Re: GRAMMAR: "The hotel XY"

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 25, 2005
      It all depends on whether "Hotel" is part of the name, or whether the
      Czech is just using "hotel" as an identifier. It's a handy device to
      avoid having to decline foreign words and book titles and so forth.

      If the name of the hotel in Czech is "Hotel Jalta" I'd go for plain
      Hotel Jalta in English, with the use of "the" being determined by the
      usual rules. (When you get the inverted order in the name of American
      hotels it's a signal they're trying for elegance,suggesting a French
      connection.) If it's a hotel named "Jalta" you might call it "the
      Jalta hotel" on the first mention (so everybody knows what it is) and
      then further on "the Jalta." It's one of those things a native speaker
      would do correctly automatically if he weren't translating. IMHO.
      (First mention: "We stayed two days at the Hotel Jalta..." - if that's
      the exact Czech name, or - "at the Jalta hotel." - if the name is
      simply "Jalta."
      From then on: "The Jalta is a glorious example of Romanesque plumbing"
      - either case.

      Jamie?