Re: generacni vypoved

  • tomas_barendregt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@...>
      wrote:

      > Any suggestions for a snappy translation of this hackneyed expression
      > from the world of theatre/film crit?

      story of a generation?
      portrayal of a generation?

      Tom
    • Miluse Saskova-Pierce
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        Generation(al) Narrative?

        Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
        Minor Languages Section Head
        Department of Modern Languages
        1133 Oldfather Hall
        University of Nebraska at Lincoln
        NE 68588-0315

        e-mail: msaskova-pierce1@...

        Tel: (402) 472 1336
        Fax: (402) 472 0327

        "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@...>
        Sent by: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
        05.06.2006 10:21
        Please respond to
        Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

        Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
        cc

        Subject
        [Czechlist] Re: generacni vypoved

        wrote:

        > Any suggestions for a snappy translation of this hackneyed expression
        > from the world of theatre/film crit?

        story of a generation?
        portrayal of a generation?

        Tom

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Any suggestions for a snappy translation of this hackneyed expression
          > > from the world of theatre/film crit?
          >
          > story of a generation?
          > portrayal of a generation?
          >
          > Tom

          Thanks Tom,

          In that case I might go for "portrait of a g." in the particular context.

          Gerry
        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
            Testament of a generation?

            (have to credit my husband with this suggestion)

            Valerie

          • trigos@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
              Made a Google search of "Rebel without a cause" (in the assumption of it
              being a "generacni vypoved" par excellence) and generation).
              How does voice of a generation or testimony of a generation sounds to
              English ears?
              Jose*
              *

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, trigos@... wrote:

                > Made a Google search of "Rebel without a cause" (in the assumption
                of it
                > being a "generacni vypoved" par excellence) and generation).

                Nice idea.

                > How does voice of a generation or testimony of a generation sound to
                > English ears?
                > Jose*

                'Voice of a generation' is what first came to my mind as what we might
                typically say in that kind of general situation, but then I thought it
                might be too remote from Gerry's specific context. But maybe not.
                Testimony sounds fine to me too.

                M.
                Hey, hey, we're the Monkees,
                Always monkeying around,
                We're the young generation,
                And we've got something to say.
              • Gerald Turner
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Maybe testimony wins in the end.

                  Gerry

                  --
                  Czech-In Translations
                  V lesíčku 5