TERMS: poptavka vs. nabidka

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
      Context:
      A large telecom company needs to choose among more suppliers of
      speficic devices. So they issue poptavka (poptavkovy dokument) to
      these suppliers to make their nabidka to the telecom company so that
      the company can choose the best offer (price vs. quality). How would
      you render poptavka and nabidka in this context? Quite frankly, I have
      never felt really comfortable in rendering this pair (nabidka vs.
      poptavka) in English. May I use "bid" for nabidka? Isnt it too
      slangish? I am looking for something that would fit into a formal and
      carefully prepared (official) poptavkovy dokument.

      Thank you,

      K.
    • Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
        An American company I work for quite often uses "RFP" = request for quote
        (poptavka) vs. quote (nabidka). And they have heaps of official forms to
        support it.
        Iveta

        > A large telecom company needs to choose among more suppliers of
        > speficic devices. So they issue poptavka (poptavkovy dokument) to
        > these suppliers to make their nabidka to the telecom company so that
        > the company can choose the best offer (price vs. quality). How would
        > you render poptavka and nabidka in this context? Quite frankly, I have
        > never felt really comfortable in rendering this pair (nabidka vs.
        > poptavka) in English. May I use "bid" for nabidka? Isnt it too
        > slangish? I am looking for something that would fit into a formal and
        > carefully prepared (official) poptavkovy dokument.
        >

        > Thank you,
        >
        > K.
        >

        > Useful resource of the week:
        > http://tinyurl.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
          Seconded, RFQ (not P), especially in telco sector...

          > An American company I work for quite often uses "RFP" = request for quote
          > (poptavka) vs. quote (nabidka). And they have heaps of official forms to
          > support it.
          > Iveta

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
            A classic example of someone not minding their p's and q's
            perhaps? :-)

            > Seconded, RFQ (not P), especially in telco sector...

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:
              > A classic example of someone not minding their p's and q's
              > perhaps? :-)
              > > Seconded, RFQ (not P), especially in telco sector...

              From your smiley, I'm sure you know that RFP is in fact quite common,
              but for "request for proposal" instead of "request for quote."
            • kzgafas
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
                Thank you for this. Request and Quote sound really great for my use.
                And what about - nabizejici - the party (potential supplier)
                preparing the Quote? I have tried to use Offerer - but I think there
                should be something better. Or Bidder - this sounds slangish for my
                use. Or maybe it is OK(?). Any suggestions for nabizejici?

                Thank you,

                K.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pecinkova - prekladatelsky
                servis" <preklady@...> wrote:

                > An American company I work for quite often uses "RFP" = request
                for quote
                > (poptavka) vs. quote (nabidka). And they have heaps of official
                forms to
                > support it.
                > Iveta

              • Iveta Pecinkova - preklady a tlumoceni
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
                  I have seen "quoting company" in one of their forms.

                  Iveta

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
                    Of course, I meant RFQ, just a misprint. Sorry.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
                      My client (cold forging company) usually uses RFQ (quote) when the whole
                      project, design and price are involved.
                      They tend to use RFP (proposal) when, for example, only a material change is
                      involved - not for money reasons but, for instance, chemical composition to
                      achieve a better material flow or whatever. But for new product deliveries
                      they prefer "request for quote". But this may apply only to this company and
                      I wonder whether native speakers see any difference between RFQ and RFP in
                      this context.

                      Iveta

                      >> A classic example of someone not minding their p's and q's
                      >> perhaps? :-)
                      >> > Seconded, RFQ (not P), especially in telco sector...

                    • Jan Culka
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
                        AFAIK, Proposal, Quotation and even Offer are quite equivalent and thus also
                        used.
                        Bidder is quite kosher, Offerer cannot be seen anywhere, although maybe
                        correct.
                        Honza

                        > Thank you for this. Request and Quote sound really great for my use.
                        > And what about - nabizejici - the party (potential supplier)
                        > preparing the Quote? I have tried to use Offerer - but I think there
                        > should be something better. Or Bidder - this sounds slangish for my
                        > use. Or maybe it is OK(?). Any suggestions for nabizejici?
                        >
                        > Thank you,
                        >
                        > K.
                        >

                        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pecinkova - prekladatelsky
                        > servis" <preklady@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > An American company I work for quite often uses "RFP" = request
                        > for quote
                        > > (poptavka) vs. quote (nabidka). And they have heaps of official
                        > forms to
                        > > support it.
                        > > Iveta

                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Iveta Pecinkova - preklady a
                          tlumoceni" <preklady@...> wrote:
                          > I wonder whether native speakers see any difference
                          > between RFQ and RFP in this context.

                          I don't see much. In the U.S., I'd tend to limit the "quote" form,
                          which is almost never heard, as being for something pretty cut-and-
                          dried, standard, off-the-shelf, and "proposal" (which is what I've
                          almost always heard in a variety of contexts) as being for something
                          that might involve alternatives, design or project choices, etc. But
                          for any practical purpose, they'd be synonyms.

                          It may be a regional variation. Google shows the following
                          difference between the U.S. and the U.K.: when sites are made
                          predominantly U.S. by using the site restriction site:.edu, site:.gov
                          or site:.us, the proportion very very greatly favors RFP over RFQ
                          (i.e., "request for proposal" over "request for quote" both spelled
                          out in full and limited to precise string by quotation marks): by
                          149,000 to 700 in .edu, 227,000 to 900 in .gov, and 273,000 to 900
                          for .us -- but using a site restrictor of site:.uk produces a
                          disproportion markedly (though less extremely lopsided) the other
                          way: 160k for the RFQ and 24k for RFP (both spelled out in full, of
                          course). So the US has about a 180:1 favor for RFP; the UK about a
                          8:1 favor for RFQ.
                        • Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
                            Thanks, Michael