Re: CHAT: Test translations

  • martina.silpoch@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 29, 2006
      Had a similar experience last year. Received files to work on from a
      European agency, quite a bunch, about 3 weeks worth. But half of it
      was material I had translated few months before for another agency,
      in another country. What now?
      Knowing the PM and having a good relationship, i called him to
      inquire what was going on. Was the client unhappy with the previous
      agency's translations? that was my main concern - if I accept the
      job and send the same files. If the translation was not good, It's
      the last thing I would want to do. If that was the case, I could not
      accept this project.
      His answer was something like this - They had a working relationship
      with the client, it was a major institution, are getting more work
      from them, nothing to do with the client being unsatisfied with
      somebody else. The other agency was not able to handle amounts of
      work required so they are splitting the load. OK, that sounded
      good :) He was fair and told me so I thought it only fair to tell
      him. And again it paid off! He appreciated the honesty but no need
      to worry. The project should be delivered as it came. With all the
      files in it. He does not care if I have to translate them from
      scratch or copy them from my already translated material. He kinda
      put it - If they have a mess in their paperwork and want to pay
      double, let them and enjoy.
      was it kosher? Not really. But the PM was told, appreciated it and
      keeps sending work on regular basis.
      It only confirmed for me that honesty IS the best policy in decent
      business. Dealing with crooks, unwilling to pay is a different
      story...