Re: [Czechlist] Dollars

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
      I guess the story happend a long time ago, while it was narrated in 1995
      - so they've just converted the then-dollar amount to the today's (or
      1999's) purchase power. In other words, a cup of coffe costed 15 cents
      in 1935 but 2 bucks in 1999 (a fictious figure), so 15 cents of 1935
      would make 2 bucks in 1999 dollars.

      hth
      Martin

      Zuzana Kočičková wrote:

      >Hi,
      >I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can you help me?
      >
      > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay themselves annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999 dollars)
      >
      >Thanks a lot
      >Zuzana

    • Petr Veselý
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
        Dle meho se tim mysli smenny kurz dolaru v roce 1999

        Petr

        > I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can you help
        > me?
        >
        > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay themselves
        > annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999 dollars)
        >
        > Thanks a lot
        > Zuzana

        > Czechlist resources:

      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
          If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
          amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
          pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
          1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....

          HTH

          > > Hi,
          > > I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can
          you help
          > > me?
          > >
          > > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay
          themselves
          > > annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999
          dollars)

          > > Thanks a lot
          > > Zuzana

          > > Czechlist resources:

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Zuzana Kocicková
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
            Thanks a lot, boys:-)
            I think it is not an exchange rate but I was not sure, whether it is the
            value of money in a specific year or not.
            We also say - v dnesnich korunach by to bylo...
            BR from the BR district
            Zuzana
            > If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
            > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
            > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
            > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....
            >
            > HTH
            > >

            > > > Hi,
            > > > I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can
            > you help
            > > > me?
            > > >
            > > > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay
            > themselves
            > > > annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999
            > dollars)
            > > >
            > > > Thanks a lot
            > > > Zuzana

            > > > Czechlist resources:
            > > > http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Czechlist resources:

            > __________ Informace od NOD32 1.1173 (20050719) __________
            >
            > Tato zprava byla proverena antivirovym systemem NOD32.
            > http://www.nod32.cz

          • Petr Veselý
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
              Jojo, blbe jsem to vyjadril, ale myslel jsem totez co Martin :). Taky rikame
              "prepocteno na rok xyz"

              Petr

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                It means the dollar figure is not adjusted for inflation, so it's a
                dollar at its value in 1999, and not revised to reflect its value in
                2005, or whenever.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                  On Nov 29, 2005, at 3:13 AM, coilinoc wrote:

                  > If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
                  > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
                  > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
                  > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....

                  Yes. This is a good explanation.

                  If they are in 1999 and talking about money made before 1999, then it
                  means the figure is adjusted for inflation. If they are in 2005 and
                  talking about money made in 1999, then they mean the figure has not
                  been adjusted for inflation. What it means depends whether you're in
                  2005 looking back at 1999 (unadjusted), or in 1999 looking back at
                  some earlier year (adjusted).

                  Jamie
                • Zuzana Kocicková
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                    Thanks Jamie for your explanation. The inflation seems to be another
                    important factor to be considered as in:

                    By age 62, the worker would retire with a fund of $128,460 in today's 2000
                    dollars, after inflation.

                    BR
                    Zuzana

                    > On Nov 29, 2005, at 3:13 AM, coilinoc wrote:
                    >
                    > > If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
                    > > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
                    > > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
                    > > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....
                    >
                    > Yes. This is a good explanation.
                    >
                    > If they are in 1999 and talking about money made before 1999, then it
                    > means the figure is adjusted for inflation. If they are in 2005 and
                    > talking about money made in 1999, then they mean the figure has not
                    > been adjusted for inflation. What it means depends whether you're in
                    > 2005 looking back at 1999 (unadjusted), or in 1999 looking back at
                    > some earlier year (adjusted).
                    >
                    > Jamie
                    >

                    > Czechlist resources:

                    > __________ Informace od NOD32 1.1173 (20050719) __________
                    >
                    > Tato zprava byla proverena antivirovym systemem NOD32.
                    > http://www.nod32.cz

                  • Jan Vanek jr.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 30, 2005
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

                      > how much an
                      > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
                      > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
                      > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....

                      Which reminds me, does anybody know where to find a table for such
                      conversions of USD (though GBP might be handy as well) purchasing
                      power through time since, say, 1920es, but the longer and more
                      detailed the better? The best I recall was a graph at the endpaper of
                      Samuelson & Nordhaus's Ekonomie, but I never googled too deep and
                      obviously there MUST be something...

                      --
                      Jan Vanek jr.

                      BTW, a friend recently drew my attention to this:
                      http://pdata.webpark.cz and especially
                      http://pdata.webpark.cz/dokumenty/prekladatelstvi.doc in the
                      section "Uzitecne informace pro jazykovou praxi". His comment
                      is "Nasel jsem to nahodou pøi googlovani - jsou to rady stareho
                      praktika. Graficka uprava ovsem otresna." For me, the flashing
                      colours, length and current lack of time preclude anything deeper
                      than skimming, with the resulting feel that "nepretrzita 49leta
                      cinnost v oboru" brings certain moaning about fallen-ness (sp?) of
                      the world (cf. some articles in JTP publications or _fejetony_ by
                      Ivan Klima); and anyway not being a _praktik_ I can't really
                      appreciate or even judge it. But those who are might be interested.

                      Sorry if it has been brought up before.
                    • Michael Trittipo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 30, 2005
                        Jan Vanek jr. wrote:
                        > Which reminds me, does anybody know where to find a table for such
                        > conversions of USD (though GBP might be handy as well) purchasing
                        > power through time since, say, 1920es, but the longer and more
                        > detailed the better?

                        You can find them via http://www.bls.gov/
                        and specifically at pages such as
                        http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm#tables and even more
                        specifically at
                        ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/cpi/cpiai.txt
                      • Michael Trittipo
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Jan Vanek jr. wrote:
                          > Which reminds me, does anybody know where to find a table for such
                          > conversions of USD (though GBP might be handy as well) purchasing

                          There also are links at pages such as
                          http://oregonstate.edu/dept/pol_sci/fac/sahr/sahr.htm