Re: [Czechlist] Term: En-cz (shrink)

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
      On Apr 20, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

      > Co mi vsak neni moc jasne, je ten pravidelny tvar minuleho
      > pricesti, ktery
      > uvadis. Is 'shrinked' a common alternative to 'shrunk' or is it the
      > required
      > form in this meaning?

      "Shinked" is not a grammatically acceptable form in standard
      English. However, you never know what people are going to do with
      participles and past tenses in specialized meanings. Many graphic
      designers where I live use "flown" as the past participle of "flow"
      when they are talking about flowing electronic text into a page
      layout. We'd never write it in a manual, though.

      People on the retail floor (often not very well educated) may say
      "shrinked" when talking about inventory shrinkage, but it's not
      normal, generally acceptable English. And "shrunk" doesn't sound
      very good either in that context. I think it might be more normal to
      say, "Our inventory has undergone/experienced/suffered/seen some
      shrinkage."