Nadhled

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2006
      I have yet to come up with really good English equivalents for 'nadhled' or 's nadhledem' as in, for example, 's ironii a nadhledem.' Does anyone have any good ideas? 'Dispassionately' and 'with detachment' will only take you so far...

      Thanks!

      Valerie

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@...> wrote:

        > I have yet to come up with really good English equivalents for
        'nadhled' or 's nadhledem' as in, for example, 's ironii a nadhledem.'
        Does anyone have any good ideas? 'Dispassionately' and 'with
        detachment' will only take you so far...

        Hi Valerie,

        Can you roughly describe what you think is missing from the above? If
        we break down this idea of 'nadhled' into its components, could 'cool'
        be amongst them here, as in 'with irony and (a certain) cool
        detachment/disengagement'? :-) And are we also dealing here with 'a
        grander/greater/broader perspective'?

        Yours tentatively,

        M.
      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
          Thanks - yes, cool(ly) is a good one. The main problem, however, is that nadhled seems to be used very frequently and standardly as a label for an artistic style, almost - 'they display this, that and nadhled' and we just don't have a concept that is equally 'standard' and recognisable. I've used 'with perspective' in one place and it works OK - but only just.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@...> wrote:

            > Thanks - yes, cool(ly) is a good one. The main problem, however, is
            that nadhled seems to be used very frequently and standardly as a
            label for an artistic style, almost

            An 'aesthetic sensibility' already?

            >- 'they display this, that and nadhled' and we just don't have a
            concept that is equally 'standard' and recognisable.

            Dude, if you want a small token of standard chic, then this sounds
            like a job for the 'uber-' prefix. Absolutely de rigeur in many modern
            arty contexts ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/ ) and you get bonus
            Czechlist chic points for the umlaut. Uber-insight or uber-perspective
            something or uber? :-)

            http://imag.lutik.ru/