Re: [Czechlist] Help: hotel/menu items

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005

      > Pestra nabidka kavy Alfredo a ruzných druhu cokolad - does this refer
      > to various types of hot chocolate/chocolate drinks/chocolate?
      >

      > I believe Alfredo is a brand

      hot chocolate, yes.

      Petr
    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
        imobilni pokoj - room with wheelchair access?
        it's not just access and not just wheelchair (movement impaired), there's a
        special bathroom for wheelchair people, plus some features for deaf/blind,
        etc., for example fire alarm siren will signal fire by flashing light in the
        room, etc.... I believe there's some all-encompassing PC term for this type
        of room (there's usually at least one on every floor of a hotel), but can't
        remember it off the top of my head...

        manzelske luzko - I presume this is just an ordinary double bed would be
        what's called queen size in US, but double as a general term is OK

        Pestra nabidka kavy Alfredo a ruzných druhu cokolad - does this refer
        to various types of hot chocolate/chocolate drinks/chocolate?

        The hotel also offers the sport "ricochet". Is this simply squash or
        is it something else? (can't find any decent English hits for ricochet
        and sport - just German ones)

        Different court, different rules, different rackets and balls, the word is
        french, but used in Eng, try different spelling, I think ther's an accent
        somewhere in there

        Predrezervace pokoje cislo - this is a heading for booking services.
        Do they mean Predrezervace cisla pokoje?

        Also they have the following privacy disclaimer:

        Vytvorenim registrace souhlasite se zasilanim informaci tohoto systemu
        do databaze hotelu XXXX, v souladu se zakonem c. 480/2004 Sb., o
        nekterych sluzbach informacni spolecnosti. Zaroven *souhlasim* s tim,
        aby hotel CENTRAL zpracoval Vami poskytnuta data k marketingovym
        ucelum.

        I presume the word in asterisks should be souhlasite? Also what is
        an "informacni spolecnost" an informatinon cpmpany? (society?)

        - the spolecnost in the name of the Act refers to the use of IT in everyday
        life, informacni spolecnost being an euphemism for bigh bother (as in
        Orwell, not TV Nova), literally society, but would sound weird if translated
        this way, best to look up an established translation of the name of the Act
        in question (alth' that may indeed be horrible Czenglish)

        Matej

        Czechlist resources:

        Yahoo! Groups Links