Re: [Czechlist] Comparative wordcounts

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 9:58 AM
      On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Renata Korpak wrote:

      > I hope I am not repeating a banality that might have been mentioned
      > earlier
      > but I think that two issues are being confused in this discussion;

      Thanks, Renata. I was also thinking about the analytical nature of
      English as opposed to the synthetic character of Czech. I have also
      noticed, as you mentioned, that where no coined terms exist, Czech
      has to use circumlocutions, which can lengthen the text. Czechs seem
      to be much more reticent about adopting foreignisms or slang terms
      into the formal language, and this can result in very long phrases
      being used to avoid them.

      When English translations come out very substantially shorter than
      the Czech, however, I find it's often largely due to the fact that
      many Czech writers feel the need to display formality or their own
      intellectualism to a degree that is very inappropriate in the same
      type of text in English. The English text winds up shorter just due
      to the removal of all this "lard", which would make the text
      frustrating to read, if it were transfered to the target language.

      Just a thought.