RE: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen countries...

  • Helga Listen
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1 7:12 PM
      Jamie, I know that it is THE US and THE Netherlands. What I wanted to know
      is, WHY THE US and THE Netherlands but ONLY Ukraine.
      Helga

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1 7:20 PM
        On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Helga Listen wrote:

        > Jamie, I know that it is THE US and THE Netherlands.

        Yes, but you wrote "the official name of USA", so I thought you
        didn't know.

        > What I wanted to know
        > is, WHY THE US and THE Netherlands

        I think it's because the United States are those particular states
        that form the nation, and not whatever American states you choose to
        use that name for at the moment.

        Similarly, the Netherlands are those particular lowlands, not just
        any lowlands,

        > but ONLY Ukraine.

        There's only one Ukraine, just as there's only one Germany. "States"
        and "lands" are generic terms, so they probably need a definite
        article to narrow down the field.

        Jamie
      • Jan Culka
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1 10:47 PM
          Yes, Jamie,
          this is exactly what they taught us - when the name of the country
          includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom, etc,. they must include
          "the" as well.
          Is this correct from your point of view? And what about Thailand?
          Honza

          > On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Helga Listen wrote:
          >
          > > Jamie, I know that it is THE US and THE Netherlands.
          >
          > Yes, but you wrote "the official name of USA", so I thought you
          > didn't know.
          >
          > > What I wanted to know
          > > is, WHY THE US and THE Netherlands
          >
          > I think it's because the United States are those particular states
          > that form the nation, and not whatever American states you choose to
          > use that name for at the moment.
          >
          > Similarly, the Netherlands are those particular lowlands, not just
          > any lowlands,
          >
          > > but ONLY Ukraine.
          >
          > There's only one Ukraine, just as there's only one Germany. "States"
          > and "lands" are generic terms, so they probably need a definite
          > article to narrow down the field.
          >
          > Jamie
          >

          > Czechlist resources:

        • magda.ferstlova
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1 11:29 PM
            And how about my original question - ANOTHER used with PLURAL. Any ideas?
            Magda

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 1 11:50 PM
              Mne ten vyklad uplne neuspokojuje. Znamena to, ze trebas: "All
              European countries seconded the proposal but other 18 countries were
              against it" je spatne a melo tam byt "another"?
              Ja jsem mel vzdycky pocit, ze "another eighteen" v sobe nese urcitou
              konotaci "batch of ..", "group of ..." apod. V cestine bych "other"
              (ez clenu) prelozil jako "jinych", kdezto "another" jako "dalsich".
              Petr Adamek

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2 12:06 AM
                Nazdar lidi,

                pred cislovkou se pouziva 'another', nikoliv 'other', ac se to muze jevit v
                rozporu s prvotnim vyznamem 'another' = 'an' + 'other' pro pouzivani pred
                pocitatelnymi jmeny v jednotnem cisle...

                Jirka Bolech
              • Patty Wan
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2 12:30 AM
                  Dear Honza
                  >And what about Thailand?
                  As a Thai, I have not heard that the country name used
                  with 'the'. If talking about the population, we use
                  'the' as in 'the Thai'.
                  Regards,
                  Pat

                  --- Jan Culka <culka@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, Jamie,
                  > this is exactly what they taught us - when the name
                  > of the country
                  > includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom,
                  > etc,. they must include
                  > "the" as well.
                  > Is this correct from your point of view? And what
                  > about Thailand?
                  > Honza

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • magda.ferstlova
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2 12:49 AM
                    Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice? Nemuzu to najit.
                    Vim, ze to je spravne, ale ten rozpor mi tam vadi.
                    Magda

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2 4:56 AM
                      On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:47 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

                      > Yes, Jamie,
                      > this is exactly what they taught us - when the name of the country
                      > includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom, etc,. they must
                      > include
                      > "the" as well.

                      I think it's more about specificity than about which word comes after
                      it, but they probably gave you a good rule of thumb.

                      > Is this correct from your point of view? And what about Thailand?

                      There's no article with that name. I don't know why, but it seems to
                      me that whenever you have a compound in which "-land" is singular,
                      and it means "the land in which X is found" or "the land named after
                      X" there is no article. This is true of countries and districts like
                      Thailand, Swaziland, Iceland, Greenland, England ("Angle-land"),
                      Ireland, etc., and unofficial designations like "Yankee land" (i.e.,
                      the northern US). It even includes strange and imaginary places like
                      Disneyland and Candyland. (Compare this to "the Czech lands", "the
                      Netherlands", etc.)

                      Notice that in some expressions we also don't use the article with
                      the word "country". We can say people live in "wheat country", "corn
                      country", "Bible country", "GM country", etc. Compare this to "the
                      Wheat Belt", "the Corn Belt", "the Bible Belt", "the Rust Belt",
                      etc. We also don't use an article when using "town" in this way:
                      hockeytown, Boys Town, gossip town, etc.

                      Maybe someone else knows the formal rule.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 2 5:08 AM
                        On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:50 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

                        > Mne ten vyklad uplne neuspokojuje. Znamena to, ze trebas: "All
                        > European countries seconded the proposal but other 18 countries were
                        > against it" je spatne a melo tam byt "another"?

                        It's definitely bad grammar in that sentence. It can be "18 other
                        countries" or "another 18 countries" or "the other 18 countries", but
                        "other 18 countries" alone, without an article (the other, an+other)
                        or a number preceding it is wrong.

                        > Ja jsem mel vzdycky pocit, ze "another eighteen" v sobe nese urcitou
                        > konotaci "batch of ..", "group of ..." apod. V cestine bych "other"
                        > (ez clenu) prelozil jako "jinych", kdezto "another" jako "dalsich".

                        You're right, but in English that "other" would not appear without an
                        article or a number before it. Your translations of the word are
                        good approximations, but remember that "the other" can also mean
                        "ostatni"".

                        the other 18 countries = ostatnich 18 zemi

                        another 18 countries = jeste 18 dalsich zemi

                        18 other countries = 18 jinych zemi

                        other 18 countries = (neni mozne)

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 2 5:31 AM
                          On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:49 AM, magda.ferstlova wrote:

                          > Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice? Nemuzu to
                          > najit.
                          > Vim, ze to je spravne, ale ten rozpor mi tam vadi.

                          The rule doesn't seem to be listed in any of my grammars for native
                          speakers. I think you have to look in a dictionary for foreigners.

                          Here is something from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
                          Online:

                          an‧oth‧er S1 W1
                          1 additional - one more person or thing of the same type:
                          I'm going to have another cup of coffee.
                          There'll be another bus along in a few minutes.
                          Buy two CDs and get another completely free.

                          another of
                          Is this another of your schemes to make money?
                          Not another word was spoken.
                          Oh look, there's another one of those birds.
                          This misunderstanding is yet another example of bad communication
                          (=there have already been several).

                          another two/10/100 etc (=an additional amount or number)
                          We'll have to wait another three weeks for the results.
                          There's still another £100 to pay.

                          2 a different one - not the same thing, person etc, but a different one:
                          They must have returned by another route.
                          We finally moved to another apartment.
                          I'm busy right now. Could you come back another time?
                          Helen resigned from her last job and has yet to find another.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 5 1:41 AM
                            Ahoj Magdo,

                            > Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?

                            Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja nemam v
                            tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych se, ze ve
                            stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to bude...

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 5 4:42 AM
                              On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                              > Ahoj Magdo,
                              >
                              >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                              >
                              > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                              > nemam v
                              > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
                              > se, ze ve
                              > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
                              > bude...

                              I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                              this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                              specific way. I have also checked various American and British
                              grammar manuals, and it's not in them.

                              I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                              and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
                              up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                              www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                              (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                              difference should be clear.

                              Jamie
                            • danabal@centrum.cz
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 5 12:33 PM
                                Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

                                "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day, but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number with a plural noun.
                                I've got another three days of holiday.
                                There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
                                Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but not (in this sense) three other days."

                                A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

                                "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

                                a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

                                b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

                                Dana Balicka
                                > Od: jpklists@...
                                > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                                > CC:
                                > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
                                > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
                                >

                                > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                                >
                                > > Ahoj Magdo,
                                > >
                                > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                                > >
                                > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                                > > nemam v
                                > > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
                                > > se, ze ve
                                > > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
                                > > bude...
                                >
                                > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                                > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                                > specific way. I have also checked various American and British
                                > grammar manuals, and it's not in them.
                                >
                                > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                                > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
                                > up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                                > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                                > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                                > difference should be clear.
                                >
                                > Jamie
                              • magda.ferstlova
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 5 2:12 PM
                                  Dano, to je presne ono. Swan nikdy nezklame, porad jsem se do nej chtela v
                                  praci kouknout, ale byla jste rychlejsi, diky moc!
                                  Magda

                                  Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

                                  "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day,
                                  but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number
                                  with a plural noun.
                                  I've got another three days of holiday.
                                  There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
                                  Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but
                                  not (in this sense) three other days."

                                  A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

                                  "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

                                  a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

                                  b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto
                                  druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another
                                  ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

                                  Dana Balicka
                                  > Od: jpklists@...
                                  > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                                  > CC:
                                  > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
                                  > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
                                  >

                                  > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Ahoj Magdo,
                                  > >
                                  > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                                  > >
                                  > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                                  > > nemam v tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul
                                  > > bych se, ze ve stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda
                                  > > Murphyho to bude...
                                  >
                                  > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                                  > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                                  > specific way. I have also checked various American and British grammar
                                  > manuals, and it's not in them.
                                  >
                                  > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                                  > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look up
                                  > the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                                  > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                                  > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                                  > difference should be clear.
                                  >
                                  > Jamie

                                  Czechlist resources:

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 7 1:01 PM

                                    > A few years ago, I read a British book that kept referring to "the
                                    > Yemen". That article was a complete surprise to me. Is it normal
                                    to use it over there?

                                    Not these days IMHO.

                                    I found a useful article on the use of articles in country names:

                                    http://www.vxu.se/hum/publ/gtn/news01_1.html

                                    The natural starting-point would then be to find out under which
                                    names the governments of these nations want their countries to be
                                    known. In a sample of five different yearbooks, encyclopedias and UN
                                    publications two of these names never appear with the article, namely
                                    Lebanon and Yemen. On the other hand, the Congo is the preferred form
                                    in four out of the five sources.
                                    <snip>
                                    The Web search confirmed our other findings as regards Yemen and
                                    Lebanon. Only 2% and 1%, respectively, of their occurrences included
                                    the article.
                                    <snip>
                                    To sum up, if the warcry is 'Frequency Rules!', we can gladly
                                    continue saying and writing the Congo and the Gambia, but leave out
                                    the article in the other nation names. A justified pedagogical
                                    simplification is to tell students that they never have to use the
                                    definite article with any nation name in the singular. Personally, I
                                    would travesty the old saying 'When in Rome, do as the Romans', and
                                    try to live by the motto: 'When in the Gambia, say the Gambia, but
                                    when in Ukraine, don't say the Ukraine!'