TERM: otuzovat se

  • magda.ferstlova
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
      Zdravim v pozdnich nocnich nebo spis brzkych rannich hodinach s dotazem na
      nejlepsi ekvivalent pro OTUZOVANI. Ve slovnicich jsem jen podezrele
      moznosti, tak moc prosim o radu
      TIA
      Magda
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        Naslepo navrhoval bych neco jako "getting into shape," "toughening
        up," "becoming battle-hardened" atd., ale je to tezkou najit presny
        preklad bez vic kontextu. Nemas celou vetu nahodou?

        Coilin

        > Zdravim v pozdnich nocnich nebo spis brzkych rannich hodinach s
        dotazem na
        > nejlepsi ekvivalent pro OTUZOVANI. Ve slovnicich jsem jen podezrele
        > moznosti, tak moc prosim o radu
        > TIA
        > Magda

      • magda.ferstlova
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni

          Naslepo navrhoval bych neco jako "getting into shape," "toughening up,"
          "becoming battle-hardened" atd., ale je to tezkou najit presny preklad bez
          vic kontextu. Nemas celou vetu nahodou?

          Coilin

          > Zdravim v pozdnich nocnich nebo spis brzkych rannich hodinach s
          dotazem na
          > nejlepsi ekvivalent pro OTUZOVANI. Ve slovnicich jsem jen podezrele
          > moznosti, tak moc prosim o radu TIA Magda

          Useful resource of the week:
          http://tinyurl.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
            Jestli tomu dobre rozumim pravdepodobne muzes pouzit "building up
            resistance"...

            Coilin

            > Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni

            On Behalf

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "magda.ferstlova" <ferstl@...> wrote:
              > Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni

              Asi by to slo jako 'hardening', treba s predmetem resp. s doplnkem 'to
              the cold':

              We hear no more of "hardening children." Sensible, warm garments for
              winter, the universal use of woolen underwear, and the adoption of
              those pretty, long "grandma" dresses and cloaks, has effected a
              wonderful revolution in favor of better health for the future.
              www.history.rochester.edu/ehp-book/yefhas/chap20.htm

              Mistakes about hardening children. Their clothing. Much cold enfeebles.
              www.gutenberg.org/files/10482/10482-8.txt

              He also mentions a supposedly widespread custom among non-Greeks of
              hardening children to adverse weather as training for war
              www.utexas.edu/utpress/excerpts/exfrewar.html

              BRRRRRRRR

              Melvyn (velky otuzilec)
            • martule2004
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "magda.ferstlova" <ferstl@>
                wrote:
                > > Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni
                >
                > Asi by to slo jako 'hardening', treba s predmetem resp. s
                doplnkem 'to
                > the cold':
                >
                > We hear no more of "hardening children." Sensible, warm garments
                for
                > winter, the universal use of woolen underwear, and the adoption of
                > those pretty, long "grandma" dresses and cloaks, has effected a
                > wonderful revolution in favor of better health for the future.
                > www.history.rochester.edu/ehp-book/yefhas/chap20.htm
                >
                > Mistakes about hardening children. Their clothing. Much cold
                enfeebles.
                > www.gutenberg.org/files/10482/10482-8.txt
                >
                > He also mentions a supposedly widespread custom among non-Greeks of
                > hardening children to adverse weather as training for war
                > www.utexas.edu/utpress/excerpts/exfrewar.html
                >
                > BRRRRRRRR
                >
                > Melvyn (velky otuzilec)

                A co takhle " become hardened" ? To by neslo?
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
                  I'd go with "toughening" or "toughening up" in this context, rather
                  than "hardening". The passages given sound a little archaic to me.
                  I also think "inure" would be a better choice.

                  On Mar 3, 2006, at 1:18 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "magda.ferstlova" <ferstl@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Otuzovani jako prevence chripky a jinych virovych onemocneni

                  Inurement to prevent flu and other viral illnesses.

                  or

                  Inuring children to prevent flu and other viral illnesses.