Re: term: Docent

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2006
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Amir" <amir.z@...> wrote:

      > is there any other way to say "Docent" in English apart from
      > "Associate Professor"?

      Old Poldauf suggests "senior lecturer".

      Is it ok to leave "MUDr." as "MUDr."?

      I think the last time we had this discussion, the ayes clearly had it.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2006
        On May 3, 2006, at 6:56 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

        > Is it ok to leave "MUDr." as "MUDr."?
        >
        > I think the last time we had this discussion, the ayes clearly had it.

        Except that almost no one will know what it means.

        Jamie
      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2006
          Dear Amir,

          In all events it depends on the context and the end user of the
          translation. As Jamie rightly points out MUDr is not used in the
          English-speaking world. What is the importance of the title in your
          particular context? You can always use Dr without offending the person
          (although AFAIK in UK surgeons use Mr - as a privilege). In most cases
          Czech title use is idiosyncratic and should be simplified; i.e. get
          rid of Ing and Mgr too.

          Gerry
          (ducking)

          --
          Czech-In Translations
          V lesíčku 5

          Experience*Style*Precision
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2006
            On May 4, 2006, at 2:45 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:

            > get rid of Ing and Mgr too.

            A lot of people think Mgr. means "manager", and I've run into people
            who think Ing. is an abbreviation of the person's first name, as if a
            disproportionate number of Czechs is named Ignac or something.

            Jamie
          • kzgafas
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2006
              I prefer translating MUDr. as M.D. to convey (explain) into English
              who that person is, and what he does. Czech MUDrs in the US are
              entitled to practice medicine there after they pass an exam so I
              regard them as MD in prinicple.

              Regarding docent - I usually omit that. Assoc. prof. maybe quite
              close to it, but I would stay away from translating it this way. If
              it follows from the context that the MD concerned does his own
              research (or practice) with his own laboratory (or department) and
              has his own staff , then it is clear that he is somewhere at the
              assoc. prof. level, and that title becomes redundant, I would say.

              But in many cases, I leave Czech "Prof." in English.

              K.