Re: [Czechlist] Help: SW for website creation

  • Mike Trittipo
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
      James Kirchner wrote:
      > Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called Composer that is about
      > as good as you can get for free.
      > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

      Also well worth considering is Nvu, also open source and free.

      > The industry standard (at least in my country) is still Dreamweaver. . . .
      >
      > It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage, because . . ..

      Agreed on both counts.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
        Proc je vsechno v Cechach vzdycky zlate?

        A dal: Proc se jmenuji tolik hospod, restauraci a dalsich mist
        "Charlie"?

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
          I checked out the site for Golden HTML Editor, and when I tried to
          look at the "odkazy", not one of the sites loaded. I wonder what's
          up with that.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
            Good suggestion! I've downloaded Nvu, and it's VERY good for a free
            editor!

            Jamie

            On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Mike Trittipo wrote:

            > James Kirchner wrote:
            > > Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called Composer that is about
            > > as good as you can get for free.
            > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
            > >
            > Also well worth considering is Nvu, also open source and free.
            >
            > > The industry standard (at least in my country) is still
            > Dreamweaver. . . .
            > >
            > > It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage, because . . ..
            >
            > Agreed on both counts.

          • Stanislav Zizka
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006

              use their old site:
              http://www.oknet.cz/lide/pavelp/ghe/

              they mention on their new web (www.golden-html.com)
              site that not all the links work properly yet.. that
              happens.

              otherwise can be downloaded through stahuj.cz easily,
              too

              Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                Another vote for Nvu from me - I've been using it and I love it. Very straightforward.

                Valerie

              • sarka@mrazek.cz
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                  ahoj,

                  celkem dlouho jsem pouzivala EasyPad http://www.elka.cz/easypad/
                  vytecna je quanta http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/ - ta ale bezi na linuxu

                  oba editory jsou ale non-wysiwyg, tzn. je treba vedet aspon neco malicko o
                  tom, jak se chova kod, kdyz ho clovek vytvari / edituje (coz je ostatne
                  znalost, ktera se hodi vzdycky; clovek vi, ktera bije, kdyz se stranky
                  chovaji divne).

                  obecne: zalezi na tom, k cemu editor potrebujes. pokud cas od casu neco
                  publikovat, wysiwyg editor (treba prave Nvu) se hodi; clovek toho nemusi znat
                  moc a vysledky jsou slusne. rucni kodovani v editoru ma zas tu vyhodu, ze ma
                  clovek kontrolu nad tim, co dela; osobne mi tenhle zpusob vyhovuje vic,
                  zejmena pro lepsi moznost oddelovani obsahu (vlastni dokument) a formy (jak
                  to bude vypadat - prostrednictvim kaskadovych stylu); to je celkem podstatne
                  napriklad pro pristupnost stranek (nevidomi, kteri ctou skrze screenreadery
                  apod.); komplexnejsi stranky se taky vyrazne lip udrzuji.

                  sarka

                  > Hallo everybody,
                  >
                  > Can you help me to find some SW for website creation apart from FrontPage?
                  > I know there are many of them but I do not know how to find them. And
                  > possibly if you know whether they are free or not.
                  >
                  > Thank you very much in advance.
                  >
                  > Zuzana Slanska
                • Mike Trittipo
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                    sarka@... wrote:
                    > rucni kodovani v editoru ma zas tu vyhodu, ze ma
                    > clovek kontrolu nad tim, co dela; osobne mi tenhle zpusob vyhovuje vic,

                    Tak otazka zni: vi nebo emacs? :-)
                  • Zuzana Slanska
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                      Thank you very much to everybody who tried to advice me some SW. As usual
                      you have been very helpful. Now I have to work but then I will examine all
                      SW and websites you adviced me. Thank you very much again.

                      Zuzana Slanska

                      Mozilla Suite contains an HTML editor called Composer that is about
                      as good as you can get for free.
                      http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

                      The industry standard (at least in my country) is still Dreamweaver.
                      No free website creation software will give you creation
                      possibilities as good as that does. It also has the advantage of
                      creating sites that conform to universal web standards, so they
                      should be compatible with all browsers, which isn't true of many
                      sites created in FrontPage.

                      Here is a page reviewing various inexpensive web design programs:
                      http://website-creation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

                      It's a good idea to stay away from FrontPage, because Microsoft loads
                      it with all kinds of features that make its websites incompatible
                      with browsers other than Internet Explorer. This is an important
                      issue, since some businesses and universities (at least in the US)
                      have started to discourage of prohibit the use of Internet Explorer
                      because of all its virus and security problems. Another problem with
                      MS FrontPage is that, like all Microsoft programs, it tries to "help"
                      you by inserting a lot of code that isn't needed and can cause
                      problems later. If you take a page that was made in another program,
                      and then open it in FrontPage, FrontPage will often translate the
                      code to make it Microsofty. A friend of mine lost a whole JavaScript
                      routine that way, because FrontPage translated it into some Microsoft-
                      proprietary language. The program is such bad news that when I
                      worked in advertising we were forbidden even to have it on our
                      computers.

                      Jamie

                      On Jul 4, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Zuzana Slanska wrote:

                      > Hallo everybody,
                      >
                      > Can you help me to find some SW for website creation apart from
                      > FrontPage? I
                      > know there are many of them but I do not know how to find them. And
                      > possibly
                      > if you know whether they are free or not.
                      >
                      > Thank you very much in advance.
                      >
                      > Zuzana Slanska

                    • kzgafas
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                        > No free website creation software will give you creation
                        > possibilities as good as that does. It also has the advantage of
                        > creating sites that conform to universal web standards, so they
                        > should be compatible with all browsers, which isn't true of many
                        > sites created in FrontPage.

                        I agree this is a crucial point how the final website gets displayed
                        with different browsers. Mozilla Firefox is used roughly by 25% users
                        nowadays, so it must be taken into account seriously. I have just
                        tested my Frontpage made site on Mozilla, and I must admit it does
                        alter under this browser, but in a non-significant way, just some
                        changes in colors. Nothing that would have an influence on its impact
                        on visitors.

                        K.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                          However, sometimes the impact is significant, and a FrontPage site is
                          basically nonfunctional in any browser but Internet Explorer. A
                          prime example was the website of the Czech embassy in Washington
                          about a year ago. They've fixed it since, but they still don't have
                          it quite right.

                          Jamie