names U krokodyla

  • Amir
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
      Mam trochu problem s vymyslenim nazvu jeskyn - pokud by slo o hospodu
      bylo by "U ..." = "At ..". Muzu pouzit stejny pristup pokud jde o
      jeskyne apod? Napr jeskyne U krokodyla.

      Thx AZ
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
        I don't even think it's a good idea to translate the "U" in pub names
        at all, since that preposition is never in pub names in English, as
        far as I know. For example, "U dvou kocek" should be "The Two Cats"
        or even, if you wanted to take it really far, "Sign of the Two Cats".

        If there is a cave called "U krokodyla", then I'd just call it
        "Crocodile Cave" or more poetically "Crocodile Caverns". I know of
        no caves that have "At" in their names.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006

          > I don't even think it's a good idea to translate the "U" in pub names
          > at all, since that preposition is never in pub names in English, as
          > far as I know. For example, "U dvou kocek" should be "The Two Cats"
          > or even, if you wanted to take it really far, "Sign of the Two Cats".

          Yeah, "At the Sign of the Two Cats" would sound pretty historical,
          pseudo-historical, Olde Worlde, Tolkienesque etc.

          > If there is a cave called "U krokodyla", then I'd just call it
          > "Crocodile Cave"

          What is the 'U' meant to convey here? I mean it's not a common way of
          naming caves, is it? Is it meant to give the humorous impression that
          the cave is like a tavern or that we are at home with/chez Mr
          Crocodile or something? Why a crocodile anyway?

          There's a little hut that sells beer in summer just by the lake here.
          It's known locally as 'U komara'. Not sure how to translate that one
          either.

          >or more poetically "Crocodile Caverns".

          Gator grotto (!Yes, I know they're not the same thing). Actually,
          'grotto' has a nice cosy ring to it. Maybe that could compensate for
          any loss of expressive colouring.

          This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.
          - Wolfgang Pauli
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
            On Jun 7, 2006, at 8:50 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

            > Gator grotto (!Yes, I know they're not the same thing). Actually,
            > 'grotto' has a nice cosy ring to it. Maybe that could compensate for
            > any loss of expressive colouring.

            Gator Grotto is a really funny idea. I like it.

            In communist days there used to be a really funny "U" name for those
            battleship grey booths on the street that sold grilled kielbasa on
            grey cardboard. Can anybody tell me what the name was? I found it
            hysterically funny, but I can't remember it now.

          • Hana Viansová
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
              Could that be uzenarstvi? (dlouhe a, hacek nad r) (provided you meant
              KLOBASA)? :-)

              On Jun 7, 2006, at 8:50 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

              > Gator grotto (!Yes, I know they're not the same thing). Actually,
              > 'grotto' has a nice cosy ring to it. Maybe that could compensate for
              > any loss of expressive colouring.

              Gator Grotto is a really funny idea. I like it.

              In communist days there used to be a really funny "U" name for those
              battleship grey booths on the street that sold grilled kielbasa on
              grey cardboard. Can anybody tell me what the name was? I found it
              hysterically funny, but I can't remember it now.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Hana Viansová
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
                Oh, and a long i...

                > Could that be uzenarstvi? (dlouhe a, hacek nad r) (provided you meant
                > KLOBASA)? :-)

              • Terminus Technicus
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
                  I think Jamie's after a funny colloquial name along the lines of "U mastne
                  huby", or "U spekouna", but I don't remember anything specific for street
                  sausage vendor booths (U mastneho tacku?) - could be a Marianske Lazne slang
                  item...

                  > Could that be uzenarstvi? (dlouhe a, hacek nad r) (provided you meant
                  > KLOBASA)? :-)

                • coilinoc
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
                    :

                    > Could that be uzenarstvi? (dlouhe a, hacek nad r) (provided you
                    meant
                    > KLOBASA)? :-)

                    FWIW, klobasa is generally known as kielbasa in English, presumably
                    cos so many Polish emigrants made their presence felt in the US, which
                    resulted in their word for this fatty sasuage entering the English
                    lexicon ahead of the Czech one...
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
                      That's right. We call it kielbasa here.

                      Jamie

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
                        I originally heard whatever the name was from someone who didn't live
                        in Marianske Lazne (where I actually never saw one of those places),
                        so it's probably not from there. Your names are good, though. Thanks.

                        Jamie

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
                          Have Czechlist postings started reaching anybody else in a weird
                          format with teeny-tiny type that it is not possible to edit in a reply?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006

                            > Have Czechlist postings started reaching anybody else in a weird
                            > format with teeny-tiny type that it is not possible to edit in a reply?

                            Yahoo Groups have started ****ing around with the format. You can
                            check out the details and "share your thoughts", as they put it here:

                            They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...
                            - Last words of Gen. John Sedgwick
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 7, 2006
                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                              > Yahoo Groups have started ****ing around with the format. You can
                              > check out the details and "share your thoughts", as they put it here:

                              At least the Czechlist archive search facility has suddenly got a lot
                              faster. Looks like somebody has put a shilling in the meter.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 9, 2006
                                In my e-mail I've just gotten this month's promotional letter from a
                                company that sells Czech books in North America. One book title
                                would make a good contest for translators.

                                The book is supposed to be a guide on basic social manners for small
                                children, and it's called "Neotesánek". How would you tackle THAT
                                one in English?!

                                Furthermore, it teaches kids not to be an "Otesánek" and how to be a
                                "Neotesánek". The closest I can think of offhand is the bipolar
                                classification they used to use on the old Romper Room TV show on our
                                local Canadian channel. Kids were taught to be a "Do Bee" and not a
                                "Don't Bee" (illustrated with little bee pictures).

                                Anyone want to try it?

                                Jamie
                              • Hana Viansová
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 10, 2006
                                  Do I understand correctly that Neotesanek is the good guy? That would sound
                                  funny to me as being "neotesany" is IMHO nothing to be proud of... (meaning
                                  a hick, an oaf or the like).
                                  Hanka

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 10, 2006
                                    Yes, it appears that he's supposed to be a polite child.

                                    Jamie

                                    On Jun 10, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

                                    > Do I understand correctly that Neotesanek is the good guy? That
                                    > would sound
                                    > funny to me as being "neotesany" is IMHO nothing to be proud of...
                                    > (meaning
                                    > a hick, an oaf or the like).
                                    > Hanka

                                  • Hana Viansová
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 10, 2006
                                      Then it doesn't make any sense to me at all. Otesanek was someone who was
                                      greedy, a glutton you might say. If the form "Neotesanek" was supposed to
                                      mean "not being a glutton", being modest etc., that would make some sense.
                                      But since "neotesany" is the direct opposite of "polite" I don't see the
                                      logic... maybe someone will help me see it:-).
                                      H.

                                      Yes, it appears that he's supposed to be a polite child.

                                      Jamie

                                      On Jun 10, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

                                      > Do I understand correctly that Neotesanek is the good guy? That
                                      > would sound
                                      > funny to me as being "neotesany" is IMHO nothing to be proud of...
                                      > (meaning
                                      > a hick, an oaf or the like).
                                      > Hanka

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • Gerald Turner
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 10, 2006
                                        Take a look at the blurb:
                                        http://www.citarny.cz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=460

                                        I would have thought it was something of local Czech interest. For my the
                                        illustrations are all too reminiscent of the 1970s/80s. Don't think I'll be
                                        buying it.

                                        Gerry

                                        On 10/06/06, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@...> wrote:

                                        > Then it doesn't make any sense to me at all. Otesanek was someone who
                                        > was
                                        > greedy, a glutton you might say. If the form "Neotesanek" was supposed to
                                        > mean "not being a glutton", being modest etc., that would make some sense.
                                        >
                                        > But since "neotesany" is the direct opposite of "polite" I don't see the
                                        > logic... maybe someone will help me see it:-).
                                        > H.

                                        Czech-In Translations
                                        V lesíčku 5
                                        150 00 Prague 5
                                        Czech Republic
                                        Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

                                        Experience*Style*Precision

                                      • Hana Viansová
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 10, 2006
                                          Ah-haaa! Now it DOES make sense. He started off as "neotesany" (thus the
                                          name) but slowly got molded and shaped into a polite kid:-).
                                          H.