TERM: spetka

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
      A well focused inquiry this time:

      What is the English word for a small amount of st. (in Czech - spetka)
      you can hold between your fingertips? For instance: when you put some
      salt in your dish with a meal, etc. Is it a pinch?

      Slovnik at volny.cz says:

      spetka zlateho prachu (kolik lze udrzet mezi palcem a ukazovakem) -
      pinch

      Thank you,

      K.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
        Yes, it's a pinch. A pinch of salt, a pinch of oregano, etc.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006

          > Yes, it's a pinch. A pinch of salt, a pinch of oregano, etc.

          Agreed. Standard term found in recipes. Several sources I found agree
          with this approx 1/16th of a teaspoon notion:

          A measuring term that generally refers to dry ingredients such as
          spices. The general rule is that it should measure about 1/16th of a
          teaspoon.
          www.chinesefood-recipes.com/glossary_of_cooking_terms/cooking_terms_p.php

          Doubtless there is an EU standard for it in umpteen languages
          somewhere. :-)

          M.
          Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in
          private and wash your hands afterwards.
          - Robert Heinlein
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
            On Jan 2, 2006, at 3:39 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

            > Doubtless there is an EU standard for it in umpteen languages
            > somewhere. :-)

            In fact, I think it's right in the EU constitution, right after the
            proper size for tomatoes is dictated. :-)))

            Jamie
          • grabanrad
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
              It is pinch.