Dollars

  • Zuzana Kočičková
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
      Hi,
      I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can you help me?

      By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay themselves annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999 dollars)

      Thanks a lot
      Zuzana

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
        I guess the story happend a long time ago, while it was narrated in 1995
        - so they've just converted the then-dollar amount to the today's (or
        1999's) purchase power. In other words, a cup of coffe costed 15 cents
        in 1935 but 2 bucks in 1999 (a fictious figure), so 15 cents of 1935
        would make 2 bucks in 1999 dollars.

        hth
        Martin

        Zuzana Kočičková wrote:

        >Hi,
        >I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can you help me?
        >
        > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay themselves annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999 dollars)
        >
        >Thanks a lot
        >Zuzana

      • Petr Veselý
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
          Dle meho se tim mysli smenny kurz dolaru v roce 1999

          Petr

          > I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can you help
          > me?
          >
          > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay themselves
          > annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999 dollars)
          >
          > Thanks a lot
          > Zuzana

          > Czechlist resources:

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
            If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
            amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
            pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
            1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....

            HTH

            > > Hi,
            > > I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can
            you help
            > > me?
            > >
            > > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay
            themselves
            > > annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999
            dollars)

            > > Thanks a lot
            > > Zuzana

            > > Czechlist resources:

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Zuzana Kocicková
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
              Thanks a lot, boys:-)
              I think it is not an exchange rate but I was not sure, whether it is the
              value of money in a specific year or not.
              We also say - v dnesnich korunach by to bylo...
              BR from the BR district
              Zuzana
              > If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
              > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
              > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
              > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....
              >
              > HTH
              > >

              > > > Hi,
              > > > I do not know what the expression in brackets exactly means. Can
              > you help
              > > > me?
              > > >
              > > > By the end of their first year, they earned enough to pay
              > themselves
              > > > annual salaries of about $12000 each (about $65000 in 1999
              > dollars)
              > > >
              > > > Thanks a lot
              > > > Zuzana

              > > > Czechlist resources:
              > > > http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Czechlist resources:

              > __________ Informace od NOD32 1.1173 (20050719) __________
              >
              > Tato zprava byla proverena antivirovym systemem NOD32.
              > http://www.nod32.cz

            • Petr Veselý
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                Jojo, blbe jsem to vyjadril, ale myslel jsem totez co Martin :). Taky rikame
                "prepocteno na rok xyz"

                Petr

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                  It means the dollar figure is not adjusted for inflation, so it's a
                  dollar at its value in 1999, and not revised to reflect its value in
                  2005, or whenever.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                    On Nov 29, 2005, at 3:13 AM, coilinoc wrote:

                    > If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
                    > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
                    > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
                    > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....

                    Yes. This is a good explanation.

                    If they are in 1999 and talking about money made before 1999, then it
                    means the figure is adjusted for inflation. If they are in 2005 and
                    talking about money made in 1999, then they mean the figure has not
                    been adjusted for inflation. What it means depends whether you're in
                    2005 looking back at 1999 (unadjusted), or in 1999 looking back at
                    some earlier year (adjusted).

                    Jamie
                  • Zuzana Kocicková
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                      Thanks Jamie for your explanation. The inflation seems to be another
                      important factor to be considered as in:

                      By age 62, the worker would retire with a fund of $128,460 in today's 2000
                      dollars, after inflation.

                      BR
                      Zuzana

                      > On Nov 29, 2005, at 3:13 AM, coilinoc wrote:
                      >
                      > > If the text was written in 1999, it simply refers to how much an
                      > > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
                      > > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
                      > > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....
                      >
                      > Yes. This is a good explanation.
                      >
                      > If they are in 1999 and talking about money made before 1999, then it
                      > means the figure is adjusted for inflation. If they are in 2005 and
                      > talking about money made in 1999, then they mean the figure has not
                      > been adjusted for inflation. What it means depends whether you're in
                      > 2005 looking back at 1999 (unadjusted), or in 1999 looking back at
                      > some earlier year (adjusted).
                      >
                      > Jamie
                      >

                      > Czechlist resources:

                      > __________ Informace od NOD32 1.1173 (20050719) __________
                      >
                      > Tato zprava byla proverena antivirovym systemem NOD32.
                      > http://www.nod32.cz

                    • Jan Vanek jr.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 30, 2005
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

                        > how much an
                        > amount made in the past would be worth in "today's money." It's
                        > pretty common to say things like XXX made over 10 million USD in
                        > 1956, which would be worth nearly a billion today, etc....

                        Which reminds me, does anybody know where to find a table for such
                        conversions of USD (though GBP might be handy as well) purchasing
                        power through time since, say, 1920es, but the longer and more
                        detailed the better? The best I recall was a graph at the endpaper of
                        Samuelson & Nordhaus's Ekonomie, but I never googled too deep and
                        obviously there MUST be something...

                        --
                        Jan Vanek jr.

                        BTW, a friend recently drew my attention to this:
                        http://pdata.webpark.cz and especially
                        http://pdata.webpark.cz/dokumenty/prekladatelstvi.doc in the
                        section "Uzitecne informace pro jazykovou praxi". His comment
                        is "Nasel jsem to nahodou pøi googlovani - jsou to rady stareho
                        praktika. Graficka uprava ovsem otresna." For me, the flashing
                        colours, length and current lack of time preclude anything deeper
                        than skimming, with the resulting feel that "nepretrzita 49leta
                        cinnost v oboru" brings certain moaning about fallen-ness (sp?) of
                        the world (cf. some articles in JTP publications or _fejetony_ by
                        Ivan Klima); and anyway not being a _praktik_ I can't really
                        appreciate or even judge it. But those who are might be interested.

                        Sorry if it has been brought up before.
                      • Michael Trittipo
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Jan Vanek jr. wrote:
                          > Which reminds me, does anybody know where to find a table for such
                          > conversions of USD (though GBP might be handy as well) purchasing
                          > power through time since, say, 1920es, but the longer and more
                          > detailed the better?

                          You can find them via http://www.bls.gov/
                          and specifically at pages such as
                          http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm#tables and even more
                          specifically at
                          ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/cpi/cpiai.txt
                        • Michael Trittipo
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 30, 2005
                            Jan Vanek jr. wrote:
                            > Which reminds me, does anybody know where to find a table for such
                            > conversions of USD (though GBP might be handy as well) purchasing

                            There also are links at pages such as
                            http://oregonstate.edu/dept/pol_sci/fac/sahr/sahr.htm