Re: TERM: otuzovat se

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "magda.ferstlova" <ferstl@...> wrote:
      > Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni

      Asi by to slo jako 'hardening', treba s predmetem resp. s doplnkem 'to
      the cold':

      We hear no more of "hardening children." Sensible, warm garments for
      winter, the universal use of woolen underwear, and the adoption of
      those pretty, long "grandma" dresses and cloaks, has effected a
      wonderful revolution in favor of better health for the future.
      www.history.rochester.edu/ehp-book/yefhas/chap20.htm

      Mistakes about hardening children. Their clothing. Much cold enfeebles.
      www.gutenberg.org/files/10482/10482-8.txt

      He also mentions a supposedly widespread custom among non-Greeks of
      hardening children to adverse weather as training for war
      www.utexas.edu/utpress/excerpts/exfrewar.html

      BRRRRRRRR

      Melvyn (velky otuzilec)
    • martule2004
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "magda.ferstlova" <ferstl@>
        wrote:
        > > Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni
        >
        > Asi by to slo jako 'hardening', treba s predmetem resp. s
        doplnkem 'to
        > the cold':
        >
        > We hear no more of "hardening children." Sensible, warm garments
        for
        > winter, the universal use of woolen underwear, and the adoption of
        > those pretty, long "grandma" dresses and cloaks, has effected a
        > wonderful revolution in favor of better health for the future.
        > www.history.rochester.edu/ehp-book/yefhas/chap20.htm
        >
        > Mistakes about hardening children. Their clothing. Much cold
        enfeebles.
        > www.gutenberg.org/files/10482/10482-8.txt
        >
        > He also mentions a supposedly widespread custom among non-Greeks of
        > hardening children to adverse weather as training for war
        > www.utexas.edu/utpress/excerpts/exfrewar.html
        >
        > BRRRRRRRR
        >
        > Melvyn (velky otuzilec)

        A co takhle " become hardened" ? To by neslo?
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
          I'd go with "toughening" or "toughening up" in this context, rather
          than "hardening". The passages given sound a little archaic to me.
          I also think "inure" would be a better choice.

          On Mar 3, 2006, at 1:18 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "magda.ferstlova" <ferstl@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni

          Inurement to prevent flu and other viral illnesses.

          or

          Inuring children to prevent flu and other viral illnesses.