RE: [Czechlist] Help: zivanska jehla

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2006
      Hi Coilin,

      It is skewer. The "zivanska" attributive originally means it is cooked over
      an open fire. The word is however often simply used in the names of some
      dishes that may be prepared in a different way. "Zivanska pecene" is a
      ususal dish.

      An example of recipe for "zivanska jehla":
      http://www.apetitonline.cz/recept/594/zivanska_jehla.html...

      Jirka Bolech
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2006
        Thank you Jirka
        So if I said something like "flame-grilled meat skewer" I'd hopefully
        cover all bases?
        Coilin

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2006
          > "flame-grilled meat skewer"

          Sounds fine to my ear...

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2006
            On May 2, 2006, at 6:31 AM, coilinoc wrote:

            > So if I said something like "flame-grilled meat skewer" I'd hopefully
            > cover all bases?

            Do they grill just the skewer, or is there something on it? :-)

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2006
              >> "flame-grilled meat skewer"

              > Do they grill just the skewer, or is there something on it? :-)

              Hopefully the meat...

              Jirka Bolech
            • sarka@saga.cz
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                hi, coilin,

                not sure about the etymology "zivanska" (živáň - příživník, zbojník, lupič,
                hence - possibly - the idea of an outlaw grilling the meat skewered on
                sword :-) but it seems to refer primarily to the fact that the meat is 1)
                mostly skewered (obviously always in case of "jehla", not always in case of
                "zivanska pecene") 2) grilled (open fire, hot ashes, grill... )

                bon apetit ;-)
                sarka

              • sarka@mrazek.cz
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                  hi, coilin,

                  not sure about the etymology "zivanska" (živáň - příživník, zbojník, lupič,
                  hence - possibly - the idea of an outlaw grilling the meat skewered on
                  sword :-) but it seems to refer primarily to the fact that the meat is 1)
                  mostly skewered (obviously always in case of "jehla", not always in case of
                  "zivanska pecene") 2) grilled (open fire, hot ashes, grill... )

                  bon apetit ;-)
                  sarka

                  > Hi there,
                  > I'm VERY sorry about the monotony of these queries... I don't know what
                  > is happening this spring, but I am just utterly swamped with menus and
                  > just when I think I have a handle on Czech chefs and their imagination
                  > something comes along to knock the wind out of my sails.
                  >
                  > A "zivanska jehla" seems to be some sort of mixed-meat skewer, but I
                  > would be grateful to any Czech NSers who could give me a bit more
                  > information so that I could come up with an appetising English
                  > translation...
                  >
                  > MTIA
                  > Coilin
                • ing.Sárka Rubková
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                    Zivanska (obvykle) pecene je okorenene maso hovezi, veprove a (nekdy)
                    skopove, cibule a klobasa (vurty), nakrajene na kousky (cibule na kolecka) a
                    napichnute stridave na jehlu a pecena na ohni (drevenem uhli), pri peceni se
                    poleva pivem nebo vinem

                    Sarka