Re: [Czechlist] Re: Transcript confusion

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
      It looks like they get a grade for the winter and that ZK or ZA for the
      summer. Does this mean they don't get a grade, or that they pass the
      winter semester's exam in the summer?

      You'll have to excuse me on this, because I never got close enough to
      the Czech university system to know all this stuff.

      Jamie

      On Thursday, November 3, 2005, at 06:34 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

      > That's right, zkouska and zapocet. To make it a little bit more
      > complicated though, sometimes you are  required to pass an exam
      > (usually
      > less formal and rigid than zkouska) even to get zapocet (they call it
      > 'klasifikovany zapocet').
      >
      > Martin
      >
      > coilinoc wrote:
      >
      > >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>

      > >>Czech university, and I'm not sure about some abbreviations.  I hope
      > >>someone can help me.  (I'll bet someone has already asked about
      > >>

      > >these,
      > >

      > >>but I'm not sure.)
      > >>
      > >>Where they list the courses the student took, there is a column for
      > >>

      > >the
      > >

      > >>number of credits.  In the winter semester, there is always a number
      > >>given, but in the summer semester, instead of a number of credits,
      > >>there is either the abbreviation "ZK" or "ZÁ".  Can anyone tell me
      > >>

      > >what
      > >

      > >>those stand for?  Some kind of exams, I assume, but what kind?
      > >>

      > >I think ZK means zkouska and Zá is Zapoèet.
      > >
      > >I think the former means that the person passed an examination in the
      > >subject while the latter means they were given a credit for taking the
      > >course. I suspect what you call numbered credits are actually standard
      > >grades. e.g. 1,2,3,... (equivalent of A, B, C,...)
      > >
      > >Of course, some Czech NSer might tell me I'm completely wrong :-)
      > >Coilin
      > >

      > >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > --------------------~-->
      > >

      > Czechlist resources:

      <image.tiff>

      <image.tiff>

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

      <image.tiff>

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
        Hard to say without any context - can you share the whole bit with us?
        You say they get a grade in winter and ZK (or ZA) in summer - do they
        call the 'grade' differently from ZK? That might suggest ZK is something
        else that the grade...?
        In general: I don't think that an option to do a winter exam in summer
        would be a standard option mentioned in the curricula. But true, I
        graduated some 20 yrs ago.
        My - old man's :-) - impression is that there is a mandatory part of
        curricula in winter that you have to pass and get a grade, and then
        perhaps an option to go on with the specialization and pass another exam
        or go for a less intensive course and end up with a zapocet. But the
        context might help to be sure.

        hth
        Martin

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
          Thanks, Coilin and Martin.

          I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"

          Millennium translates it as "reading in the library", which really has
          to be impossible. Any suggestions? Is it an on-campus program or what?

          Jamie
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
            Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to full time - could be
            distance learning, evening courses, etc. (you only come to meet your tutor
            every now and then, get assignments and then show up for the exams type of
            deal) - can't remember the umbrella term, sure you'll be able to come up
            with one

            Matej

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
              Millenium is right - but in a certain context only: if you go to a
              library and ask for a rare/expensive print, you will be only allowed to
              read it on site, no home borrowings (= dostanes ji k prezencnimu studiu).
              However, in your case, they most likely mean daily/full time course
              (denni studium), as opposed to dalkove studium.

              hth
              Martin

              James Kirchner wrote:

              >Thanks, Coilin and Martin.
              >
              >I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"
              >
              >Millennium translates it as "reading in the library", which really has
              >to be impossible. Any suggestions? Is it an on-campus program or what?
              >
              >Jamie

            • Terminus Technicus
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                Oops, sorry, confused the two, Martin is right, of course...

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Looks like Matej thinks it's the exact opposite. Well, Jamie, check it
                  yourself - just run a google query for: prezencní + dálkové.
                  Martin

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005

                    > I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"

                    Check out these messages for some smart ideas:

                    et seq...

                    Incidentally, 'prezencni' is discussed in a library context in

                    et seq...

                    Observe constantly that all things take place by change, and accustom
                    thyself to consider that the nature of the Universe loves nothing so
                    much as to change the things which are, and to make new things like them.
                    - Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Prezencni studium:

                      On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:05 PM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                      > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to full time - could
                      > be
                      > distance learning, evening courses, etc.

                      ?????????!

                      The student herself claims it means full-time study, but sometimes
                      students wanting to get into school here try to lie about that stuff,
                      so I have to ask again.

                      The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so the numbers appear
                      to be credits, rather than grades. This system is confusing, because
                      numbers are used for both grades and credits. On this one, the credits
                      are given, and then what passes for a grade is a nearly illegible
                      (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner or bureaucrat.
                      (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital due to staff
                      members' bad penmanship.)

                      While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student has her name
                      written in the transcript thus:

                      Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS

                      What is this "DiS"?

                    • Stanislav Zizka
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                        Hello,

                        The study regulations of our university define
                        prezencni studium as:
                        "Prezencní forma studia predpokládá u studentu úcast
                        na prednáskách, cviceních, seminárích a dalsích
                        vzdelávacích aktivitách, které jsou obsahem studijního
                        plánu."

                        Another form is kind of "individual form of study":
                        "Kombinovaná forma studia vychází z prezencní formy
                        studia s tím, ze se u ní predpokládá vyssí podíl
                        samostatného studia."

                        And you certainly know "distancní forma studia"

                        DiS stands for "Diplomovaný specialista" which is a
                        title obtained after successfully finishing Vyssi
                        odborna skola. On page 2 of this PDF you'll find
                        explanation: http://web.utb.cz/cs/docs/pravopis.pdf

                        Standa

                        ---------------------------------

                        Technicus wrote:

                        > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to
                        full time - could
                        > be
                        > distance learning, evening courses, etc.

                        ?????????!

                        The student herself claims it means full-time study,
                        but sometimes
                        students wanting to get into school here try to lie
                        about that stuff,
                        so I have to ask again.

                        The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so
                        the numbers appear
                        to be credits, rather than grades. This system is
                        confusing, because
                        numbers are used for both grades and credits. On this
                        one, the credits
                        are given, and then what passes for a grade is a
                        nearly illegible
                        (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner
                        or bureaucrat.
                        (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital
                        due to staff
                        members' bad penmanship.)

                        While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student
                        has her name
                        written in the transcript thus:

                        Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS

                        What is this "DiS"?

                        Czechlist resources:

                        Terms of Service.

                        ---------------------------------

                      • iseykora
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                          DiS = diplomovaný specialista

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                            Thanks, Standa. This file helps.

                            And thanks again to Coilin, Martin, Melvyn and anyone else who assisted
                            me.

                            I decided not to translate DiS at all, because it's a type of title
                            nobody has here in the US, and it was not necessary for the purpose of
                            this translation.

                            Jamie

                            On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 01:31 AM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > The study regulations of our university define
                            > prezencni studium as:
                            > "Prezencní forma studia predpokládá u studentu úcast
                            > na prednáskách, cviceních, seminárích a dalsích
                            > vzdelávacích aktivitách, které jsou obsahem studijního
                            > plánu."
                            >
                            > Another form is kind of "individual form of study":
                            > "Kombinovaná forma studia vychází z prezencní formy
                            > studia s tím, ze se u ní predpokládá vyssí podíl
                            > samostatného studia."
                            >
                            > And you certainly know "distancní forma studia"
                            >
                            > DiS stands for "Diplomovaný specialista" which is a
                            > title obtained after successfully finishing Vyssi
                            > odborna skola. On page 2 of this PDF you'll find
                            > explanation: http://web.utb.cz/cs/docs/pravopis.pdf
                            >
                            > Standa
                            >

                            > --- James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > Prezencni studium:
                            >
                            > On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:09  PM, Martin
                            > Janda wrote:
                            >
                            > > However, in your case, they most likely mean
                            > daily/full time course
                            > > (denni studium),  as opposed to dalkove studium.
                            >
                            > On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:05  PM, Terminus
                            > Technicus wrote:
                            >
                            > > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to
                            > full time - could
                            > > be
                            > > distance learning, evening courses, etc.
                            >
                            > ?????????!
                            >
                            > The student herself claims it means full-time study,
                            > but sometimes
                            > students wanting to get into school here try to lie
                            > about that stuff,
                            > so I have to ask again.
                            >
                            > The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so
                            > the numbers appear
                            > to be credits, rather than grades.  This system is
                            > confusing, because
                            > numbers are used for both grades and credits.  On this
                            > one, the credits
                            > are given, and then what passes for a grade is a
                            > nearly illegible
                            > (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner
                            > or bureaucrat.
                            > (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital
                            > due to staff
                            > members' bad penmanship.)
                            >
                            > While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student
                            > has her name
                            > written in the transcript thus:
                            >
                            >       Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS
                            >
                            > What is this "DiS"?

                            > Czechlist resources:

                            >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                            > Terms of Service.
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------

                            > Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com
                            >

                            > Czechlist resources:

                            <image.tiff>

                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >
                            > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

                            <image.tiff>

                          • jsyeaton
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                              While you're at it, how about the prezencni sluzba they used to have
                              when you still had obligatory military service? Was there a kind of
                              service where you didn't have to be present?

                              Judy