Re: [Czechlist] Re: Transcript confusion

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
      That's right, zkouska and zapocet. To make it a little bit more
      complicated though, sometimes you are required to pass an exam (usually
      less formal and rigid than zkouska) even to get zapocet (they call it
      'klasifikovany zapocet').

      Martin

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
        It looks like they get a grade for the winter and that ZK or ZA for the
        summer. Does this mean they don't get a grade, or that they pass the
        winter semester's exam in the summer?

        You'll have to excuse me on this, because I never got close enough to
        the Czech university system to know all this stuff.

        Jamie

        On Thursday, November 3, 2005, at 06:34 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

        > That's right, zkouska and zapocet. To make it a little bit more
        > complicated though, sometimes you are  required to pass an exam
        > (usually
        > less formal and rigid than zkouska) even to get zapocet (they call it
        > 'klasifikovany zapocet').
        >
        > Martin
        >
        > coilinoc wrote:
        >
        > >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>

        > >>Czech university, and I'm not sure about some abbreviations.  I hope
        > >>someone can help me.  (I'll bet someone has already asked about
        > >>

        > >these,
        > >

        > >>but I'm not sure.)
        > >>
        > >>Where they list the courses the student took, there is a column for
        > >>

        > >the
        > >

        > >>number of credits.  In the winter semester, there is always a number
        > >>given, but in the summer semester, instead of a number of credits,
        > >>there is either the abbreviation "ZK" or "ZÁ".  Can anyone tell me
        > >>

        > >what
        > >

        > >>those stand for?  Some kind of exams, I assume, but what kind?
        > >>

        > >I think ZK means zkouska and Zá is Zapoèet.
        > >
        > >I think the former means that the person passed an examination in the
        > >subject while the latter means they were given a credit for taking the
        > >course. I suspect what you call numbered credits are actually standard
        > >grades. e.g. 1,2,3,... (equivalent of A, B, C,...)
        > >
        > >Of course, some Czech NSer might tell me I'm completely wrong :-)
        > >Coilin
        > >

        > >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > --------------------~-->
        > >

        > Czechlist resources:

        <image.tiff>

        <image.tiff>

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

        <image.tiff>

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
          Hard to say without any context - can you share the whole bit with us?
          You say they get a grade in winter and ZK (or ZA) in summer - do they
          call the 'grade' differently from ZK? That might suggest ZK is something
          else that the grade...?
          In general: I don't think that an option to do a winter exam in summer
          would be a standard option mentioned in the curricula. But true, I
          graduated some 20 yrs ago.
          My - old man's :-) - impression is that there is a mandatory part of
          curricula in winter that you have to pass and get a grade, and then
          perhaps an option to go on with the specialization and pass another exam
          or go for a less intensive course and end up with a zapocet. But the
          context might help to be sure.

          hth
          Martin

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
            Thanks, Coilin and Martin.

            I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"

            Millennium translates it as "reading in the library", which really has
            to be impossible. Any suggestions? Is it an on-campus program or what?

            Jamie
          • Terminus Technicus
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
              Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to full time - could be
              distance learning, evening courses, etc. (you only come to meet your tutor
              every now and then, get assignments and then show up for the exams type of
              deal) - can't remember the umbrella term, sure you'll be able to come up
              with one

              Matej

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                Millenium is right - but in a certain context only: if you go to a
                library and ask for a rare/expensive print, you will be only allowed to
                read it on site, no home borrowings (= dostanes ji k prezencnimu studiu).
                However, in your case, they most likely mean daily/full time course
                (denni studium), as opposed to dalkove studium.

                hth
                Martin

                James Kirchner wrote:

                >Thanks, Coilin and Martin.
                >
                >I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"
                >
                >Millennium translates it as "reading in the library", which really has
                >to be impossible. Any suggestions? Is it an on-campus program or what?
                >
                >Jamie

              • Terminus Technicus
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Oops, sorry, confused the two, Martin is right, of course...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                    Looks like Matej thinks it's the exact opposite. Well, Jamie, check it
                    yourself - just run a google query for: prezencní + dálkové.
                    Martin

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005

                      > I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"

                      Check out these messages for some smart ideas:

                      et seq...

                      Incidentally, 'prezencni' is discussed in a library context in

                      et seq...

                      Observe constantly that all things take place by change, and accustom
                      thyself to consider that the nature of the Universe loves nothing so
                      much as to change the things which are, and to make new things like them.
                      - Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                        Prezencni studium:

                        On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:05 PM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                        > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to full time - could
                        > be
                        > distance learning, evening courses, etc.

                        ?????????!

                        The student herself claims it means full-time study, but sometimes
                        students wanting to get into school here try to lie about that stuff,
                        so I have to ask again.

                        The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so the numbers appear
                        to be credits, rather than grades. This system is confusing, because
                        numbers are used for both grades and credits. On this one, the credits
                        are given, and then what passes for a grade is a nearly illegible
                        (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner or bureaucrat.
                        (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital due to staff
                        members' bad penmanship.)

                        While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student has her name
                        written in the transcript thus:

                        Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS

                        What is this "DiS"?

                      • Stanislav Zizka
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                          Hello,

                          The study regulations of our university define
                          prezencni studium as:
                          "Prezencní forma studia predpokládá u studentu úcast
                          na prednáskách, cviceních, seminárích a dalsích
                          vzdelávacích aktivitách, které jsou obsahem studijního
                          plánu."

                          Another form is kind of "individual form of study":
                          "Kombinovaná forma studia vychází z prezencní formy
                          studia s tím, ze se u ní predpokládá vyssí podíl
                          samostatného studia."

                          And you certainly know "distancní forma studia"

                          DiS stands for "Diplomovaný specialista" which is a
                          title obtained after successfully finishing Vyssi
                          odborna skola. On page 2 of this PDF you'll find
                          explanation: http://web.utb.cz/cs/docs/pravopis.pdf

                          Standa

                          ---------------------------------

                          Technicus wrote:

                          > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to
                          full time - could
                          > be
                          > distance learning, evening courses, etc.

                          ?????????!

                          The student herself claims it means full-time study,
                          but sometimes
                          students wanting to get into school here try to lie
                          about that stuff,
                          so I have to ask again.

                          The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so
                          the numbers appear
                          to be credits, rather than grades. This system is
                          confusing, because
                          numbers are used for both grades and credits. On this
                          one, the credits
                          are given, and then what passes for a grade is a
                          nearly illegible
                          (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner
                          or bureaucrat.
                          (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital
                          due to staff
                          members' bad penmanship.)

                          While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student
                          has her name
                          written in the transcript thus:

                          Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS

                          What is this "DiS"?

                          Czechlist resources:

                          Terms of Service.

                          ---------------------------------

                        • iseykora
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                            DiS = diplomovaný specialista

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                              Thanks, Standa. This file helps.

                              And thanks again to Coilin, Martin, Melvyn and anyone else who assisted
                              me.

                              I decided not to translate DiS at all, because it's a type of title
                              nobody has here in the US, and it was not necessary for the purpose of
                              this translation.

                              Jamie

                              On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 01:31 AM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:

                              > Hello,
                              >
                              > The study regulations of our university define
                              > prezencni studium as:
                              > "Prezencní forma studia predpokládá u studentu úcast
                              > na prednáskách, cviceních, seminárích a dalsích
                              > vzdelávacích aktivitách, které jsou obsahem studijního
                              > plánu."
                              >
                              > Another form is kind of "individual form of study":
                              > "Kombinovaná forma studia vychází z prezencní formy
                              > studia s tím, ze se u ní predpokládá vyssí podíl
                              > samostatného studia."
                              >
                              > And you certainly know "distancní forma studia"
                              >
                              > DiS stands for "Diplomovaný specialista" which is a
                              > title obtained after successfully finishing Vyssi
                              > odborna skola. On page 2 of this PDF you'll find
                              > explanation: http://web.utb.cz/cs/docs/pravopis.pdf
                              >
                              > Standa
                              >

                              > --- James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > ---------------------------------
                              > Prezencni studium:
                              >
                              > On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:09  PM, Martin
                              > Janda wrote:
                              >
                              > > However, in your case, they most likely mean
                              > daily/full time course
                              > > (denni studium),  as opposed to dalkove studium.
                              >
                              > On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:05  PM, Terminus
                              > Technicus wrote:
                              >
                              > > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to
                              > full time - could
                              > > be
                              > > distance learning, evening courses, etc.
                              >
                              > ?????????!
                              >
                              > The student herself claims it means full-time study,
                              > but sometimes
                              > students wanting to get into school here try to lie
                              > about that stuff,
                              > so I have to ask again.
                              >
                              > The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so
                              > the numbers appear
                              > to be credits, rather than grades.  This system is
                              > confusing, because
                              > numbers are used for both grades and credits.  On this
                              > one, the credits
                              > are given, and then what passes for a grade is a
                              > nearly illegible
                              > (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner
                              > or bureaucrat.
                              > (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital
                              > due to staff
                              > members' bad penmanship.)
                              >
                              > While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student
                              > has her name
                              > written in the transcript thus:
                              >
                              >       Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS
                              >
                              > What is this "DiS"?

                              > Czechlist resources:

                              >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                              > Terms of Service.
                              >

                              > ---------------------------------

                              > Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com
                              >

                              > Czechlist resources:

                              <image.tiff>

                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              >
                              > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

                              <image.tiff>

                            • jsyeaton
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                                While you're at it, how about the prezencni sluzba they used to have
                                when you still had obligatory military service? Was there a kind of
                                service where you didn't have to be present?

                                Judy