Help: zivanska jehla

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 3:54 PM
      Hi there,
      I'm VERY sorry about the monotony of these queries... I don't know what
      is happening this spring, but I am just utterly swamped with menus and
      just when I think I have a handle on Czech chefs and their imagination
      something comes along to knock the wind out of my sails.

      A "zivanska jehla" seems to be some sort of mixed-meat skewer, but I
      would be grateful to any Czech NSers who could give me a bit more
      information so that I could come up with an appetising English
      translation...

      MTIA
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 2:49 AM
        Hi Coilin,

        It is skewer. The "zivanska" attributive originally means it is cooked over
        an open fire. The word is however often simply used in the names of some
        dishes that may be prepared in a different way. "Zivanska pecene" is a
        ususal dish.

        An example of recipe for "zivanska jehla":
        http://www.apetitonline.cz/recept/594/zivanska_jehla.html...

        Jirka Bolech
      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 3:31 AM
          Thank you Jirka
          So if I said something like "flame-grilled meat skewer" I'd hopefully
          cover all bases?
          Coilin

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 3:39 AM
            > "flame-grilled meat skewer"

            Sounds fine to my ear...

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2 3:50 AM
              On May 2, 2006, at 6:31 AM, coilinoc wrote:

              > So if I said something like "flame-grilled meat skewer" I'd hopefully
              > cover all bases?

              Do they grill just the skewer, or is there something on it? :-)

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2 4:04 AM
                >> "flame-grilled meat skewer"

                > Do they grill just the skewer, or is there something on it? :-)

                Hopefully the meat...

                Jirka Bolech
              • sarka@saga.cz
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2 4:10 AM
                  hi, coilin,

                  not sure about the etymology "zivanska" (živáň - příživník, zbojník, lupič,
                  hence - possibly - the idea of an outlaw grilling the meat skewered on
                  sword :-) but it seems to refer primarily to the fact that the meat is 1)
                  mostly skewered (obviously always in case of "jehla", not always in case of
                  "zivanska pecene") 2) grilled (open fire, hot ashes, grill... )

                  bon apetit ;-)
                  sarka

                • sarka@mrazek.cz
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2 4:11 AM
                    hi, coilin,

                    not sure about the etymology "zivanska" (živáň - příživník, zbojník, lupič,
                    hence - possibly - the idea of an outlaw grilling the meat skewered on
                    sword :-) but it seems to refer primarily to the fact that the meat is 1)
                    mostly skewered (obviously always in case of "jehla", not always in case of
                    "zivanska pecene") 2) grilled (open fire, hot ashes, grill... )

                    bon apetit ;-)
                    sarka

                    > Hi there,
                    > I'm VERY sorry about the monotony of these queries... I don't know what
                    > is happening this spring, but I am just utterly swamped with menus and
                    > just when I think I have a handle on Czech chefs and their imagination
                    > something comes along to knock the wind out of my sails.
                    >
                    > A "zivanska jehla" seems to be some sort of mixed-meat skewer, but I
                    > would be grateful to any Czech NSers who could give me a bit more
                    > information so that I could come up with an appetising English
                    > translation...
                    >
                    > MTIA
                    > Coilin
                  • ing.Sárka Rubková
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2 6:26 AM
                      Zivanska (obvykle) pecene je okorenene maso hovezi, veprove a (nekdy)
                      skopove, cibule a klobasa (vurty), nakrajene na kousky (cibule na kolecka) a
                      napichnute stridave na jehlu a pecena na ohni (drevenem uhli), pri peceni se
                      poleva pivem nebo vinem

                      Sarka