RE: [Czechlist] Re: Help: zivanska jehla

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 4:04 AM
      >> "flame-grilled meat skewer"

      > Do they grill just the skewer, or is there something on it? :-)

      Hopefully the meat...

      Jirka Bolech
    • sarka@saga.cz
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 4:10 AM
        hi, coilin,

        not sure about the etymology "zivanska" (živáň - příživník, zbojník, lupič,
        hence - possibly - the idea of an outlaw grilling the meat skewered on
        sword :-) but it seems to refer primarily to the fact that the meat is 1)
        mostly skewered (obviously always in case of "jehla", not always in case of
        "zivanska pecene") 2) grilled (open fire, hot ashes, grill... )

        bon apetit ;-)
        sarka

      • sarka@mrazek.cz
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 4:11 AM
          hi, coilin,

          not sure about the etymology "zivanska" (živáň - příživník, zbojník, lupič,
          hence - possibly - the idea of an outlaw grilling the meat skewered on
          sword :-) but it seems to refer primarily to the fact that the meat is 1)
          mostly skewered (obviously always in case of "jehla", not always in case of
          "zivanska pecene") 2) grilled (open fire, hot ashes, grill... )

          bon apetit ;-)
          sarka

          > Hi there,
          > I'm VERY sorry about the monotony of these queries... I don't know what
          > is happening this spring, but I am just utterly swamped with menus and
          > just when I think I have a handle on Czech chefs and their imagination
          > something comes along to knock the wind out of my sails.
          >
          > A "zivanska jehla" seems to be some sort of mixed-meat skewer, but I
          > would be grateful to any Czech NSers who could give me a bit more
          > information so that I could come up with an appetising English
          > translation...
          >
          > MTIA
          > Coilin
        • ing.Sárka Rubková
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 6:26 AM
            Zivanska (obvykle) pecene je okorenene maso hovezi, veprove a (nekdy)
            skopove, cibule a klobasa (vurty), nakrajene na kousky (cibule na kolecka) a
            napichnute stridave na jehlu a pecena na ohni (drevenem uhli), pri peceni se
            poleva pivem nebo vinem

            Sarka