RE: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 5 1:41 AM
      Ahoj Magdo,

      > Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?

      Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja nemam v
      tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych se, ze ve
      stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to bude...

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 5 4:42 AM
        On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

        > Ahoj Magdo,
        >
        >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
        >
        > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
        > nemam v
        > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
        > se, ze ve
        > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
        > bude...

        I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
        this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
        specific way. I have also checked various American and British
        grammar manuals, and it's not in them.

        I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
        and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
        up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
        www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
        (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
        difference should be clear.

        Jamie
      • danabal@centrum.cz
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 5 12:33 PM
          Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

          "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day, but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number with a plural noun.
          I've got another three days of holiday.
          There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
          Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but not (in this sense) three other days."

          A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

          "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

          a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

          b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

          Dana Balicka
          > Od: jpklists@...
          > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          > CC:
          > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
          > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
          >

          > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
          >
          > > Ahoj Magdo,
          > >
          > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
          > >
          > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
          > > nemam v
          > > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
          > > se, ze ve
          > > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
          > > bude...
          >
          > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
          > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
          > specific way. I have also checked various American and British
          > grammar manuals, and it's not in them.
          >
          > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
          > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
          > up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
          > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
          > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
          > difference should be clear.
          >
          > Jamie
        • magda.ferstlova
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 5 2:12 PM
            Dano, to je presne ono. Swan nikdy nezklame, porad jsem se do nej chtela v
            praci kouknout, ale byla jste rychlejsi, diky moc!
            Magda

            Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

            "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day,
            but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number
            with a plural noun.
            I've got another three days of holiday.
            There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
            Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but
            not (in this sense) three other days."

            A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

            "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

            a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

            b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto
            druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another
            ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

            Dana Balicka
            > Od: jpklists@...
            > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
            > CC:
            > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
            > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
            >

            > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
            >
            > > Ahoj Magdo,
            > >
            > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
            > >
            > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
            > > nemam v tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul
            > > bych se, ze ve stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda
            > > Murphyho to bude...
            >
            > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
            > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
            > specific way. I have also checked various American and British grammar
            > manuals, and it's not in them.
            >
            > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
            > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look up
            > the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
            > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
            > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
            > difference should be clear.
            >
            > Jamie

            Czechlist resources:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 7 1:01 PM

              > A few years ago, I read a British book that kept referring to "the
              > Yemen". That article was a complete surprise to me. Is it normal
              to use it over there?

              Not these days IMHO.

              I found a useful article on the use of articles in country names:

              http://www.vxu.se/hum/publ/gtn/news01_1.html

              The natural starting-point would then be to find out under which
              names the governments of these nations want their countries to be
              known. In a sample of five different yearbooks, encyclopedias and UN
              publications two of these names never appear with the article, namely
              Lebanon and Yemen. On the other hand, the Congo is the preferred form
              in four out of the five sources.
              <snip>
              The Web search confirmed our other findings as regards Yemen and
              Lebanon. Only 2% and 1%, respectively, of their occurrences included
              the article.
              <snip>
              To sum up, if the warcry is 'Frequency Rules!', we can gladly
              continue saying and writing the Congo and the Gambia, but leave out
              the article in the other nation names. A justified pedagogical
              simplification is to tell students that they never have to use the
              definite article with any nation name in the singular. Personally, I
              would travesty the old saying 'When in Rome, do as the Romans', and
              try to live by the motto: 'When in the Gambia, say the Gambia, but
              when in Ukraine, don't say the Ukraine!'