Re: [Czechlist] Help: Quick (probably stupid) question.

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hi Coilin,
      I would go with something lilke this:

      really/so/highly exuberant landscape around Mala Skala.

      hth
      Martin

      coilinoc wrote:

      >Hi there,
      >It's me again :-)
      >
      >I have a Czech sentence before me whose convoluted nature is a little
      >bit much for my English eyes to cope with. I was wondering if any
      >Czech Nser could explain the clause "tak kontrasty hyriciho kraje
      >kolem Malé Skály". Does "tak" mean something like "like" here? (e.g.
      >something like ...and (he) is practically an integral part of this -
      >like the exuberant landscape around Mala Skala...)
      >

      >S panem Xem, ktery je bytostne spjat s Pojizerim a je temer integralni
      >soucasti toho, tak kontrasty hyriciho kraje kolem Male Skály, jsem se
      >poprve nemohl setkat nikde jinde, nezli pred maloskalskym Bouckovym
      >statkem, ve kterem je samozrejmì hospoda, ale take puvabna galerie,
      >jejiz zrizení pan X inicioval.
      >
      >MTIA
      >Coilin

    • Hana Viansová
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
        I agree with Martin. I think it might have been the comma that you found
        confusing - it's used incorrectly, IMHO.
        Hanka

        coilinoc wrote:

        >Hi there,
        >It's me again :-)
        >
        >I have a Czech sentence before me whose convoluted nature is a little
        >bit much for my English eyes to cope with. I was wondering if any
        >Czech Nser could explain the clause "tak kontrasty hyriciho kraje
        >kolem Malé Skály". Does "tak" mean something like "like" here? (e.g.
        >something like ...and (he) is practically an integral part of this -
        >like the exuberant landscape around Mala Skala...)
        >

        >S panem Xem, ktery je bytostne spjat s Pojizerim a je temer integralni
        >soucasti toho, tak kontrasty hyriciho kraje kolem Male Skály, jsem se
        >poprve nemohl setkat nikde jinde, nezli pred maloskalskym Bouckovym
        >statkem, ve kterem je samozrejmì hospoda, ale take puvabna galerie,
        >jejiz zrizení pan X inicioval.
        >
        >MTIA
        >Coilin

        Czechlist resources:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Hana Pernicova
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
          Hi Coilin,
          tak=so much
          (matter of clumsy word order - should be "...kraje kolem Male Skaly, ktery tak hyri kontrasty")

          Hanka P.

          coilinoc <coilinoc@...> wrote:
[...]

          Hotel prague czech republic Travel to czech republic Czech republic accommodation Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech republic accommodation

          ---------------------------------

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
            Thank you Martin and Hana,

            I did indeed find the comma confusing, but I'm also still perturbed
            by the word "kontrasty", which Martin has left out of his proposed
            solution... (I actually accidentally left it out of my suggestion as
            well :-))) Is this word indeed superfluous? It seems hard for me to
            fit it in somehow...

            How about something like "(he) is practically an integral part of
            the exuberant, highly contrasting landscape around Mala Skala..."

            Many thanks again
            Coilin

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
              Sorry, Coilin, mea culpa - I did not read the rest of your string too
              carefully as I expected that was not the tricky part for you.
              I agree with your version 2.

              As to the comma, the correct wording would imho be:

              a je temer integralni soucasti toho tak kontrasty hyriciho kraje kolem
              Male Skály,
              or

              coilinoc wrote:

              >Thank you Martin and Hana,
              >
              >I did indeed find the comma confusing, but I'm also still perturbed
              >by the word "kontrasty", which Martin has left out of his proposed
              >solution... (I actually accidentally left it out of my suggestion as
              >well :-))) Is this word indeed superfluous? It seems hard for me to
              >fit it in somehow...
              >
              >How about something like "(he) is practically an integral part of
              >the exuberant, highly contrasting landscape around Mala Skala..."
              >
              >Many thanks again
              >Coilin
              >

              >>I agree with Martin. I think it might have been the comma that you
              >>

              >found
              >

              >>confusing - it's used incorrectly, IMHO.
              >>Hanka

            • tomas_barendregt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

                > Thank you Martin and Hana,
                >
                > I did indeed find the comma confusing, but I'm also still perturbed
                > by the word "kontrasty", which Martin has left out of his proposed
                > solution... (I actually accidentally left it out of my suggestion as
                > well :-))) Is this word indeed superfluous? It seems hard for me to
                > fit it in somehow...

                Hi Coilin,

                I think "kontrasty" is actually quite important here: "the region
                around Mala Skala, so chock-full of contrasts...." (i.e. the
                region/landscape is brimming with contrasts).

                Tom
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

                  > I did indeed find the comma confusing, but I'm also still perturbed
                  > by the word "kontrasty",

                  Instrumental. Very literally: "so with-contrasts-abounding landscape".
                  "Contrastful" might be coined - or your "highly contrasting" sounds
                  fine to me.

                  M.
                  The only thing that has to be finished by next Tuesday is next Monday.
                  ~Jennifer Yane
                • Hana Viansová
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                    I agree that both versions Martin suggests sound better than the original
                    (though my preference would definitely be the first one), though I admit to
                    finding them both irritatingly pompous:-(. I'd leave out "toho tak"
                    altogether, i.e. "a je temer integralni soucasti kontrasty hyriciho kraje
                    kolem
                    Male Skály". I really don't see what purpose those two words serve. Simple
                    is beautiful, imho:-).

                    Hanka

                    coilinoc wrote:

                    >Thank you Martin and Hana,
                    >
                    >I did indeed find the comma confusing, but I'm also still perturbed
                    >by the word "kontrasty", which Martin has left out of his proposed
                    >solution... (I actually accidentally left it out of my suggestion as
                    >well :-))) Is this word indeed superfluous? It seems hard for me to
                    >fit it in somehow...
                    >
                    >How about something like "(he) is practically an integral part of
                    >the exuberant, highly contrasting landscape around Mala Skala..."
                    >
                    >Many thanks again
                    >Coilin
                    >

                    >>I agree with Martin. I think it might have been the comma that you
                    >>

                    >found
                    >

                    >>confusing - it's used incorrectly, IMHO.
                    >>Hanka

                    Czechlist resources:
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • coilinoc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Thank you very much everybody.

                      I'd leave out "toho tak"
                      > altogether, i.e. "a je temer integralni soucasti kontrasty
                      hyriciho kraje
                      > kolem
                      > Male Skály". I really don't see what purpose those two words
                      serve. Simple
                      > is beautiful, imho:-).
                      My sentiments exactly. Your version of the sentence is an awful lot
                      clearer to me, Hana, than the original. Perhaps it's just more
                      compatible with my brain's English-structured mainframe...:-)

                      Many thanks again. I had read that sentence so many times and just
                      couldn't "get it". Unfortunately, it still happens occasionally

                      Best regards
                      Coilin

                      question.