RE: [Czechlist] English sentence - not really clear - THANKS

  • Helga Listen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2006
      Thanks Jamie, now it makes sense!

      H.

      _____

      From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of James Kirchner

      On Jan 8, 2006, at 5:00 PM, Helga Listen wrote:

      > What I am confused about is the "may consist of", which I
      > understand as
      > "muze se skladat z". Tato smlouva je ale jiz hotova, tim padem by
      > autor mel
      > vedet, jestli je sestavena z kopii vice dokumentu ci nikoliv. A
      > pokud autor
      > chce rici, ze je zde urcita moznost, ze se pohybuji vice kopie teto
      > smlouve
      > po nasem svete, proc nerekl "there may exist more than one copies
      > of this
      > agreement and each copy has the same power as the original" (or
      > something
      > like that??)

      I don't think they're talking about copies. It sounds like they
      might make several agreements with different entities. Each
      agreement is valid for each of the entities and in each of the
      situations, but instead of being considered separate entities, all of
      them together are considered as part of one agreement. So, there are
      several counterparts (complete, separate, equivalent agreements, NOT
      copies), and these counterparts are separately valid, but at the same
      time considered to be part of one overarching agreement. It's like
      some religions think the Trinity is make up of Father, Son and Holy
      Spirit, and that these three separate things form one God but are
      complete both individually and all together as one whole.

      I think your problem is that you are interpreting "counterpart" as
      "copy", which is not the meaning. For example: I have a bachelor's
      in painting from the College for Creative Studies and a master's in
      linguistics from Wayne State University. There is a young woman
      named Jennifer in town who has the same degrees as I do, from the
      same places. We are qualified to do the same things. We are
      counterparts, but she is not a copy of me. We are separately
      functioning human beings.

      Ausgehende eMail ist virenfrei.
      �berpr�ft durch AVG Anti-Virus.
      Version: 7.1.371 / Virendatenbank: 267.14.15/223 - Ausgabedatum: 06.01.2006