Re: [Czechlist] Help: some food and menu items!!

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
      A savarin is a cake covered in some kind of syrup, so in this case a miniature/individual one in pistachio syrup. I think 'pistachio savarin' will do fine.

      Gingerbread spices are - I think - allspice, cinnamon, aniseed and cloves?

      Valerie

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
        Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky
        It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
        it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
        in this contexts...?

        Sounds extremely artificial, but if it is what I think it is, then your
        suggestion is OK - to me, it sounds like mini strudels, or something akin to
        Chinese fortune crackers (minus the paper bit)...

        First on a general note:
        Salotkový confit:
        salotka 300g, med 30g, portske vino 300g, Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
        cely 4g
        I presume the "gram" values for liquids like "port" etc. should be
        given as "ml" in English. I was wondering if this usage of "g" is
        also perhaps unusual in Czech?

        Strange, but possible, anything can be weighted, and for most liquids, grams
        roughly equal ml's

        What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
        (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
        fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
        leaves on Google...

        Bobkove listy as typed by a very drunk or very computer unfriendly chef???

        I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here. Does anyone have
        any ideas as to what's going on and how said vacuum is created (i.e.
        is the dishe prepared in a kitchen or a laboratory?):

        Konfinovany bucek :
        jablecný juice 2 litry, bily rum 200ml, cesnek 50g, bucek 1200g -
        bez kosti, salotka 300g, 100g makadamskych orechu, cely cerny pepr
        Postup : ocistene maso dusime do mekka v redukci ostatnich
        ingredienci ve vakuu. Pred vydejem jednotlive porce opeceme
        dozlatova a zasypeme sekanymi makadamskymi orechy.

        The only thing I can think of is simmering the meat in "papinak" - the
        ex-French pressure cooker thingy, it's not vacuum, but then this chef's
        general physics is not up to scratch as we already know... BTW "v redukci
        ostatnich ingredienci" probably means in a broth made of the other
        ingredients

        The next thing is probably easy for Czechs.
        Pernikove glasse :
        demi glass 400g, pardubicky perník 200g, cervene víno 100g, veprova
        krev 50g, sul, pepr, cerstve maslo 100g, pernikove koreni 20g
        Postup : vse svarime a tesne pred vydejem do omacky zaslehame maslo
        a krev
        I presume everyone born and reared in Bohemia knows
        what "gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni) are... I'd be grateful
        if one of you could enlighten me.
        Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
        serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

        I think you buy it as such and there's about three different nuts/spices to
        it, nutmeg perhaps?? not big on sweet things, but your local grocer will
        stock them for sure - read the label...

        Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
        tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr
        Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
        prepared for cooking"?

        It probably means cut and/or boned to some extent, as opposed to the whole
        thing with the entire spine ..

        COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
        second (pistachio) item is?

        No idea, there's two hits for this on Google, both cokoladovy savarink, I
        would guess that it's the same as mousse and it's ussed to avoid repeating
        the word, use anything that bears the same texture message...

        Malinove zele
        200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
        85g cukru
        Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

        It's the stuff that makes jelly (zele) out of fruit juice, no idea about
        chemical composition..

        Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

        Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
        uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
        vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

        does "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
        another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
        pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)

        The former - slehacka is what we call the cream before it gets whipped
        (technically "smetana ke slehani", but nobody says that, we do call the
        final product slehacka too, you have to go by the context here)- it's the
        kind of cream that will thicken when whipped, others won't

        Dobrou chut a noc

        Matej

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
          > What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
          > (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
          > fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
          > leaves on Google...

          Could also be "baby listy" as in baby carrots - the Eng. word is used in
          Czech by fancy menus and expensive restaurants to justify their prices, but
          we don't normally eat "listy" on their own, it would have to be listy
          salatu, listy zeli, etc. this is definitelly a typo in Czech, ask the
          client..

        • ing.Sárka Rubková
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
            Mateji,

            krehke testo je typ testa, neni zadny vymysl, aby to znelo lepe

            sarka

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
              Ahoj,
              Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky

              krehke testo is the type of of pastry so I would say that puff pastry is
              correct.

              portske vino 300g
              Professional cooks give measures of liquids in grams not in ml

              I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here
              And what about pressure pots? In professional kitchens they have something
              similar and cook under very low pressure. I think that this is what they
              call vacuum. I cannot recall the name of this equipment.

              gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni)
              In Czechia you can buy it in small bags.

              hrbet kuchyysky upraveny
              Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
              prepared for cooking"?
              Yes

              "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
              another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
              pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)
              Slehacka has two meanings in Czech language 1. thick liquid cream which by
              whipping becomes firm and 2. firm whipped cream so it means "whip the liquid
              cream in another pot until becomes firm (?)"

              Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?
              "Ovozel" must be trade name - try to go supermarket to find out of what it
              consists

              Sarka

              I've got another menu and I was wondering if some Czech NSers could
              perhaps help with the following:

              It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
              it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
              in this contexts...?

              Also, the chef has (ahem) helpfully included some recipes on the
              menu and some of the ingredients techniques have me a little stumped:

              First on a general note:
              Salotkový confit:
              salotka 300g, med 30g, , Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
[...]

              what "are... I'd be grateful
              if one of you could enlighten me.
              Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
              serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

              Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
              tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr

              COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
              second (pistachio) item is?

              Malinove zele
              200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
              85g cukru
              Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

              Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

              Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
              uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
              vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

              does
              MTIA for any suggestions
              Coilin

            • Coilin O Connor
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                Thank you, Sarka, Matej, Valerie and Jirka for your suggestions.
                I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use grams instead of millilitres for liquids. I never saw anything like that in any of the restaurants I used to wait in. Surely, it's much easier to pour the quantity you want into a measuring jug rather than pouring the liquid out into a container and then weighing it!
                If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...
                Coilin

                Ahoj,

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                  > I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use
                  grams instead of millilitres for liquids.

                  There might be Russian influence. As far as I know, quantity of served vodka
                  is traditinally expressed in grams in Russia. Perhaps there is a reason for
                  that. I can imagine that the same mass of vodka changes its volume
                  dramatically with temperature making it significant for example in Siberian
                  winter...

                • Hana Jarolímová
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                    No, asi tak, kdyz pecu a recepty jsou v ml a mam pocit, ze dany "pokrm"
                    budu peci casteji, tak si stejne vsechny udaje prepocitam na gramy (tedy
                    zmerim objem v ml a zjistim, kolik to vazi - u oleje je ten rozdil treba
                    dost velky). Potom hodim na digitalni vahu nadobu od slehace a liju i
                    kapalne suroviny podle hmotnosti a jenom sleduji na displeji menici se
                    gramaz. Je to skutecne vyrazne rychlejsi postup, nez kdyz kombinuji vahu
                    a objemovou odmerku.
                    Hanka (omlouvam se za pekarskou vsuvku do lingvisticke debaty)
                  • Josef Hlavac
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                      Hello all,

                      > If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which
                      > was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at
                      > 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume
                      > for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...

                      As the definition states, this is true only for water, or (accurately
                      enough for culinary purposes) for liquids that consist mostly of water.

                      Best regards,
                      Joe