TERM prurezova studie

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 17 , May 12, 2006
      Not sure how to translate "prurezova studie" to English . It is a kind
      of study obtaining representative information of population based on a
      smaller sample. Any ideas?

      Thank you,

      K.
      Message 2 of 17 , May 12, 2006
        I think we call it a cross-sectional study.

        Jamie

        On May 12, 2006, at 8:47 AM, kzgafas wrote:

        > Not sure how to translate "prurezova studie" to English . It is a kind
        > of study obtaining representative information of population based on a
        > smaller sample. Any ideas?
      • kzgafas
        Message 3 of 17 , May 12, 2006
          Indeed? I am quite surprised, I thought cross-sectional was rather a
          geometry term. But if you say this... I am just glad.

          Thank you,

          K.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...>

          Message 4 of 17 , May 12, 2006
            Google:
            A (prospective or retrospective) observational study in which a group
            is chosen (sometimes as a random sample) from a certain larger
            population, and the exposures of people in the group to an
            intervention and outcomes of interest are determined.
            www.gulflink.osd.mil/medsearch/glossary/glossary_c.shtml

            On May 12, 2006, at 9:15 AM, kzgafas wrote:

            > Indeed? I am quite surprised, I thought cross-sectional was rather a
            > geometry term. But if you say this... I am just glad.
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > K.
            >
            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I think we call it a cross-sectional study.
            > >
            > > Jamie
            > >
            > > On May 12, 2006, at 8:47 AM, kzgafas wrote:
            > >
            > > > Not sure how to translate "prurezova studie" to English . It is
            > a kind
            > > > of study obtaining representative information of population
            > based on a
            > > > smaller sample. Any ideas?

            > Hotel prague czech republic Travel to czech republic Czech republic
            > accommodation
            > Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech republic
            > accommodation
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

          • Prekladatelsky servis Pecinkova
            Message 5 of 17 , May 12, 2006
              What about "cross-functional". I know that "cross-functional team" is used
              in ISO standards, for instance, for "prurezovy tym".
              Iveta

              Message 6 of 17 , May 12, 2006
                On May 12, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Prekladatelsky servis Pecinkova wrote:

                > What about "cross-functional". I know that "cross-functional team"
                > is used
                > in ISO standards, for instance, for "prurezovy tym".

                I don't think we talk about "cross-functional" studies. Evidently,
                two different English concepts are translated with the same Czech word.

                Jamie
              • kzgafas
                Message 7 of 17 , May 12, 2006
                  Thanks again. I was so prejudiced against "cross-sectional" that I
                  even did not try to Google for it on my own.

                  wrote:

                  > Google:
                  > A (prospective or retrospective) observational study in which a
                  group
                  > is chosen (sometimes as a random sample) from a certain larger
                  > population, and the exposures of people in the group to an
                  > intervention and outcomes of interest are determined.
                  > www.gulflink.osd.mil/medsearch/glossary/glossary_c.shtml
                  >
                  > On May 12, 2006, at 9:15 AM, kzgafas wrote:
                  >
                  > > Indeed? I am quite surprised, I thought cross-sectional was
                  rather a
                  > > geometry term. But if you say this... I am just glad.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you,
                  > >
                  > > K.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I think we call it a cross-sectional study.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jamie

                  > > a kind
                  > > based on a

                  > > Hotel prague czech republic Travel to czech republic
                  Czech republic
                  > > accommodation
                  > > Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech
                  republic
                  > > accommodation
                  > >
                  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  > >
                  > > Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

                  Service.

                • Vitezslav Ruzicka
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 14, 2006
                    Setkal jsem se i s terminem "profile study". Nezapada to do kontextu?
                    Vit

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                      I've got someone's "vykaz o radnem studiu" from back in the commie
                      days, and it bears this phrase above the student's picture:

                      imatrikulacni slib vykonan

                      Is this some kind of oath to the Marxist-Lenin state or what? Any help?

                      Thanks.

                      Jamie
                    • sarka@mrazek.cz
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                        hi, jamie,

                        imatrikulacni slib is often translated as "matriculation oath", i've come
                        across an expression "matriculation vow" (just 3 google hits, though).

                        it's an oath made at the very beginning of the studies (imatrikulace). the act
                        itself is rather official, in prague it often takes place in karolinum (for
                        students at the charles university, amu etc.)

                        the text differs in different faculties but usually the fresh student promises
                        to be as good student as possible and a good member of the academic
                        community. rather serious example is at
                        http://twinsen.natur.cuni.cz/karolinka/2003/s/sinf.htm
                        very informal but quite informative when it comes to the content is at
                        http://pikomat.mff.cuni.cz/tabor/2003/hry/imatrikulace.html
                        ;-)

                        sarka

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                          Thank you. That helps a lot, and confirms what I assumed. I had
                          already gone with "matriculation oath".

                          Jamie

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                            Big mess here.

                            Can anyone tell me what the following acronyms for courses in a
                            university construction engineering curriculum would mean?

                            Statistika SK

                            KPS

                            NAP

                            SSK

                            STTA

                            TZB

                            PPP (pruznost, pevnost, plast.? elasticity, rigidity, plasticity?)

                            MPS

                            KDK

                            I assume "BK" is "betonova konstrukce".

                            Any help would be appreciated.

                            Thanks.

                            Jamie
                          • tomas_barendregt
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 21, 2006

                              > Statistika SK - Statistika stavebních konstrukcí
                              >
                              > KPS Konstrukce pozemních staveb
                              >
                              > NAP
                              >
                              > SSK (could this be just Statistika SK again?)
                              >
                              > STTA
                              >
                              > TZB Technicke zarizeni budov
                              >
                              > PPP (pruznost, pevnost, plast.? elasticity, rigidity, plasticity?)
                              >
                              > MPS
                              >
                              > KDK Kovove a drevene konstrukce
                              >
                              > I assume "BK" is "betonova konstrukce". Yes, but should be plural -
                              Betonove konstrukce.

                              Hi Jamie,

                              See above. Most of these I verified on the website of Stavebni fakulta
                              CVUT (www.fsv.cvut.cz). Some of them, I have no idea.

                              Tom
                            • Sárka Rubková
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                                Hi Jamie,

                                > MPS is mechanizace a provádení staveb

                                and

                                > SSK is (most probably) stavební a speciální konstrukce

                                sarka

                                > Statistika SK - Statistika stavebních konstrukcí
                                >
                                > KPS Konstrukce pozemních staveb
                                >
                                > NAP

                                (could this be just Statistika SK again?)

                                > STTA
                                >
                                > TZB Technicke zarizeni budov
                                >
                                > PPP (pruznost, pevnost, plast.? elasticity, rigidity, plasticity?)
                                >

                                > KDK Kovove a drevene konstrukce
                                >
                                > I assume "BK" is "betonova konstrukce". Yes, but should be plural -
                                Betonove konstrukce.

                                Hi Jamie,

                                See above. Most of these I verified on the website of Stavebni fakulta
                                CVUT (www.fsv.cvut.cz). Some of them, I have no idea.

                                Tom

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Jarda
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 22, 2006
                                  Hi, dear listmates!

                                  Jamie and Tomas wrote:

                                  > Statistika SK - Statistika stavebních konstrukcí

                                  Shoudn't this be just STATIKA instead of STATISTIKA?

                                  > NAP

                                  could be NATER (carka nad "A" a hacek nad "E") ASFALTOVY (carka nad "Y")
                                  PENETRACNI (hacek nad "C" a carka nad "Y")

                                  > SSK (could this be just Statistika SK again?)

                                  see above

                                  > STTA

                                  don't know, it could be a typo for STA (SPOLECNA TELEVIZNI ANTENA)

                                  HTH, have a nice day!

                                  Jarda
                                • Sárka Rubková
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 22, 2006
                                    >> Statistika SK - Statistika stavebních konstrukcí
                                    >
                                    > Shoudn't this be just STATIKA instead of STATISTIKA?

                                    I agree

                                    >> NAP
                                    >
                                    > could be NATER (carka nad "A" a hacek nad "E") ASFALTOVY (carka nad "Y")
                                    > PENETRACNI (hacek nad "C" a carka nad "Y")
                                    >> STTA
                                    >
                                    > don't know, it could be a typo for STA (SPOLECNA TELEVIZNI ANTENA)

                                    No, it cannot be name of a course

                                    Sarka

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 22, 2006
                                      Thanks, Tomas, Sarka and Jarda. This is a great help to me.