Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Czechlist] Help: SW for website creation

Expand Messages
  • Mike Trittipo
    ... Also well worth considering is Nvu, also open source and free. ... Agreed on both counts.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4 9:35 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      James Kirchner wrote:
      > Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called Composer that is about
      > as good as you can get for free.
      > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
      >
      Also well worth considering is Nvu, also open source and free.

      > The industry standard (at least in my country) is still Dreamweaver. . . .
      >
      > It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage, because . . ..

      Agreed on both counts.
    • James Kirchner
      I checked out the site for Golden HTML Editor, and when I tried to look at the odkazy , not one of the sites loaded. I wonder what s up with that. Jamie ...
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4 9:41 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        I checked out the site for Golden HTML Editor, and when I tried to
        look at the "odkazy", not one of the sites loaded. I wonder what's
        up with that.

        Jamie

        On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:

        > 1. Ive been using GOLDEN HTML EDITOR 4.8.3 - freeware
        > http://www.golden-html.com/index.php3?lang=cz&zone=0&menu=3
        >
        > 2. A friend of mine has been using: HomeSite by
        > Macromedia
        >
        > Standa
        >
        > --- James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called
        > > Composer that is about
        > > as good as you can get for free.
        > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
        > >
        > > The industry standard (at least in my country) is
        > > still Dreamweaver.
        > > No free website creation software will give you
        > > creation
        > > possibilities as good as that does. It also has the
        > > advantage of
        > > creating sites that conform to universal web
        > > standards, so they
        > > should be compatible with all browsers, which isn't
        > > true of many
        > > sites created in FrontPage.
        > >
        > > Here is a page reviewing various inexpensive web
        > > design programs:
        > >
        > http://website-creation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
        > >
        > > It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage,
        > > because Microsoft loads
        > > it with all kinds of features that make its websites
        > > incompatible
        > > with browsers other than Internet Explorer. This is
        > > an important
        > > issue, since some businesses and universities (at
        > > least in the US)
        > > have started to discourage of prohibit the use of
        > > Internet Explorer
        > > because of all its virus and security problems.
        > > Another problem with
        > > MS FrontPage is that, like all Microsoft programs,
        > > it tries to "help"
        > > you by inserting a lot of code that isn't needed and
        > > can cause
        > > problems later. If you take a page that was made in
        > > another program,
        > > and then open it in FrontPage, FrontPage will often
        > > translate the
        > > code to make it Microsofty. A friend of mine lost a
        > > whole JavaScript
        > > routine that way, because FrontPage translated it
        > > into some Microsoft-
        > > proprietary language. The program is such bad news
        > > that when I
        > > worked in advertising we were forbidden even to have
        > > it on our
        > > computers.
        > >
        > > Jamie
        > >
        > > On Jul 4, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Zuzana Slanska wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hallo everybody,
        > > >
        > > > Can you help me to find some SW for website
        > > creation apart from
        > > > FrontPage? I
        > > > know there are many of them but I do not know how
        > > to find them. And
        > > > possibly
        > > > if you know whether they are free or not.
        > > >
        > > > Thank you very much in advance.
        > > >
        > > > Zuzana Slanska
        > > >
        > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been
        > > removed]
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > [Non-text portions of this message have been
        > > removed]
        > >
        > >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > __________________________________________________________
        > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its
        > simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine
        > http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
        >
        >



        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • James Kirchner
        Good suggestion! I ve downloaded Nvu, and it s VERY good for a free editor! Jamie ... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4 10:01 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          Good suggestion! I've downloaded Nvu, and it's VERY good for a free
          editor!

          Jamie

          On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Mike Trittipo wrote:

          > James Kirchner wrote:
          > > Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called Composer that is about
          > > as good as you can get for free.
          > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
          > >
          > Also well worth considering is Nvu, also open source and free.
          >
          > > The industry standard (at least in my country) is still
          > Dreamweaver. . . .
          > >
          > > It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage, because . . ..
          >
          > Agreed on both counts.
          >
          >



          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Stanislav Zizka
          Jamie use their old site: http://www.oknet.cz/lide/pavelp/ghe/ they mention on their new web (www.golden-html.com) site that not all the links work properly
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4 10:03 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            Jamie

            use their old site:
            http://www.oknet.cz/lide/pavelp/ghe/

            they mention on their new web (www.golden-html.com)
            site that not all the links work properly yet.. that
            happens.

            otherwise can be downloaded through stahuj.cz easily,
            too

            standa

            --- James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

            > I checked out the site for Golden HTML Editor, and
            > when I tried to
            > look at the "odkazy", not one of the sites loaded.
            > I wonder what's
            > up with that.
            >
            > Jamie
            >
            > On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:
            >
            > > 1. Ive been using GOLDEN HTML EDITOR 4.8.3 -
            > freeware
            > >
            >
            http://www.golden-html.com/index.php3?lang=cz&zone=0&menu=3
            > >
            > > 2. A friend of mine has been using: HomeSite by
            > > Macromedia
            > >
            > > Standa
            > >
            > > --- James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called
            > > > Composer that is about
            > > > as good as you can get for free.
            > > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
            > > >
            > > > The industry standard (at least in my country)
            > is
            > > > still Dreamweaver.
            > > > No free website creation software will give you
            > > > creation
            > > > possibilities as good as that does. It also has
            > the
            > > > advantage of
            > > > creating sites that conform to universal web
            > > > standards, so they
            > > > should be compatible with all browsers, which
            > isn't
            > > > true of many
            > > > sites created in FrontPage.
            > > >
            > > > Here is a page reviewing various inexpensive web
            > > > design programs:
            > > >
            > >
            >
            http://website-creation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
            > > >
            > > > It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage,
            > > > because Microsoft loads
            > > > it with all kinds of features that make its
            > websites
            > > > incompatible
            > > > with browsers other than Internet Explorer. This
            > is
            > > > an important
            > > > issue, since some businesses and universities
            > (at
            > > > least in the US)
            > > > have started to discourage of prohibit the use
            > of
            > > > Internet Explorer
            > > > because of all its virus and security problems.
            > > > Another problem with
            > > > MS FrontPage is that, like all Microsoft
            > programs,
            > > > it tries to "help"
            > > > you by inserting a lot of code that isn't needed
            > and
            > > > can cause
            > > > problems later. If you take a page that was made
            > in
            > > > another program,
            > > > and then open it in FrontPage, FrontPage will
            > often
            > > > translate the
            > > > code to make it Microsofty. A friend of mine
            > lost a
            > > > whole JavaScript
            > > > routine that way, because FrontPage translated
            > it
            > > > into some Microsoft-
            > > > proprietary language. The program is such bad
            > news
            > > > that when I
            > > > worked in advertising we were forbidden even to
            > have
            > > > it on our
            > > > computers.
            > > >
            > > > Jamie
            > > >
            > > > On Jul 4, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Zuzana Slanska
            > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > > Hallo everybody,
            > > > >
            > > > > Can you help me to find some SW for website
            > > > creation apart from
            > > > > FrontPage? I
            > > > > know there are many of them but I do not know
            > how
            > > > to find them. And
            > > > > possibly
            > > > > if you know whether they are free or not.
            > > > >
            > > > > Thank you very much in advance.
            > > > >
            > > > > Zuzana Slanska
            > > > >
            > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been
            > > > removed]
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been
            > > > removed]
            > > >
            > > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            __________________________________________________________
            > > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning
            > in its
            > > simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine
            > > http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            > >
            > >
            >
            >
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been
            > removed]
            >
            >




            ___________________________________________________________
            Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
          • Valerie Talacko
            Another vote for Nvu from me - I ve been using it and I love it. Very straightforward. Valerie ... From: James Kirchner To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com Sent:
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4 12:36 PM
            • 0 Attachment
              Another vote for Nvu from me - I've been using it and I love it. Very straightforward.

              Valerie

              ----- Original Message -----
              From: James Kirchner
              To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
              Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:01 PM
              Subject: Re: [Czechlist] Help: SW for website creation


              Good suggestion! I've downloaded Nvu, and it's VERY good for a free
              editor!

              Jamie

              On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Mike Trittipo wrote:

              > James Kirchner wrote:
              > > Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called Composer that is about
              > > as good as you can get for free.
              > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
              > >
              > Also well worth considering is Nvu, also open source and free.
              >
              > > The industry standard (at least in my country) is still
              > Dreamweaver. . . .
              > >
              > > It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage, because . . ..
              >
              > Agreed on both counts.
              >
              >

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • sarka@mrazek.cz
              ahoj, celkem dlouho jsem pouzivala EasyPad http://www.elka.cz/easypad/ vytecna je quanta http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/ - ta ale bezi na linuxu oba editory jsou
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4 1:20 PM
              • 0 Attachment
                ahoj,

                celkem dlouho jsem pouzivala EasyPad http://www.elka.cz/easypad/
                vytecna je quanta http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/ - ta ale bezi na linuxu

                oba editory jsou ale non-wysiwyg, tzn. je treba vedet aspon neco malicko o
                tom, jak se chova kod, kdyz ho clovek vytvari / edituje (coz je ostatne
                znalost, ktera se hodi vzdycky; clovek vi, ktera bije, kdyz se stranky
                chovaji divne).

                obecne: zalezi na tom, k cemu editor potrebujes. pokud cas od casu neco
                publikovat, wysiwyg editor (treba prave Nvu) se hodi; clovek toho nemusi znat
                moc a vysledky jsou slusne. rucni kodovani v editoru ma zas tu vyhodu, ze ma
                clovek kontrolu nad tim, co dela; osobne mi tenhle zpusob vyhovuje vic,
                zejmena pro lepsi moznost oddelovani obsahu (vlastni dokument) a formy (jak
                to bude vypadat - prostrednictvim kaskadovych stylu); to je celkem podstatne
                napriklad pro pristupnost stranek (nevidomi, kteri ctou skrze screenreadery
                apod.); komplexnejsi stranky se taky vyrazne lip udrzuji.

                sarka

                > Hallo everybody,
                >
                > Can you help me to find some SW for website creation apart from FrontPage?
                > I know there are many of them but I do not know how to find them. And
                > possibly if you know whether they are free or not.
                >
                > Thank you very much in advance.
                >
                > Zuzana Slanska
              • Mike Trittipo
                ... Tak otazka zni: vi nebo emacs? :-)
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4 1:45 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  sarka@... wrote:
                  > rucni kodovani v editoru ma zas tu vyhodu, ze ma
                  > clovek kontrolu nad tim, co dela; osobne mi tenhle zpusob vyhovuje vic,
                  >
                  Tak otazka zni: vi nebo emacs? :-)
                • Zuzana Slanska
                  Thank you very much to everybody who tried to advice me some SW. As usual you have been very helpful. Now I have to work but then I will examine all SW and
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5 2:48 AM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Thank you very much to everybody who tried to advice me some SW. As usual
                    you have been very helpful. Now I have to work but then I will examine all
                    SW and websites you adviced me. Thank you very much again.

                    Zuzana Slanska

                    -----Original Message-----
                    From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com]On
                    Behalf Of James Kirchner
                    Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 5:43 PM
                    To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [Czechlist] Help: SW for website creation


                    Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called Composer that is about
                    as good as you can get for free.
                    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

                    The industry standard (at least in my country) is still Dreamweaver.
                    No free website creation software will give you creation
                    possibilities as good as that does. It also has the advantage of
                    creating sites that conform to universal web standards, so they
                    should be compatible with all browsers, which isn't true of many
                    sites created in FrontPage.

                    Here is a page reviewing various inexpensive web design programs:
                    http://website-creation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

                    It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage, because Microsoft loads
                    it with all kinds of features that make its websites incompatible
                    with browsers other than Internet Explorer. This is an important
                    issue, since some businesses and universities (at least in the US)
                    have started to discourage of prohibit the use of Internet Explorer
                    because of all its virus and security problems. Another problem with
                    MS FrontPage is that, like all Microsoft programs, it tries to "help"
                    you by inserting a lot of code that isn't needed and can cause
                    problems later. If you take a page that was made in another program,
                    and then open it in FrontPage, FrontPage will often translate the
                    code to make it Microsofty. A friend of mine lost a whole JavaScript
                    routine that way, because FrontPage translated it into some Microsoft-
                    proprietary language. The program is such bad news that when I
                    worked in advertising we were forbidden even to have it on our
                    computers.

                    Jamie

                    On Jul 4, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Zuzana Slanska wrote:

                    > Hallo everybody,
                    >
                    > Can you help me to find some SW for website creation apart from
                    > FrontPage? I
                    > know there are many of them but I do not know how to find them. And
                    > possibly
                    > if you know whether they are free or not.
                    >
                    > Thank you very much in advance.
                    >
                    > Zuzana Slanska
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                    >
                    >

                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • kzgafas
                    ... I agree this is a crucial point how the final website gets displayed with different browsers. Mozilla Firefox is used roughly by 25% users nowadays, so it
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5 6:50 AM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      > No free website creation software will give you creation
                      > possibilities as good as that does. It also has the advantage of
                      > creating sites that conform to universal web standards, so they
                      > should be compatible with all browsers, which isn't true of many
                      > sites created in FrontPage.

                      I agree this is a crucial point how the final website gets displayed
                      with different browsers. Mozilla Firefox is used roughly by 25% users
                      nowadays, so it must be taken into account seriously. I have just
                      tested my Frontpage made site on Mozilla, and I must admit it does
                      alter under this browser, but in a non-significant way, just some
                      changes in colors. Nothing that would have an influence on its impact
                      on visitors.

                      K.
                    • James Kirchner
                      However, sometimes the impact is significant, and a FrontPage site is basically nonfunctional in any browser but Internet Explorer. A prime example was the
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5 7:54 AM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        However, sometimes the impact is significant, and a FrontPage site is
                        basically nonfunctional in any browser but Internet Explorer. A
                        prime example was the website of the Czech embassy in Washington
                        about a year ago. They've fixed it since, but they still don't have
                        it quite right.

                        Jamie

                        On Jul 5, 2006, at 9:50 AM, kzgafas wrote:

                        > > No free website creation software will give you creation
                        > > possibilities as good as that does. It also has the advantage of
                        > > creating sites that conform to universal web standards, so they
                        > > should be compatible with all browsers, which isn't true of many
                        > > sites created in FrontPage.
                        >
                        > I agree this is a crucial point how the final website gets displayed
                        > with different browsers. Mozilla Firefox is used roughly by 25% users
                        > nowadays, so it must be taken into account seriously. I have just
                        > tested my Frontpage made site on Mozilla, and I must admit it does
                        > alter under this browser, but in a non-significant way, just some
                        > changes in colors. Nothing that would have an influence on its impact
                        > on visitors.
                        >
                        > K.
                        >
                        >
                        >



                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.