RE: [Czechlist] Help: some food and menu items!!

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hi Coilin,

      I'm afraid I can't help much. It all sounds like a linguistic nightmare and
      I'm just an amateur cook.

      > it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better

      Don't know about the difference between the two English terms, but neither
      do I have a good idea about the Czech term. Sorry.

      > I was wondering if this usage of "g" is also perhaps unusual in Czech?

      Rather unusual to me, but you do see liquids measured as masses. Just
      yesterday morning I overheard some of a radio program mentioning that
      supermarkets are bound by the law to show unit prices on shelf price tags,
      only to get amused finding two different kinds of kefir, one with a tag
      showing volumetric unit price, the other with mass unit price, next to each
      other on a supermarket shelf later on in the afternoon.

      > What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse

      It's a mystery to me, but I don't know "fillo testo" either. Maybe a typo,
      anyway.

      > Postup : ocistene maso dusime do mekka v redukci ostatnich
      ingredienci ve vakuu.

      This must be some kind of established chef speak, but again, I dont' really
      know what it means.

      > what "gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni) are...

      I think it is the ready-to-use blend, packed just like raising powder,
      having actually the same rasing effect, but also containing some specific
      spices. This is perhaps uknown outside this contry.

      > Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
      serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

      I understand it's the former possibility.

      > Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
      prepared for cooking"?

      I don't know what sort of word "kuchyysky" is, but your idea makes a good
      sense to me.

      > COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
      second (pistachio) item is?

      You mean this "savarink"? No idea at all. Perfect word fo the Czech Prima TV
      show Nobody's Perfect (Nikdo neni dokonaly).

      > Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

      "Ovozel" should normally mean "ovoce a zelenina", although you will never
      hear this word where I live. Can't confirm or deny it could also be pektin,
      but it should logically be.

      > does "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
      another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
      pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)

      What you buy in Czech stores as "slehacka" is actually raw cream that needs
      whipping.

      I hope I helped a little a bit with at least some of the items. Awful,
      awful, awful...

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
        A savarin is a cake covered in some kind of syrup, so in this case a miniature/individual one in pistachio syrup. I think 'pistachio savarin' will do fine.

        Gingerbread spices are - I think - allspice, cinnamon, aniseed and cloves?

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
          Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky
          It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
          it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
          in this contexts...?

          Sounds extremely artificial, but if it is what I think it is, then your
          suggestion is OK - to me, it sounds like mini strudels, or something akin to
          Chinese fortune crackers (minus the paper bit)...

          First on a general note:
          Salotkový confit:
          salotka 300g, med 30g, portske vino 300g, Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
          cely 4g
          I presume the "gram" values for liquids like "port" etc. should be
          given as "ml" in English. I was wondering if this usage of "g" is
          also perhaps unusual in Czech?

          Strange, but possible, anything can be weighted, and for most liquids, grams
          roughly equal ml's

          What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
          (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
          fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
          leaves on Google...

          Bobkove listy as typed by a very drunk or very computer unfriendly chef???

          I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here. Does anyone have
          any ideas as to what's going on and how said vacuum is created (i.e.
          is the dishe prepared in a kitchen or a laboratory?):

          Konfinovany bucek :
          jablecný juice 2 litry, bily rum 200ml, cesnek 50g, bucek 1200g -
          bez kosti, salotka 300g, 100g makadamskych orechu, cely cerny pepr
          Postup : ocistene maso dusime do mekka v redukci ostatnich
          ingredienci ve vakuu. Pred vydejem jednotlive porce opeceme
          dozlatova a zasypeme sekanymi makadamskymi orechy.

          The only thing I can think of is simmering the meat in "papinak" - the
          ex-French pressure cooker thingy, it's not vacuum, but then this chef's
          general physics is not up to scratch as we already know... BTW "v redukci
          ostatnich ingredienci" probably means in a broth made of the other
          ingredients

          The next thing is probably easy for Czechs.
          Pernikove glasse :
          demi glass 400g, pardubicky perník 200g, cervene víno 100g, veprova
          krev 50g, sul, pepr, cerstve maslo 100g, pernikove koreni 20g
          Postup : vse svarime a tesne pred vydejem do omacky zaslehame maslo
          a krev
          I presume everyone born and reared in Bohemia knows
          what "gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni) are... I'd be grateful
          if one of you could enlighten me.
          Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
          serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

          I think you buy it as such and there's about three different nuts/spices to
          it, nutmeg perhaps?? not big on sweet things, but your local grocer will
          stock them for sure - read the label...

          Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
          tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr
          Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
          prepared for cooking"?

          It probably means cut and/or boned to some extent, as opposed to the whole
          thing with the entire spine ..

          COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
          second (pistachio) item is?

          No idea, there's two hits for this on Google, both cokoladovy savarink, I
          would guess that it's the same as mousse and it's ussed to avoid repeating
          the word, use anything that bears the same texture message...

          Malinove zele
          200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
          85g cukru
          Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

          It's the stuff that makes jelly (zele) out of fruit juice, no idea about
          chemical composition..

          Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

          Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
          uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
          vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

          does "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
          another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
          pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)

          The former - slehacka is what we call the cream before it gets whipped
          (technically "smetana ke slehani", but nobody says that, we do call the
          final product slehacka too, you have to go by the context here)- it's the
          kind of cream that will thicken when whipped, others won't

          Dobrou chut a noc

          Matej

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
            > What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
            > (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
            > fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
            > leaves on Google...

            Could also be "baby listy" as in baby carrots - the Eng. word is used in
            Czech by fancy menus and expensive restaurants to justify their prices, but
            we don't normally eat "listy" on their own, it would have to be listy
            salatu, listy zeli, etc. this is definitelly a typo in Czech, ask the
            client..

          • ing.Sárka Rubková
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
              Mateji,

              krehke testo je typ testa, neni zadny vymysl, aby to znelo lepe

              sarka

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                Ahoj,
                Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky

                krehke testo is the type of of pastry so I would say that puff pastry is
                correct.

                portske vino 300g
                Professional cooks give measures of liquids in grams not in ml

                I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here
                And what about pressure pots? In professional kitchens they have something
                similar and cook under very low pressure. I think that this is what they
                call vacuum. I cannot recall the name of this equipment.

                gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni)
                In Czechia you can buy it in small bags.

                hrbet kuchyysky upraveny
                Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
                prepared for cooking"?
                Yes

                "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
                another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
                pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)
                Slehacka has two meanings in Czech language 1. thick liquid cream which by
                whipping becomes firm and 2. firm whipped cream so it means "whip the liquid
                cream in another pot until becomes firm (?)"

                Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?
                "Ovozel" must be trade name - try to go supermarket to find out of what it
                consists

                Sarka

                I've got another menu and I was wondering if some Czech NSers could
                perhaps help with the following:

                It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
                it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
                in this contexts...?

                Also, the chef has (ahem) helpfully included some recipes on the
                menu and some of the ingredients techniques have me a little stumped:

                First on a general note:
                Salotkový confit:
                salotka 300g, med 30g, , Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
[...]

                what "are... I'd be grateful
                if one of you could enlighten me.
                Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
                serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

                Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
                tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr

                COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
                second (pistachio) item is?

                Malinove zele
                200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
                85g cukru
                Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

                Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

                Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
                uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
                vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

                does
                MTIA for any suggestions
                Coilin

              • Coilin O Connor
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Thank you, Sarka, Matej, Valerie and Jirka for your suggestions.
                  I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use grams instead of millilitres for liquids. I never saw anything like that in any of the restaurants I used to wait in. Surely, it's much easier to pour the quantity you want into a measuring jug rather than pouring the liquid out into a container and then weighing it!
                  If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...
                  Coilin

                  Ahoj,

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                    > I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use
                    grams instead of millilitres for liquids.

                    There might be Russian influence. As far as I know, quantity of served vodka
                    is traditinally expressed in grams in Russia. Perhaps there is a reason for
                    that. I can imagine that the same mass of vodka changes its volume
                    dramatically with temperature making it significant for example in Siberian
                    winter...

                  • Hana Jarolímová
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                      No, asi tak, kdyz pecu a recepty jsou v ml a mam pocit, ze dany "pokrm"
                      budu peci casteji, tak si stejne vsechny udaje prepocitam na gramy (tedy
                      zmerim objem v ml a zjistim, kolik to vazi - u oleje je ten rozdil treba
                      dost velky). Potom hodim na digitalni vahu nadobu od slehace a liju i
                      kapalne suroviny podle hmotnosti a jenom sleduji na displeji menici se
                      gramaz. Je to skutecne vyrazne rychlejsi postup, nez kdyz kombinuji vahu
                      a objemovou odmerku.
                      Hanka (omlouvam se za pekarskou vsuvku do lingvisticke debaty)
                    • Josef Hlavac
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                        Hello all,

                        > If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which
                        > was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at
                        > 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume
                        > for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...

                        As the definition states, this is true only for water, or (accurately
                        enough for culinary purposes) for liquids that consist mostly of water.

                        Best regards,
                        Joe