generacni vypoved

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      Any suggestions for a snappy translation of this hackneyed expression
      from the world of theatre/film crit?

      TIA

      Gerry
    • tomas_barendregt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@...>
        wrote:

        > Any suggestions for a snappy translation of this hackneyed expression
        > from the world of theatre/film crit?

        story of a generation?
        portrayal of a generation?

        Tom
      • Miluse Saskova-Pierce
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
          Generation(al) Narrative?

          Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
          Minor Languages Section Head
          Department of Modern Languages
          1133 Oldfather Hall
          University of Nebraska at Lincoln
          NE 68588-0315

          e-mail: msaskova-pierce1@...

          Tel: (402) 472 1336
          Fax: (402) 472 0327

          "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@...>
          Sent by: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          05.06.2006 10:21
          Please respond to
          Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          cc

          Subject
          [Czechlist] Re: generacni vypoved

          wrote:

          > Any suggestions for a snappy translation of this hackneyed expression
          > from the world of theatre/film crit?

          story of a generation?
          portrayal of a generation?

          Tom

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gerald Turner
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Any suggestions for a snappy translation of this hackneyed expression
            > > from the world of theatre/film crit?
            >
            > story of a generation?
            > portrayal of a generation?
            >
            > Tom

            Thanks Tom,

            In that case I might go for "portrait of a g." in the particular context.

            Gerry
          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
              Testament of a generation?

              (have to credit my husband with this suggestion)

              Valerie

            • trigos@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                Made a Google search of "Rebel without a cause" (in the assumption of it
                being a "generacni vypoved" par excellence) and generation).
                How does voice of a generation or testimony of a generation sounds to
                English ears?
                Jose*
                *

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, trigos@... wrote:

                  > Made a Google search of "Rebel without a cause" (in the assumption
                  of it
                  > being a "generacni vypoved" par excellence) and generation).

                  Nice idea.

                  > How does voice of a generation or testimony of a generation sound to
                  > English ears?
                  > Jose*

                  'Voice of a generation' is what first came to my mind as what we might
                  typically say in that kind of general situation, but then I thought it
                  might be too remote from Gerry's specific context. But maybe not.
                  Testimony sounds fine to me too.

                  M.
                  Hey, hey, we're the Monkees,
                  Always monkeying around,
                  We're the young generation,
                  And we've got something to say.
                • Gerald Turner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Maybe testimony wins in the end.

                    Gerry

                    --
                    Czech-In Translations
                    V lesíčku 5