Help: bez dalsiho

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi there has anyone out there any ideas regarding a general English
      equivalent for the expression "bez dalsiho." I'm racking my brains to
      come up with a non-specific noun after "dalsiho"....
      Many thanks for any suggestions
      Coilin
    • Helga Listen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
        Hi Coilin,

        Any more context available? Without context (and without NS competence) I�d
        say "without further blablabla" or "with nothing (more) to be added"

        Helga

        _____

        --
        Ausgehende eMail ist virenfrei.
        �berpr�ft durch AVG Anti-Virus.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

          > Hi there has anyone out there any ideas regarding a general English
          > equivalent for the expression "bez dalsiho." I'm racking my brains to
          > come up with a non-specific noun after "dalsiho"....
          > Many thanks for any suggestions
          > Coilin

          With no further ado...?

          In more bureaucratic contexts: Without further procedure...?

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there has anyone out there any ideas regarding a general
            English
            > > equivalent for the expression "bez dalsiho." I'm racking my
            brains to
            > > come up with a non-specific noun after "dalsiho"....
            > > Many thanks for any suggestions
            > > Coilin
            >
            > With no further ado...?
            >
            > In more bureaucratic contexts: Without further procedure...?
            >
            > BR
            >
            > M.

          • coilinoc
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
              Thanks Melvyn
              I thought of "without further ado," but it's a little bit
              incongruous and Shakesperean in the context of a General Meeting.
              Without further procedure might do at a pinch.
              Tx!
              Coilin

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

                > Thanks Melvyn
                > I thought of "without further ado," but it's a little bit
                > incongruous and Shakesperean in the context of a General Meeting.
                > Without further procedure might do at a pinch.

                Or 'with no further action required' in some situations perhaps?

                M.
              • grabanrad
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

                  > Hi there has anyone out there any ideas regarding a general English
                  > equivalent for the expression "bez dalsiho." I'm racking my brains to
                  > come up with a non-specific noun after "dalsiho"....
                  > Many thanks for any suggestions
                  > Coilin

                • grabanrad
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                    Would "without any further....." do the trick?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                      On Jan 31, 2006, at 6:28 PM, coilinoc wrote:

                      > I thought of "without further ado," but it's a little bit
                      > incongruous and Shakesperean in the context of a General Meeting.
                      > Without further procedure might do at a pinch.

                      Maybe we Yanks are a bit too Elizabethan, but on our side of the
                      ocean "without further ado" sounds normal in almost any context.
                      "Without further procedure" is the one that sounds odd to me, unless
                      the speaker has been subjecting people to a lot of procedures.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                        On Jan 31, 2006, at 7:32 PM, grabanrad wrote:

                        > Would "without any further....." do the trick?

                        This sounds good to me. It involves saying precisely what one means,
                        however. :-)

                        Jamie
                      • iseykora
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                          a few contextual solutions:

                          Komise nemohla bez dalsího usoudit … - the Commission could not
                          automatically consider …

                          Je namíste bez dalsího prezkoumat … - … must be examined first of
                          all …

                          …aby se na takové opatrení nevztahovala bez dalsího kvalifikace
                          podpory ve smyslu clánku…- to exclude the measure at issue outright
                          from classification as aid within the meaning of Article…

                          …musejí být bez dalsího odmítnuty jako neprípustné. - must be
                          rejected as inadmissible

                          Je namíste bez dalsího konstatovat, ze … - It must be held at the
                          outset that …

                          Igor

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

                          > Hi there has anyone out there any ideas regarding a general
                          English
                          > equivalent for the expression "bez dalsiho." I'm racking my
                          brains to
                          > come up with a non-specific noun after "dalsiho"....
                          > Many thanks for any suggestions
                          > Coilin

                        • coilinoc
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                            > a few contextual solutions:
                            Thank you Igor for those (and to everyone else who chipped in). They
                            were very helpful
                            > …musejí být bez dalsího odmítnuty jako neprípustné. - must be
                            > rejected as inadmissible

                            I see from some of your examples that this expression is often a
                            superfluity. Am I right in assuming it's frequently something used
                            purely for emphasis?

                            Thanks again
                            Coilin