Re: I'm loving it

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@c...> wrote:

      > V televiznich reklamach McDonald's se ted pouziva slogan "I'm loving
      it". Zajimalo by mne, jaky vyznam dava teto vete pouziti prubehoveho
      tvaru oproti beznemu "I love it."

      Jak to vidim ja, tento vyznam je asi lepe zretelny v typicke vete na
      turisticke pohlednici (charakteristicky kontext pro takovy tvar) jako
      "I'm staying at a nice hotel in Majorca and I'm loving every moment of
      it". Prubehovy tvar klade duraz na probihajici cinnost a v tvem
      pripade klade silny duraz na probihajici _pozitek_.

      Skutecnost ze 'love' je stavove sloveso (souvisejici s emocemi) a ze
      toto pouziti je proto mene obvykle nez prosty tvar vlastne prohlubuje
      pocit zvlastnosti (a potazmo zvlastniho pozitku, hedonismu apod) a
      slogan proto pritahuje pozornost. Podle me je to docela vychytraly
      figl. Musim se tam zastavit dnes odpoledne.

      S pozdravem,

      M.
      Resistance is futile (if < 1 ohm)
    • grabanrad
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
        This usage is rather common in the UK. I would say that by saying it
        you are really expressing intensity of satisfaction/pleasure/enjoyment
        that you are getting from the thing or situation in question.
        Example: Two people you can't realy stand are arguing. You say; "I'm
        loving it!"
        Does it make sense to you now?

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
          On Dec 20, 2005, at 3:19 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

          > V televiznich reklamach McDonald's se ted pouziva slogan "I'm
          > loving it".
          > Zajimalo by mne, jaky vyznam dava teto vete pouziti prubehoveho tvaru
          > oproti beznemu "I love it."

          Remember that the continuous tenses sometimes indicate a very
          temporary situation. When we say, "They live in New York," the city
          sounds like their permanent home. When we say, "They are living in
          New York," it gives the impression that the situation is only
          temporary, and that they will move somewhere else at the first
          opportunity.

          Sometimes this use of the tense to describe things that are temporary
          can creep over from action verbs to stative verbs with which a
          continuous tense theoretically shouldn't be used. When I hear, "I'm
          loving it," my feeling is that the person is engaging in some
          pleasurable activity that will soon end, as Melvyn points out.

          Note that many McDonald's commercials often use a very colloquial
          form of English that approaches Ebonics (i.e., "black English"), to
          reach a specific clientele, and therefore contain expressions that
          careful English speakers would not use. Melvyn's "we are loving
          every minute of it," sounds normal to me (possibly because "loving"
          there means "enjoying"), but for some reason, "I'm lovin' it,"
          strikes me as a low colloquial form. I don't know if it can be used
          in the UK or not.

          Jamie
        • spektrum2002
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
            > Remember that the continuous tenses sometimes indicate a very
            > temporary situation. When we say, "They live in New York," the city
            > sounds like their permanent home. When we say, "They are living in
            > New York," it gives the impression that the situation is only
            > temporary, and that they will move somewhere else at the first
            > opportunity.

            To je prave ten duvod, proc jsem se ptal. S trochou nadsazky jsem si
            ten slogan vysvetloval jako "Obvykle to mit zrovna nemusim, ale prave
            ted to miluji, i kdyz za pul hodiny mi z toho bude na zvraceni." :-)

            Melvynuv vyklad byl pro mne ovsem instruktivni a poucny. Kazdopadne
            dekuji vsem, kdo reagovali.
            Petr