkový confit:
            salotka 300g, med 30g, , Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
[...]

            what "are... I'd be grateful
            if one of you could enlighten me.
            Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
            serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

            Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
            tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr

            COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
            second (pistachio) item is?

            Malinove zele
            200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
            85g cukru
            Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

            Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

            Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
            uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
            vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

            does
            MTIA for any suggestions
            Coilin

          • Coilin O Connor
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
              Thank you, Sarka, Matej, Valerie and Jirka for your suggestions.
              I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use grams instead of millilitres for liquids. I never saw anything like that in any of the restaurants I used to wait in. Surely, it's much easier to pour the quantity you want into a measuring jug rather than pouring the liquid out into a container and then weighing it!
              If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...
              Coilin

              Ahoj,

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                > I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use
                grams instead of millilitres for liquids.

                There might be Russian influence. As far as I know, quantity of served vodka
                is traditinally expressed in grams in Russia. Perhaps there is a reason for
                that. I can imagine that the same mass of vodka changes its volume
                dramatically with temperature making it significant for example in Siberian
                winter...

              • Hana Jarolímová
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                  No, asi tak, kdyz pecu a recepty jsou v ml a mam pocit, ze dany "pokrm"
                  budu peci casteji, tak si stejne vsechny udaje prepocitam na gramy (tedy
                  zmerim objem v ml a zjistim, kolik to vazi - u oleje je ten rozdil treba
                  dost velky). Potom hodim na digitalni vahu nadobu od slehace a liju i
                  kapalne suroviny podle hmotnosti a jenom sleduji na displeji menici se
                  gramaz. Je to skutecne vyrazne rychlejsi postup, nez kdyz kombinuji vahu
                  a objemovou odmerku.
                  Hanka (omlouvam se za pekarskou vsuvku do lingvisticke debaty)
                • Josef Hlavac
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                    Hello all,

                    > If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which
                    > was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at
                    > 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume
                    > for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...

                    As the definition states, this is true only for water, or (accurately
                    enough for culinary purposes) for liquids that consist mostly of water.

                    Best regards,
                    Joe