Help: chalupareni

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hi there,
      Do you think "visiting my country cottage" is ok as a translation
      for "chalupareni"? It's listed as an interest/hobby in a CV.

      Somehow I reckon "cottaging" might give the wrong impression :-))))

      Coilin
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
        Hi Coilin,

        pls explain what impression it could be.

        Chalupareni is something more active than mere visiting, it is also
        constructing, maintenance, gardening, using and living there of course.
        The same is chatareni, only the object differs. Chalupa is rather old
        village house, chata is usually newer, with simpler construction (but not
        always!).

        Honza

        > Do you think "visiting my country cottage" is ok as a translation
        > for "chalupareni"? It's listed as an interest/hobby in a CV.
        >
        > Somehow I reckon "cottaging" might give the wrong impression :-))))
        >
        > Coilin
        >

        > Czechlist resources:

      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
          Thanks Honza.
          So how about "visiting and doing up my country cottage"?

          > pls explain what impression it could be.
          >> > Somehow I reckon "cottaging" might give the wrong impression :-
          ))))

          Seeing as you ask, "cottaging" is used as a slang expression for
          homosexual intercourse (usually oral) in the cublicles of men's
          toilets...(at least in BE) :-)

          Coilin
        • Jan Culka
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
            I like your solution. It is probably not completely exhausting but
            sufficient, I´d say.

            Re "cottaging" - interesting. I have never met this. Maybe if I knew BE
            slang, or homosexual intercoursing. Both of them are a bit distant to me.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@m...> wrote:

              > I like your solution. It is probably not completely exhausting

              ...exhaustive...

              > but sufficient, I´d say.

              Quite. Or maybe 'holiday homemaking' or 'cottage homemaking' would
              work in some contexts...?

              > > Seeing as you ask, "cottaging" is used as a slang expression for
              > > homosexual intercourse (usually oral) in the cublicles of men's
              > > toilets...(at least in BE) :-)

              There's a wikipedia entry for everything these days...

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottaging

              You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in
              one phrase: make use of suffering.
              - Henri Frederic Amiel