Help: some food and menu items!!

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hi there,
      I've got another menu and I was wondering if some Czech NSers could
      perhaps help with the following:

      Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky
      It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
      it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
      in this contexts...?

      Also, the chef has (ahem) helpfully included some recipes on the
      menu and some of the ingredients techniques have me a little stumped:

      First on a general note:
      Salotkový confit:
      salotka 300g, med 30g, portske vino 300g, Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
      cely 4g
      I presume the "gram" values for liquids like "port" etc. should be
      given as "ml" in English. I was wondering if this usage of "g" is
      also perhaps unusual in Czech?

      What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
      (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
      fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
      leaves on Google...

      I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here. Does anyone have
      any ideas as to what's going on and how said vacuum is created (i.e.
      is the dishe prepared in a kitchen or a laboratory?):

      Konfinovany bucek :
      jablecný juice 2 litry, bily rum 200ml, cesnek 50g, bucek 1200g –
      bez kosti, salotka 300g, 100g makadamskych orechu, cely cerny pepr
      Postup : ocistene maso dusime do mekka v redukci ostatnich
      ingredienci ve vakuu. Pred vydejem jednotlive porce opeceme
      dozlatova a zasypeme sekanymi makadamskymi orechy.

      The next thing is probably easy for Czechs.
      Pernikove glasse :
      demi glass 400g, pardubicky perník 200g, cervene víno 100g, veprova
      krev 50g, sul, pepr, cerstve maslo 100g, pernikove koreni 20g
      Postup : vse svarime a tesne pred vydejem do omacky zaslehame maslo
      a krev

      I presume everyone born and reared in Bohemia knows
      what "gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni) are... I'd be grateful
      if one of you could enlighten me.
      Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
      serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

      Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
      tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr
      Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
      prepared for cooking"?

      COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
      second (pistachio) item is?

      Malinove zele
      200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
      85g cukru
      Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

      Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

      Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
      uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
      vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

      does "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
      another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
      pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)

      MTIA for any suggestions
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
        Hi Coilin,

        I'm afraid I can't help much. It all sounds like a linguistic nightmare and
        I'm just an amateur cook.

        > it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better

        Don't know about the difference between the two English terms, but neither
        do I have a good idea about the Czech term. Sorry.

        > I was wondering if this usage of "g" is also perhaps unusual in Czech?

        Rather unusual to me, but you do see liquids measured as masses. Just
        yesterday morning I overheard some of a radio program mentioning that
        supermarkets are bound by the law to show unit prices on shelf price tags,
        only to get amused finding two different kinds of kefir, one with a tag
        showing volumetric unit price, the other with mass unit price, next to each
        other on a supermarket shelf later on in the afternoon.

        > What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse

        It's a mystery to me, but I don't know "fillo testo" either. Maybe a typo,
        anyway.

        > Postup : ocistene maso dusime do mekka v redukci ostatnich
        ingredienci ve vakuu.

        This must be some kind of established chef speak, but again, I dont' really
        know what it means.

        > what "gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni) are...

        I think it is the ready-to-use blend, packed just like raising powder,
        having actually the same rasing effect, but also containing some specific
        spices. This is perhaps uknown outside this contry.

        > Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
        serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

        I understand it's the former possibility.

        > Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
        prepared for cooking"?

        I don't know what sort of word "kuchyysky" is, but your idea makes a good
        sense to me.

        > COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
        second (pistachio) item is?

        You mean this "savarink"? No idea at all. Perfect word fo the Czech Prima TV
        show Nobody's Perfect (Nikdo neni dokonaly).

        > Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

        "Ovozel" should normally mean "ovoce a zelenina", although you will never
        hear this word where I live. Can't confirm or deny it could also be pektin,
        but it should logically be.

        > does "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
        another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
        pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)

        What you buy in Czech stores as "slehacka" is actually raw cream that needs
        whipping.

        I hope I helped a little a bit with at least some of the items. Awful,
        awful, awful...

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
          A savarin is a cake covered in some kind of syrup, so in this case a miniature/individual one in pistachio syrup. I think 'pistachio savarin' will do fine.

          Gingerbread spices are - I think - allspice, cinnamon, aniseed and cloves?

          Valerie

[...]

        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
            Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky
            It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
            it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
            in this contexts...?

            Sounds extremely artificial, but if it is what I think it is, then your
            suggestion is OK - to me, it sounds like mini strudels, or something akin to
            Chinese fortune crackers (minus the paper bit)...

            First on a general note:
            Salotkový confit:
            salotka 300g, med 30g, portske vino 300g, Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
            cely 4g
            I presume the "gram" values for liquids like "port" etc. should be
            given as "ml" in English. I was wondering if this usage of "g" is
            also perhaps unusual in Czech?

            Strange, but possible, anything can be weighted, and for most liquids, grams
            roughly equal ml's

            What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
            (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
            fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
            leaves on Google...

            Bobkove listy as typed by a very drunk or very computer unfriendly chef???

            I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here. Does anyone have
            any ideas as to what's going on and how said vacuum is created (i.e.
            is the dishe prepared in a kitchen or a laboratory?):

            Konfinovany bucek :
            jablecný juice 2 litry, bily rum 200ml, cesnek 50g, bucek 1200g -
            bez kosti, salotka 300g, 100g makadamskych orechu, cely cerny pepr
            Postup : ocistene maso dusime do mekka v redukci ostatnich
            ingredienci ve vakuu. Pred vydejem jednotlive porce opeceme
            dozlatova a zasypeme sekanymi makadamskymi orechy.

            The only thing I can think of is simmering the meat in "papinak" - the
            ex-French pressure cooker thingy, it's not vacuum, but then this chef's
            general physics is not up to scratch as we already know... BTW "v redukci
            ostatnich ingredienci" probably means in a broth made of the other
            ingredients

            The next thing is probably easy for Czechs.
            Pernikove glasse :
            demi glass 400g, pardubicky perník 200g, cervene víno 100g, veprova
            krev 50g, sul, pepr, cerstve maslo 100g, pernikove koreni 20g
            Postup : vse svarime a tesne pred vydejem do omacky zaslehame maslo
            a krev
            I presume everyone born and reared in Bohemia knows
            what "gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni) are... I'd be grateful
            if one of you could enlighten me.
            Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
            serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

            I think you buy it as such and there's about three different nuts/spices to
            it, nutmeg perhaps?? not big on sweet things, but your local grocer will
            stock them for sure - read the label...

            Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
            tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr
            Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
            prepared for cooking"?

            It probably means cut and/or boned to some extent, as opposed to the whole
            thing with the entire spine ..

            COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
            second (pistachio) item is?

            No idea, there's two hits for this on Google, both cokoladovy savarink, I
            would guess that it's the same as mousse and it's ussed to avoid repeating
            the word, use anything that bears the same texture message...

            Malinove zele
            200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
            85g cukru
            Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

            It's the stuff that makes jelly (zele) out of fruit juice, no idea about
            chemical composition..

            Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

            Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
            uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
            vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

            does "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
            another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
            pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)

            The former - slehacka is what we call the cream before it gets whipped
            (technically "smetana ke slehani", but nobody says that, we do call the
            final product slehacka too, you have to go by the context here)- it's the
            kind of cream that will thicken when whipped, others won't

            Dobrou chut a noc

            Matej

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Terminus Technicus
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
              > What do you make of "byby listy" to garnish a leek-and-potato mousse
              > (e.g. Na ozdobu pouzijeme smes smes byby listu, bylinek a oplatky z
              > fillo testa). I can't find any English or Czech reference to byby
              > leaves on Google...

              Could also be "baby listy" as in baby carrots - the Eng. word is used in
              Czech by fancy menus and expensive restaurants to justify their prices, but
              we don't normally eat "listy" on their own, it would have to be listy
              salatu, listy zeli, etc. this is definitelly a typo in Czech, ask the
              client..

            • ing.Sárka Rubková
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                Mateji,

                krehke testo je typ testa, neni zadny vymysl, aby to znelo lepe

                sarka

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Ahoj,
                  Pecene knedlicky z krehkeho testa plnene jablky

                  krehke testo is the type of of pastry so I would say that puff pastry is
                  correct.

                  portske vino 300g
                  Professional cooks give measures of liquids in grams not in ml

                  I'm very confused by the use of the "vakuum" here
                  And what about pressure pots? In professional kitchens they have something
                  similar and cook under very low pressure. I think that this is what they
                  call vacuum. I cannot recall the name of this equipment.

                  gingerbread spices" (pernikove koreni)
                  In Czechia you can buy it in small bags.

                  hrbet kuchyysky upraveny
                  Is a "hrbet kuchyysky upraveny" simply a "saddle of young boar
                  prepared for cooking"?
                  Yes

                  "v druhem kotli uslehame slehacku" mean "whip the cream in
                  another pot" or does it mean "whisk the whipped cream in another
                  pot" (slehacka not smetana is listed in the ingredients...)
                  Slehacka has two meanings in Czech language 1. thick liquid cream which by
                  whipping becomes firm and 2. firm whipped cream so it means "whip the liquid
                  cream in another pot until becomes firm (?)"

                  Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?
                  "Ovozel" must be trade name - try to go supermarket to find out of what it
                  consists

                  Sarka

                  I've got another menu and I was wondering if some Czech NSers could
                  perhaps help with the following:

                  It's "krehke testo" that I have a problem with. Lexicon says
                  it's "puff pastry" but I wonder if "crispy batter" might be better
                  in this contexts...?

                  Also, the chef has (ahem) helpfully included some recipes on the
                  menu and some of the ingredients techniques have me a little stumped:

                  First on a general note:
                  Salotkový confit:
                  salotka 300g, med 30g, , Skorice cela 3g, Badyan
[...]

                  what "are... I'd be grateful
                  if one of you could enlighten me.
                  Also is the blood and butter whipped into the sauce just before
                  serving or whipped into *a* sauce just before serving?

                  Hrbet ze selatka kance : hrbet kuchyysky upraveny 1200g, sul,
                  tymian, cerstve mlety pepr, cukr

                  COKOLADOVY MOUSSE S PISTACIOVYM SAVARINKEM - any idea what the
                  second (pistachio) item is?

                  Malinove zele
                  200g cerstve malinoveho stavy, 50g malinoveho likeru, 125 g ovozel,
                  85g cukru
                  Is "ovozel" simply "pectin"?

                  Finally in the following instructions to make "chocolate mousse"

                  Postup: zloutky s cukrem slehame do huste peny, v druhem kotli
                  uslehame slehacku . rozpustíme cokoladu a do vyslehanych zloutku
                  vmíchame cokoladu a jemne vmícháme slehacku

                  does
                  MTIA for any suggestions
                  Coilin

                • Coilin O Connor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Thank you, Sarka, Matej, Valerie and Jirka for your suggestions.
                    I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use grams instead of millilitres for liquids. I never saw anything like that in any of the restaurants I used to wait in. Surely, it's much easier to pour the quantity you want into a measuring jug rather than pouring the liquid out into a container and then weighing it!
                    If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...
                    Coilin

                    Ahoj,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                      > I have to say I can't understand why Czech chefs would prefer to use
                      grams instead of millilitres for liquids.

                      There might be Russian influence. As far as I know, quantity of served vodka
                      is traditinally expressed in grams in Russia. Perhaps there is a reason for
                      that. I can imagine that the same mass of vodka changes its volume
                      dramatically with temperature making it significant for example in Siberian
                      winter...

                    • Hana Jarolímová
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                        No, asi tak, kdyz pecu a recepty jsou v ml a mam pocit, ze dany "pokrm"
                        budu peci casteji, tak si stejne vsechny udaje prepocitam na gramy (tedy
                        zmerim objem v ml a zjistim, kolik to vazi - u oleje je ten rozdil treba
                        dost velky). Potom hodim na digitalni vahu nadobu od slehace a liju i
                        kapalne suroviny podle hmotnosti a jenom sleduji na displeji menici se
                        gramaz. Je to skutecne vyrazne rychlejsi postup, nez kdyz kombinuji vahu
                        a objemovou odmerku.
                        Hanka (omlouvam se za pekarskou vsuvku do lingvisticke debaty)
                      • Josef Hlavac
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                          Hello all,

                          > If I remember rightly (from Irish junior cert physics, which
                          > was a long time ago) a litre is simply the volume of water at
                          > 4 degrees centigrade that weighs a kilogram anyway, so I presume
                          > for most things ml and g would be fairly interchangeable...

                          As the definition states, this is true only for water, or (accurately
                          enough for culinary purposes) for liquids that consist mostly of water.

                          Best regards,
                          Joe