Re: [Czechlist] Re: CHAT: Glad to see the back of me

    Message 1 of 48 , Dec 31, 2005
      On Dec 31, 2005, at 4:12 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

      > The gaffe that always comes to my mind first is: "my wife is a
      > typewriter".

      Years ago, when the Russian bride internet sites were more primitive,
      I liked to examine them, because they gave me subtle, interesting
      anthropological insights as to what the women thought of the West,
      and Americans in particular. (They're no fun anymore, because the
      photos are professional and the personal statements are coached.)
      One thing that was sure to make me guffaw -- and it happened very
      frequently -- was when a seamstress would list her profession as
      "sewer".

      Here's one that's not a linguistic gaffe, but a social one. A couple
      years ago, I turned in the grades for the semester, and a month later
      started getting voicemail messages that I had never given one of the
      students his grade. I was baffled by this, because I was very
      careful about triple and quadruple checking. How could this man have
      escaped my meticulous attention? Well, it was because he had never
      once actually told me his real name or used it. His name was "Faq",
      and he didn't want to say it in front of the class, and he didn't
      even write it on his paper. I had no idea this man I knew as "Sami"
      and Faq were the same person.

      Jamie
    • kzgafas
      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 15, 2006
        The new Trados-SDL hybrids appears to have been released:

        http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products-freelancers.htm

        The one seems to provide interoperability for existing Trados users,
        and the other seems to provide the same for existing SDLX users.

        It says there:
        Both SDL Trados 7.1 and SDLX 2005 SP1 are a limited release. They
        are a free upgrade, only available to any customer currently using
        the most recent version of SDL Trados 7 or SDLX 2005.

        So I think there is no need to be afraid of buying Trados at the
        moment.

        I wonder what SDL Trados 7 exactly means. I guess it is simply the
        Trados 7.0 (sold by SDL), >> i.e. SDL Trados 7.

        K.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@g...> wrote:
        > However, I would wait with any Trados purchase. The Trados
        provider has
        > been recently swallowed by SDL, a provider of a competing but
        completely
        > different CAT tool. As they are now trying to crossbreed the
        Trados dog