Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen countries...

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
      Yes, Jamie,
      this is exactly what they taught us - when the name of the country
      includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom, etc,. they must include
      "the" as well.
      Is this correct from your point of view? And what about Thailand?
      Honza

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
        And how about my original question - ANOTHER used with PLURAL. Any ideas?
        Magda

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
          Mne ten vyklad uplne neuspokojuje. Znamena to, ze trebas: "All
          European countries seconded the proposal but other 18 countries were
          against it" je spatne a melo tam byt "another"?
          Ja jsem mel vzdycky pocit, ze "another eighteen" v sobe nese urcitou
          konotaci "batch of ..", "group of ..." apod. V cestine bych "other"
          (ez clenu) prelozil jako "jinych", kdezto "another" jako "dalsich".
          Petr Adamek

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
            Nazdar lidi,

            pred cislovkou se pouziva 'another', nikoliv 'other', ac se to muze jevit v
            rozporu s prvotnim vyznamem 'another' = 'an' + 'other' pro pouzivani pred
            pocitatelnymi jmeny v jednotnem cisle...

            Jirka Bolech
          • Patty Wan
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
              Dear Honza
              >And what about Thailand?
              As a Thai, I have not heard that the country name used
              with 'the'. If talking about the population, we use
              'the' as in 'the Thai'.
              Regards,
              Pat

              --- Jan Culka <culka@...> wrote:

              > Yes, Jamie,
              > this is exactly what they taught us - when the name
              > of the country
              > includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom,
              > etc,. they must include
              > "the" as well.
              > Is this correct from your point of view? And what
              > about Thailand?
              > Honza

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • magda.ferstlova
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice? Nemuzu to najit.
                Vim, ze to je spravne, ale ten rozpor mi tam vadi.
                Magda

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                  On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:47 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

                  > Yes, Jamie,
                  > this is exactly what they taught us - when the name of the country
                  > includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom, etc,. they must
                  > include
                  > "the" as well.

                  I think it's more about specificity than about which word comes after
                  it, but they probably gave you a good rule of thumb.

                  > Is this correct from your point of view? And what about Thailand?

                  There's no article with that name. I don't know why, but it seems to
                  me that whenever you have a compound in which "-land" is singular,
                  and it means "the land in which X is found" or "the land named after
                  X" there is no article. This is true of countries and districts like
                  Thailand, Swaziland, Iceland, Greenland, England ("Angle-land"),
                  Ireland, etc., and unofficial designations like "Yankee land" (i.e.,
                  the northern US). It even includes strange and imaginary places like
                  Disneyland and Candyland. (Compare this to "the Czech lands", "the
                  Netherlands", etc.)

                  Notice that in some expressions we also don't use the article with
                  the word "country". We can say people live in "wheat country", "corn
                  country", "Bible country", "GM country", etc. Compare this to "the
                  Wheat Belt", "the Corn Belt", "the Bible Belt", "the Rust Belt",
                  etc. We also don't use an article when using "town" in this way:
                  hockeytown, Boys Town, gossip town, etc.

                  Maybe someone else knows the formal rule.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                    On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:50 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

                    > Mne ten vyklad uplne neuspokojuje. Znamena to, ze trebas: "All
                    > European countries seconded the proposal but other 18 countries were
                    > against it" je spatne a melo tam byt "another"?

                    It's definitely bad grammar in that sentence. It can be "18 other
                    countries" or "another 18 countries" or "the other 18 countries", but
                    "other 18 countries" alone, without an article (the other, an+other)
                    or a number preceding it is wrong.

                    > Ja jsem mel vzdycky pocit, ze "another eighteen" v sobe nese urcitou
                    > konotaci "batch of ..", "group of ..." apod. V cestine bych "other"
                    > (ez clenu) prelozil jako "jinych", kdezto "another" jako "dalsich".

                    You're right, but in English that "other" would not appear without an
                    article or a number before it. Your translations of the word are
                    good approximations, but remember that "the other" can also mean
                    "ostatni"".

                    the other 18 countries = ostatnich 18 zemi

                    another 18 countries = jeste 18 dalsich zemi

                    18 other countries = 18 jinych zemi

                    other 18 countries = (neni mozne)

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                      On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:49 AM, magda.ferstlova wrote:

                      > Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice? Nemuzu to
                      > najit.
                      > Vim, ze to je spravne, ale ten rozpor mi tam vadi.

                      The rule doesn't seem to be listed in any of my grammars for native
                      speakers. I think you have to look in a dictionary for foreigners.

                      Here is something from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
                      Online:

                      an‧oth‧er S1 W1
                      1 additional - one more person or thing of the same type:
                      I'm going to have another cup of coffee.
                      There'll be another bus along in a few minutes.
                      Buy two CDs and get another completely free.

                      another of
                      Is this another of your schemes to make money?
                      Not another word was spoken.
                      Oh look, there's another one of those birds.
                      This misunderstanding is yet another example of bad communication
                      (=there have already been several).

                      another two/10/100 etc (=an additional amount or number)
                      We'll have to wait another three weeks for the results.
                      There's still another £100 to pay.

                      2 a different one - not the same thing, person etc, but a different one:
                      They must have returned by another route.
                      We finally moved to another apartment.
                      I'm busy right now. Could you come back another time?
                      Helen resigned from her last job and has yet to find another.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                        Ahoj Magdo,

                        > Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?

                        Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja nemam v
                        tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych se, ze ve
                        stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to bude...

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                          On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                          > Ahoj Magdo,
                          >
                          >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                          >
                          > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                          > nemam v
                          > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
                          > se, ze ve
                          > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
                          > bude...

                          I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                          this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                          specific way. I have also checked various American and British
                          grammar manuals, and it's not in them.

                          I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                          and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
                          up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                          www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                          (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                          difference should be clear.

                          Jamie
                        • danabal@centrum.cz
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                            Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

                            "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day, but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number with a plural noun.
                            I've got another three days of holiday.
                            There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
                            Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but not (in this sense) three other days."

                            A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

                            "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

                            a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

                            b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

                            Dana Balicka
                            > Od: jpklists@...
                            > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                            > CC:
                            > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
                            > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
                            >

                            > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                            >
                            > > Ahoj Magdo,
                            > >
                            > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                            > >
                            > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                            > > nemam v
                            > > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
                            > > se, ze ve
                            > > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
                            > > bude...
                            >
                            > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                            > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                            > specific way. I have also checked various American and British
                            > grammar manuals, and it's not in them.
                            >
                            > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                            > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
                            > up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                            > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                            > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                            > difference should be clear.
                            >
                            > Jamie
                          • magda.ferstlova
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                              Dano, to je presne ono. Swan nikdy nezklame, porad jsem se do nej chtela v
                              praci kouknout, ale byla jste rychlejsi, diky moc!
                              Magda

                              Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

                              "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day,
                              but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number
                              with a plural noun.
                              I've got another three days of holiday.
                              There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
                              Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but
                              not (in this sense) three other days."

                              A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

                              "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

                              a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

                              b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto
                              druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another
                              ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

                              Dana Balicka
                              > Od: jpklists@...
                              > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                              > CC:
                              > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
                              > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
                              >

                              > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                              >
                              > > Ahoj Magdo,
                              > >
                              > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                              > >
                              > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                              > > nemam v tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul
                              > > bych se, ze ve stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda
                              > > Murphyho to bude...
                              >
                              > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                              > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                              > specific way. I have also checked various American and British grammar
                              > manuals, and it's not in them.
                              >
                              > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                              > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look up
                              > the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                              > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                              > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                              > difference should be clear.
                              >
                              > Jamie

                              Czechlist resources:

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 7, 2006

                                > A few years ago, I read a British book that kept referring to "the
                                > Yemen". That article was a complete surprise to me. Is it normal
                                to use it over there?

                                Not these days IMHO.

                                I found a useful article on the use of articles in country names:

                                http://www.vxu.se/hum/publ/gtn/news01_1.html

                                The natural starting-point would then be to find out under which
                                names the governments of these nations want their countries to be
                                known. In a sample of five different yearbooks, encyclopedias and UN
                                publications two of these names never appear with the article, namely
                                Lebanon and Yemen. On the other hand, the Congo is the preferred form
                                in four out of the five sources.
                                <snip>
                                The Web search confirmed our other findings as regards Yemen and
                                Lebanon. Only 2% and 1%, respectively, of their occurrences included
                                the article.
                                <snip>
                                To sum up, if the warcry is 'Frequency Rules!', we can gladly
                                continue saying and writing the Congo and the Gambia, but leave out
                                the article in the other nation names. A justified pedagogical
                                simplification is to tell students that they never have to use the
                                definite article with any nation name in the singular. Personally, I
                                would travesty the old saying 'When in Rome, do as the Romans', and
                                try to live by the motto: 'When in the Gambia, say the Gambia, but
                                when in Ukraine, don't say the Ukraine!'