Re: pod svícnem je tma

  • spektrum2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
      Pro zajimavost: Poldauf uvadi "there are often low goings-on in high
      places", ale ja mam pocit, ze to take nema stejny smysl jako "pod
      svicnem ...".
      Petr Adamek
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
        You never see what's right under your nose.

        It's going to be some "right under your nose" expression.
        Unfortunately, that English expression doesn't sound as dark and dour
        as the Czech one.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
          I am reminded of a line from Star Wars:

          The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

          > Fronek's Cz>Eng dictionary suggests "still waters run deep" (in the
          form pod svícnem byva tma) for this adage, which does not convey the
          meaning of the Czech expression as I understand it (i.e. there is a
          human tendency not to look in the obvious place,

          Why not invent something?

          The devil has not fallen so far from the angels.

          If you seek the devil, look for an angel with a balance problem. :-)

          The criminal often hides at the scene of the crime.

          A fly will often hide on the fly-swat. :-)

          I like Jamie's "under your nose" idea, or you could play around with
          "staring us in the face" in some situations.

          Still, in most circumstances I would definitely retain the original
          idea here. Far too good to change.

          Ah, the answer is hiding in the question! ;-)

          M.
        • Kateřina Bryanová
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
            Hi, I agree with everything :), but: "STILL WATERS RUN DEEP" may be TICHA
            VODA BREHY MELE as well, don´t you think?
            kacka