Re: CHAT: "se Skoda"

  • spektrum2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
      Ano, ale v cestine se to da resit pridanim slova ve spravnem tvaru,
      napriklad "lak _firmy_ Schwarzkopf" misto "lak _od_ Schwarzkopf" nebo
      "vylet _autem_ Skoda" misto "vylet _se_ Skoda".
      Petr A.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
        Sure, I realize this, but any way to deal with the problem results in
        added length. The more length you add the more the advertisement
        loses its punch, and the more space is wasted. As a non-native
        speaker, I found that necessity of adding the generic noun before the
        brand name in Czech to be kind of tedious, as if in that one aspect
        of the language, there was a rule forcing everything to be slow.
        Obviously, my non-native speaker judgment won't be valid for native
        speakers' perceptions of the language, but it's possible that native
        Czechs within the advertising business have also started to feel the
        generic word to be excessive and are just dropping it. The fact that
        your mind understands, fills the word in, and gets annoyed, shows
        that dropping that word did not impede communication. This means
        that the advertising is doing its job, even if it irritates the hell
        out of people who care about standard grammar, which is what
        advertising frequently does in any language.

        Keep in mind that people at major Czech advertising agencies speak a
        language that's not exactly Czech anyway. It's a sort of pidgin with
        elements of other languages mixed in. You're seeing this foisted on
        the Czech public, most probably. And most probably, the public is
        going to pick some of it up.

        In many types of sentences even standard Czech requires the listener
        to fill in a word, phrase or concept mentally. After all, when you
        hear, "Jedu do banky," do you really think the person is going to
        crash his car into the front of the bank? Or that it's a drive-in bank?

        Jamie

      • Michal Boleslav Měchura
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
          Takhle to dopadá, když se člověk snaží natlačit možnosti jednoho jazyka do restrikcí druhého.

          Michal