RE: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen countries...

  • Helga Listen
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
      Qustion: was the writer a native speaker of English? If no, and if he was a
      German NS this makes sense. We call it "Der Jemen", but don�t ask me why.

      Helga

      (still lost in "detoxikace")

      _____

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
        On Feb 1, 2006, at 5:58 PM, Helga Listen wrote:

        > Strange. Does that then mean, that the official name of USA is �The
        > United
        > states of America�?

        It is correctly called "the USA", not just "USA". We also say "the
        US". The official name is "The United States of America".

        However, a meat wholesaler in my city was called "United Steaks of
        America" without "the", I assume because when you went in there from
        day to day or week to week, there were always new steaks (I hope),
        and the name didn't refer to any particular set of steaks.

        Students persistently leaving "the" out of "the USA", and saying
        "USA" when it's more normal to say "the US", are two of my never-
        ending ESL nightmares. They rank up there with students saying and
        writing "Italia" and never learning to say "Italy" no matter how many
        times they are told. (Or Czech kids saying "friz�r" in English no
        matter how many times they're told the word doesn't exist in the
        language.)

        > As far as I know the article is used for this country.
        > Same question for Netherlands (and maybe some others too).

        The Netherlands.

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
          On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:02 PM, Helga Listen wrote:

          > Qustion: was the writer a native speaker of English? If no, and if
          > he was a
          > German NS this makes sense. We call it "Der Jemen", but don´t ask
          > me why.

          No, the writer was English.

          Jamie
        • Helga Listen
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
            Jamie, I know that it is THE US and THE Netherlands. What I wanted to know
            is, WHY THE US and THE Netherlands but ONLY Ukraine.
            Helga

            On Feb 1, 2006, at 5:58 PM, Helga Listen wrote:

            > Strange. Does that then mean, that the official name of USA is ?The
            > United
            > states of America??

            It is correctly called "the USA", not just "USA". We also say "the
            US". The official name is "The United States of America".

            However, a meat wholesaler in my city was called "United Steaks of
            America" without "the", I assume because when you went in there from
            day to day or week to week, there were always new steaks (I hope),
            and the name didn't refer to any particular set of steaks.

            Students persistently leaving "the" out of "the USA", and saying
            "USA" when it's more normal to say "the US", are two of my never-
            ending ESL nightmares. They rank up there with students saying and
            writing "Italia" and never learning to say "Italy" no matter how many
            times they are told. (Or Czech kids saying "frizér" in English no
            matter how many times they're told the word doesn't exist in the
            language.)

            > As far as I know the article is used for this country.
            > Same question for Netherlands (and maybe some others too).

            The Netherlands.

            Czechlist resources:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            --
            Ausgehende eMail ist virenfrei.
            Überprüft durch AVG Anti-Virus.
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
              On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Helga Listen wrote:

              > Jamie, I know that it is THE US and THE Netherlands.

              Yes, but you wrote "the official name of USA", so I thought you
              didn't know.

              > What I wanted to know
              > is, WHY THE US and THE Netherlands

              I think it's because the United States are those particular states
              that form the nation, and not whatever American states you choose to
              use that name for at the moment.

              Similarly, the Netherlands are those particular lowlands, not just
              any lowlands,

              > but ONLY Ukraine.

              There's only one Ukraine, just as there's only one Germany. "States"
              and "lands" are generic terms, so they probably need a definite
              article to narrow down the field.

              Jamie
            • Jan Culka
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
                Yes, Jamie,
                this is exactly what they taught us - when the name of the country
                includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom, etc,. they must include
                "the" as well.
                Is this correct from your point of view? And what about Thailand?
                Honza

                > On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Helga Listen wrote:
                >
                > > Jamie, I know that it is THE US and THE Netherlands.
                >
                > Yes, but you wrote "the official name of USA", so I thought you
                > didn't know.
                >
                > > What I wanted to know
                > > is, WHY THE US and THE Netherlands
                >
                > I think it's because the United States are those particular states
                > that form the nation, and not whatever American states you choose to
                > use that name for at the moment.
                >
                > Similarly, the Netherlands are those particular lowlands, not just
                > any lowlands,
                >
                > > but ONLY Ukraine.
                >
                > There's only one Ukraine, just as there's only one Germany. "States"
                > and "lands" are generic terms, so they probably need a definite
                > article to narrow down the field.
                >
                > Jamie
                >

                > Czechlist resources:

              • magda.ferstlova
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
                  And how about my original question - ANOTHER used with PLURAL. Any ideas?
                  Magda

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Mne ten vyklad uplne neuspokojuje. Znamena to, ze trebas: "All
                    European countries seconded the proposal but other 18 countries were
                    against it" je spatne a melo tam byt "another"?
                    Ja jsem mel vzdycky pocit, ze "another eighteen" v sobe nese urcitou
                    konotaci "batch of ..", "group of ..." apod. V cestine bych "other"
                    (ez clenu) prelozil jako "jinych", kdezto "another" jako "dalsich".
                    Petr Adamek

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Nazdar lidi,

                      pred cislovkou se pouziva 'another', nikoliv 'other', ac se to muze jevit v
                      rozporu s prvotnim vyznamem 'another' = 'an' + 'other' pro pouzivani pred
                      pocitatelnymi jmeny v jednotnem cisle...

                      Jirka Bolech
                    • Patty Wan
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Dear Honza
                        >And what about Thailand?
                        As a Thai, I have not heard that the country name used
                        with 'the'. If talking about the population, we use
                        'the' as in 'the Thai'.
                        Regards,
                        Pat

                        --- Jan Culka <culka@...> wrote:

                        > Yes, Jamie,
                        > this is exactly what they taught us - when the name
                        > of the country
                        > includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom,
                        > etc,. they must include
                        > "the" as well.
                        > Is this correct from your point of view? And what
                        > about Thailand?
                        > Honza

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • magda.ferstlova
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice? Nemuzu to najit.
                          Vim, ze to je spravne, ale ten rozpor mi tam vadi.
                          Magda

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                            On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:47 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

                            > Yes, Jamie,
                            > this is exactly what they taught us - when the name of the country
                            > includes -land/s, republic, union, state, kingdom, etc,. they must
                            > include
                            > "the" as well.

                            I think it's more about specificity than about which word comes after
                            it, but they probably gave you a good rule of thumb.

                            > Is this correct from your point of view? And what about Thailand?

                            There's no article with that name. I don't know why, but it seems to
                            me that whenever you have a compound in which "-land" is singular,
                            and it means "the land in which X is found" or "the land named after
                            X" there is no article. This is true of countries and districts like
                            Thailand, Swaziland, Iceland, Greenland, England ("Angle-land"),
                            Ireland, etc., and unofficial designations like "Yankee land" (i.e.,
                            the northern US). It even includes strange and imaginary places like
                            Disneyland and Candyland. (Compare this to "the Czech lands", "the
                            Netherlands", etc.)

                            Notice that in some expressions we also don't use the article with
                            the word "country". We can say people live in "wheat country", "corn
                            country", "Bible country", "GM country", etc. Compare this to "the
                            Wheat Belt", "the Corn Belt", "the Bible Belt", "the Rust Belt",
                            etc. We also don't use an article when using "town" in this way:
                            hockeytown, Boys Town, gossip town, etc.

                            Maybe someone else knows the formal rule.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                              On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:50 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

                              > Mne ten vyklad uplne neuspokojuje. Znamena to, ze trebas: "All
                              > European countries seconded the proposal but other 18 countries were
                              > against it" je spatne a melo tam byt "another"?

                              It's definitely bad grammar in that sentence. It can be "18 other
                              countries" or "another 18 countries" or "the other 18 countries", but
                              "other 18 countries" alone, without an article (the other, an+other)
                              or a number preceding it is wrong.

                              > Ja jsem mel vzdycky pocit, ze "another eighteen" v sobe nese urcitou
                              > konotaci "batch of ..", "group of ..." apod. V cestine bych "other"
                              > (ez clenu) prelozil jako "jinych", kdezto "another" jako "dalsich".

                              You're right, but in English that "other" would not appear without an
                              article or a number before it. Your translations of the word are
                              good approximations, but remember that "the other" can also mean
                              "ostatni"".

                              the other 18 countries = ostatnich 18 zemi

                              another 18 countries = jeste 18 dalsich zemi

                              18 other countries = 18 jinych zemi

                              other 18 countries = (neni mozne)

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 2, 2006
                                On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:49 AM, magda.ferstlova wrote:

                                > Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice? Nemuzu to
                                > najit.
                                > Vim, ze to je spravne, ale ten rozpor mi tam vadi.

                                The rule doesn't seem to be listed in any of my grammars for native
                                speakers. I think you have to look in a dictionary for foreigners.

                                Here is something from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
                                Online:

                                an‧oth‧er S1 W1
                                1 additional - one more person or thing of the same type:
                                I'm going to have another cup of coffee.
                                There'll be another bus along in a few minutes.
                                Buy two CDs and get another completely free.

                                another of
                                Is this another of your schemes to make money?
                                Not another word was spoken.
                                Oh look, there's another one of those birds.
                                This misunderstanding is yet another example of bad communication
                                (=there have already been several).

                                another two/10/100 etc (=an additional amount or number)
                                We'll have to wait another three weeks for the results.
                                There's still another £100 to pay.

                                2 a different one - not the same thing, person etc, but a different one:
                                They must have returned by another route.
                                We finally moved to another apartment.
                                I'm busy right now. Could you come back another time?
                                Helen resigned from her last job and has yet to find another.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                                  Ahoj Magdo,

                                  > Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?

                                  Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja nemam v
                                  tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych se, ze ve
                                  stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to bude...

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                                    On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                                    > Ahoj Magdo,
                                    >
                                    >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                                    >
                                    > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                                    > nemam v
                                    > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
                                    > se, ze ve
                                    > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
                                    > bude...

                                    I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                                    this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                                    specific way. I have also checked various American and British
                                    grammar manuals, and it's not in them.

                                    I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                                    and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
                                    up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                                    www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                                    (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                                    difference should be clear.

                                    Jamie
                                  • danabal@centrum.cz
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                                      Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

                                      "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day, but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number with a plural noun.
                                      I've got another three days of holiday.
                                      There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
                                      Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but not (in this sense) three other days."

                                      A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

                                      "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

                                      a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

                                      b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

                                      Dana Balicka
                                      > Od: jpklists@...
                                      > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                                      > CC:
                                      > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
                                      > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
                                      >

                                      > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Ahoj Magdo,
                                      > >
                                      > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                                      > >
                                      > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                                      > > nemam v
                                      > > tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul bych
                                      > > se, ze ve
                                      > > stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda Murphyho to
                                      > > bude...
                                      >
                                      > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                                      > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                                      > specific way. I have also checked various American and British
                                      > grammar manuals, and it's not in them.
                                      >
                                      > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                                      > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look
                                      > up the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                                      > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                                      > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                                      > difference should be clear.
                                      >
                                      > Jamie
                                    • magda.ferstlova
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 5, 2006
                                        Dano, to je presne ono. Swan nikdy nezklame, porad jsem se do nej chtela v
                                        praci kouknout, ale byla jste rychlejsi, diky moc!
                                        Magda

                                        Nasla jsem neco v knize Practical English Usage (by Michael Swan):

                                        "Normally, another is followed by a singular noun: we can say another day,
                                        but not another days. However, another can be followed by 'few' or a number
                                        with a plural noun.
                                        I've got another three days of holiday.
                                        There's room for another few people in the back of the bus.
                                        Note that instead of another three days, we could say three more days, but
                                        not (in this sense) three other days."

                                        A take stary dobry Hais (Anglická mluvnice) o tom pise:

                                        "Another je dvouznacne, znamena

                                        a) jiny (that's another matter - to je jina vec, another time - jindy),

                                        b) jeste jeden, dalsi (another cup of tea - jeste jeden salek caje); v tomto
                                        druhem smyslu se ho uziva i s mnoznym cislem, ale samo se nemeni (in another
                                        ten years - za dalsich deset let)".

                                        Dana Balicka
                                        > Od: jpklists@...
                                        > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                                        > CC:
                                        > Datum: 05.02.2006 13:43
                                        > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen ...
                                        >

                                        > On Feb 5, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Ahoj Magdo,
                                        > >
                                        > >> Ano, takove pravidlo potrebuju, je to v nejake gramatice?
                                        > >
                                        > > Nepochybne se to da najit v ruznych ucebnicich a cvicebnicich. Ja
                                        > > nemam v tuto chvili vetsinu podobnych svych knih u sebe, ale tipnul
                                        > > bych se, ze ve stredne pokrocile gramaticke cvicebnici od Raymonda
                                        > > Murphyho to bude...
                                        >
                                        > I have checked the Murphy book (at least the American version) and
                                        > this doesn't seem to be treated in the intermediate book in any
                                        > specific way. I have also checked various American and British grammar
                                        > manuals, and it's not in them.
                                        >
                                        > I think the problem is more one of the separate meanings of "other"
                                        > and "another". For that you have to go to a dictionary. If you look up
                                        > the two words in the Longman Online Dictionary (http://
                                        > www.ldoceonline.com/) and the Merriam Webster online dictionary
                                        > (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/), and compare the definitions, the
                                        > difference should be clear.
                                        >
                                        > Jamie

                                        Czechlist resources:

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 7, 2006

                                          > A few years ago, I read a British book that kept referring to "the
                                          > Yemen". That article was a complete surprise to me. Is it normal
                                          to use it over there?

                                          Not these days IMHO.

                                          I found a useful article on the use of articles in country names:

                                          http://www.vxu.se/hum/publ/gtn/news01_1.html

                                          The natural starting-point would then be to find out under which
                                          names the governments of these nations want their countries to be
                                          known. In a sample of five different yearbooks, encyclopedias and UN
                                          publications two of these names never appear with the article, namely
                                          Lebanon and Yemen. On the other hand, the Congo is the preferred form
                                          in four out of the five sources.
                                          <snip>
                                          The Web search confirmed our other findings as regards Yemen and
                                          Lebanon. Only 2% and 1%, respectively, of their occurrences included
                                          the article.
                                          <snip>
                                          To sum up, if the warcry is 'Frequency Rules!', we can gladly
                                          continue saying and writing the Congo and the Gambia, but leave out
                                          the article in the other nation names. A justified pedagogical
                                          simplification is to tell students that they never have to use the
                                          definite article with any nation name in the singular. Personally, I
                                          would travesty the old saying 'When in Rome, do as the Romans', and
                                          try to live by the motto: 'When in the Gambia, say the Gambia, but
                                          when in Ukraine, don't say the Ukraine!'