Re: [Czechlist] Re: thanks: stejnopis, oponentura

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2006
      Thanks a lot, Melvyn.
      H.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...>
      To: <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 10:17 AM
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: stejnopis, oponentura

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > please help with the above. Duplicate sounds ok but what if the CZ
      version says "tri stejnopisy"? DUPLIcate sounds like TWO copies to me,
      not three.

      But surely the notion of twoness here applies to the relationship
      between the original and its counterpart, not the relationship between
      a counterpart and other counterparts. Anyway, you can check out some
      past discussions on this issue in our new super-fast online search
      facility at:

      > Any equivalents for "oponentura" and "oponovat" a paper, thesis,
      etc. will also be greatly appreciated.

      For 'oponentske rizeni' old Poldauf suggests: "disputation (of a
      thesis; ke kandidature [PhD] oral" - possibly just British usage, but
      I remember that that part of my B.A. dissertation (on the influence of
      Nietzsche and Schopenhauer on the philosophy of Ladislav Klima =:-O)
      was also referred to as 'the oral'. Poldauf translates 'oponentura'
      as 'an opposer's position; opposition" and 'oponovat' as 'to act as an
      opposer'. 'Opposer' is pretty ancient these days - I'd say 'opponent'
      is more common here. Note Fronek refers to an '(external) examiner'.
      I'd say 'oral examiner' crops up quite frequently.

      Laska je strategema tyranskeho pudu.
      - L. Klima

      Yahoo! Groups Links