TERM: chy'ma

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      In a trademark application from Slovakia, there's a
      line that says

      Prehla'senie OZ za chy'mu

      where "OZ" is obviously "ochrannej zna'mky" -- but I've
      never seen or heard "chy'ma" or even "chyma." Googling
      shows me only "chyma" or "chymu" as a seeming mistake
      for "chyba." But I doubt that the Industrial Property
      office made a mistake (so to speak) here. Can anyone
      set me straight, please?

      (I do find chyma for chyba a few times elsewhere, such
      as below, but it's hard to believe that the office
      would let that go by in a printed form. The letters
      aren't close, and even though they're both bilabials, I
      don't recall ever hearing any Slovak say "m" for "b" or
      vice-versa:
      "Z niceho nic se mi na PC AMD KII 400 . . .
      zacala objevovat tato hlaska - Neplatnost stranky v
      modulu MSHTML.DLL . . .
      Tato chyma se projevuje i pri otvirani OExpres . . .."
      "Mam normalne stredoevropske jazyky (windows)....ja sve
      prispevky i prispevky
      ostatnich vidim dobre . . .. Nebude chyma u tebe?"

      ???

      Perplexed at about -12C in Minnesota
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        Fi Michael,

        it only occurs to me, it could be a double typo: "chy'bnu"...

        Jirka Bolech
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>
          wrote:

          > Fi Michael,
          >
          > it only occurs to me, it could be a double typo: "chy'bnu"...

          Thanks, Jirka. That helps, as I couldn't see how they could mistype
          long y' if they meant only short y. It still requires a double typo,
          as you say. But I can't see any other option.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
            Puzzle solved: c h y' r n u, not c h y' m u -- prehla'senie
            ochrannej zna'mky za chy'RNu. Boy oh boy, do I hate Arial's kerning
            or lack thereof at fax quality on small fonts.

            Hitting self on forehead
            for third time