Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: experience

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 68 , Jan 2, 2006
      That sounds good. Wanting to have good experiences or solutions to your problems is in itself pretty natural - it's the overuse that isn't.
      Message 68 of 68 , Jan 10, 2006
        Now I have a moment, here are some things I've been meaning to say:

        >California is called by many "The Land
        of Fruits and Nuts", or "the world's biggest state hospital".

        I've met this stereotype often enough. Don't know if we have an
        equivalent. Brighton, maybe? No, Islington. (Or am I hopelessly out of
        date?)

        > One girl came back on
        visit and had a 2-year-old boy named Sailor.

        Actually, American first names often sound rather innovative to me (or
        they sound like British surnames). Anyway, in later life he can always
        change it quickly, can't he? No big deal :-). Maybe people see names
        more like disposable wrappers over there. I remember my Jamaican
        friends were allowed to choose whether or not to keep their Christian
        name when they were seven years old. And if they didn't like it they
        got to choose their own. Not a bad idea IMHO.

        When I worked for the Inland Revenue they always used to tell us that
        it is every Britisher's birthright to change his/her name to Attila
        the Hun for a fiver, should he/she so desire.

        I remember seeing a news item here about a certain poor Mr Slapka who
        wanted to change his surname. The officials in charge wouldn't have it
        - you know, can't have everybody changing their name at the drop of a
        hat. Besides, they said, it's not such a terrible name.

        Things might have gotten easier for the Slapkas of this world since
        then - I don't know.

        > or it's possible he's [Bush]
        just one of those people who don't talk that well no matter what
        dialect he's speaking.

        My impression is that he just lets himself go because many people
        actually identify with and/or admire and respect that unstructured way
        of speaking. It's a kind of very large "Hey, I'm not pompous" badge.

        >If I talk to a Canadian for 10 minutes, I am speaking with most of
        his accent.

        Is it true they often say 'hey' over there? Never noticed it, myself.

        >If you speak RP well enough to get hired as a butler, then you should
        go for a much better job. You could work as an Evil Genius,

        And they all said I was MAD, ha-HAH! Actually, I'd prefer to keep that
        as my little hobby.

        I noticed that noble Legolas spoke RP in the Lord of the Rings. In
        sharp contrast to those horrid orcs, who all sounded like extras from
        Eastenders hamming it up.

        > Same thing in films like "Shakespeare in Love", where all
        the characters are speaking RP, even though historically they
        couldn't have been.

        The Brummie dialect is variously labeled as the worst, ugliest and
        laziest regional accent in the UK. Yet most foreigners find it easy on
        the ear and researchers say that it is very likely that William
        Shakespeare's accent was not very different.

        http://focalplaneblog.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_focalplaneblog_archive.html

        Actually, I'm not sure about that, but I quote it as a curiosity.
        Brummies often end their sentences with a kind of rising intonation -
        try it: to be or not to be...

        > she would switch to a
        throaty RP, and everyone -- even her superiors -- would cower beneath
        her gravity. No one felt intelligent enough to dispute anything she
        said in RP,

        Don't think it would have that effect on many people in Britain these
        days. You can lay on the gravitas in the regional variant(s) of your
        choosing these days IMHO.

        BTW listen to the BBC World Service news and see how many such
        varieties of English you can detect over a few days.

        > Conversely, Da Breetish Inklish is a problem the Europeans
        caused all by themselves, and they deserve the blame.

        You run "Breetish Inklish" through Google and see whose problem it is.
        =:-O

        >We did
        have Supercar

        But Master Spy....

        Shuddup Friend Zarin...

        >and Fireball XL5,

        A whole generation of British schoolkids launched their pencils along
        imaginary Fireball XL5-style ramps.

        >which were similar, but the
        characters spoke American on this side of the ocean.

        I should hope so too. We had the Beverley Hillbillies, Top Cat,
        Snagglepuss and Huckleberry Hound all with original American English
        accents. So at the age of seven we could get up our parents' and
        teachers' noses by saying we were fixin on doing (fixin to do?) sometin:

        >I think British
        kids' shows are often dubbed here, if they aren't completely remade.

        Pity. They should try to think of BrEng as an enriching
        horizon-broadening experience.

        Even Harry Potter? No!

        Na ad i'th dafod dorri'th wddf
        Let not your tongue cut your throat