Re: Transcript confusion

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
      >> I've got someone's little carry-around-with-you grade booklet from
      > Czech university, and I'm not sure about some abbreviations. I hope
      > someone can help me. (I'll bet someone has already asked about
      these,
      > but I'm not sure.)
      >
      > Where they list the courses the student took, there is a column for
      the
      > number of credits. In the winter semester, there is always a number
      > given, but in the summer semester, instead of a number of credits,
      > there is either the abbreviation "ZK" or "ZÁ". Can anyone tell me
      what
      > those stand for? Some kind of exams, I assume, but what kind?

      I think ZK means zkouska and Zá is Zapoèet.

      I think the former means that the person passed an examination in the
      subject while the latter means they were given a credit for taking the
      course. I suspect what you call numbered credits are actually standard
      grades. e.g. 1,2,3,... (equivalent of A, B, C,...)

      Of course, some Czech NSer might tell me I'm completely wrong :-)
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
        That's right, zkouska and zapocet. To make it a little bit more
        complicated though, sometimes you are required to pass an exam (usually
        less formal and rigid than zkouska) even to get zapocet (they call it
        'klasifikovany zapocet').

        Martin

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
          It looks like they get a grade for the winter and that ZK or ZA for the
          summer. Does this mean they don't get a grade, or that they pass the
          winter semester's exam in the summer?

          You'll have to excuse me on this, because I never got close enough to
          the Czech university system to know all this stuff.

          Jamie

          On Thursday, November 3, 2005, at 06:34 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

          > That's right, zkouska and zapocet. To make it a little bit more
          > complicated though, sometimes you are  required to pass an exam
          > (usually
          > less formal and rigid than zkouska) even to get zapocet (they call it
          > 'klasifikovany zapocet').
          >
          > Martin
          >
          > coilinoc wrote:
          >
          > >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>

          > >>Czech university, and I'm not sure about some abbreviations.  I hope
          > >>someone can help me.  (I'll bet someone has already asked about
          > >>

          > >these,
          > >

          > >>but I'm not sure.)
          > >>
          > >>Where they list the courses the student took, there is a column for
          > >>

          > >the
          > >

          > >>number of credits.  In the winter semester, there is always a number
          > >>given, but in the summer semester, instead of a number of credits,
          > >>there is either the abbreviation "ZK" or "ZÁ".  Can anyone tell me
          > >>

          > >what
          > >

          > >>those stand for?  Some kind of exams, I assume, but what kind?
          > >>

          > >I think ZK means zkouska and Zá is Zapoèet.
          > >
          > >I think the former means that the person passed an examination in the
          > >subject while the latter means they were given a credit for taking the
          > >course. I suspect what you call numbered credits are actually standard
          > >grades. e.g. 1,2,3,... (equivalent of A, B, C,...)
          > >
          > >Of course, some Czech NSer might tell me I'm completely wrong :-)
          > >Coilin
          > >

          > >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > --------------------~-->
          > >

          > Czechlist resources:

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

          <image.tiff>

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
            Hard to say without any context - can you share the whole bit with us?
            You say they get a grade in winter and ZK (or ZA) in summer - do they
            call the 'grade' differently from ZK? That might suggest ZK is something
            else that the grade...?
            In general: I don't think that an option to do a winter exam in summer
            would be a standard option mentioned in the curricula. But true, I
            graduated some 20 yrs ago.
            My - old man's :-) - impression is that there is a mandatory part of
            curricula in winter that you have to pass and get a grade, and then
            perhaps an option to go on with the specialization and pass another exam
            or go for a less intensive course and end up with a zapocet. But the
            context might help to be sure.

            hth
            Martin

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
              Thanks, Coilin and Martin.

              I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"

              Millennium translates it as "reading in the library", which really has
              to be impossible. Any suggestions? Is it an on-campus program or what?

              Jamie
            • Terminus Technicus
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to full time - could be
                distance learning, evening courses, etc. (you only come to meet your tutor
                every now and then, get assignments and then show up for the exams type of
                deal) - can't remember the umbrella term, sure you'll be able to come up
                with one

                Matej

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Millenium is right - but in a certain context only: if you go to a
                  library and ask for a rare/expensive print, you will be only allowed to
                  read it on site, no home borrowings (= dostanes ji k prezencnimu studiu).
                  However, in your case, they most likely mean daily/full time course
                  (denni studium), as opposed to dalkove studium.

                  hth
                  Martin

                  James Kirchner wrote:

                  >Thanks, Coilin and Martin.
                  >
                  >I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"
                  >
                  >Millennium translates it as "reading in the library", which really has
                  >to be impossible. Any suggestions? Is it an on-campus program or what?
                  >
                  >Jamie

                • Terminus Technicus
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                    Oops, sorry, confused the two, Martin is right, of course...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Looks like Matej thinks it's the exact opposite. Well, Jamie, check it
                      yourself - just run a google query for: prezencní + dálkové.
                      Martin

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005

                        > I've got another problem: "prezencni studium"

                        Check out these messages for some smart ideas:

                        et seq...

                        Incidentally, 'prezencni' is discussed in a library context in

                        et seq...

                        Observe constantly that all things take place by change, and accustom
                        thyself to consider that the nature of the Universe loves nothing so
                        much as to change the things which are, and to make new things like them.
                        - Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                          Prezencni studium:

                          On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:05 PM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                          > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to full time - could
                          > be
                          > distance learning, evening courses, etc.

                          ?????????!

                          The student herself claims it means full-time study, but sometimes
                          students wanting to get into school here try to lie about that stuff,
                          so I have to ask again.

                          The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so the numbers appear
                          to be credits, rather than grades. This system is confusing, because
                          numbers are used for both grades and credits. On this one, the credits
                          are given, and then what passes for a grade is a nearly illegible
                          (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner or bureaucrat.
                          (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital due to staff
                          members' bad penmanship.)

                          While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student has her name
                          written in the transcript thus:

                          Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS

                          What is this "DiS"?

                        • Stanislav Zizka
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                            Hello,

                            The study regulations of our university define
                            prezencni studium as:
                            "Prezencní forma studia predpokládá u studentu úcast
                            na prednáskách, cviceních, seminárích a dalsích
                            vzdelávacích aktivitách, které jsou obsahem studijního
                            plánu."

                            Another form is kind of "individual form of study":
                            "Kombinovaná forma studia vychází z prezencní formy
                            studia s tím, ze se u ní predpokládá vyssí podíl
                            samostatného studia."

                            And you certainly know "distancní forma studia"

                            DiS stands for "Diplomovaný specialista" which is a
                            title obtained after successfully finishing Vyssi
                            odborna skola. On page 2 of this PDF you'll find
                            explanation: http://web.utb.cz/cs/docs/pravopis.pdf

                            Standa

                            ---------------------------------

                            Technicus wrote:

                            > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to
                            full time - could
                            > be
                            > distance learning, evening courses, etc.

                            ?????????!

                            The student herself claims it means full-time study,
                            but sometimes
                            students wanting to get into school here try to lie
                            about that stuff,
                            so I have to ask again.

                            The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so
                            the numbers appear
                            to be credits, rather than grades. This system is
                            confusing, because
                            numbers are used for both grades and credits. On this
                            one, the credits
                            are given, and then what passes for a grade is a
                            nearly illegible
                            (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner
                            or bureaucrat.
                            (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital
                            due to staff
                            members' bad penmanship.)

                            While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student
                            has her name
                            written in the transcript thus:

                            Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS

                            What is this "DiS"?

                            Czechlist resources:

                            Terms of Service.

                            ---------------------------------

                          • iseykora
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                              DiS = diplomovaný specialista

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                                Thanks, Standa. This file helps.

                                And thanks again to Coilin, Martin, Melvyn and anyone else who assisted
                                me.

                                I decided not to translate DiS at all, because it's a type of title
                                nobody has here in the US, and it was not necessary for the purpose of
                                this translation.

                                Jamie

                                On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 01:31 AM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:

                                > Hello,
                                >
                                > The study regulations of our university define
                                > prezencni studium as:
                                > "Prezencní forma studia predpokládá u studentu úcast
                                > na prednáskách, cviceních, seminárích a dalsích
                                > vzdelávacích aktivitách, které jsou obsahem studijního
                                > plánu."
                                >
                                > Another form is kind of "individual form of study":
                                > "Kombinovaná forma studia vychází z prezencní formy
                                > studia s tím, ze se u ní predpokládá vyssí podíl
                                > samostatného studia."
                                >
                                > And you certainly know "distancní forma studia"
                                >
                                > DiS stands for "Diplomovaný specialista" which is a
                                > title obtained after successfully finishing Vyssi
                                > odborna skola. On page 2 of this PDF you'll find
                                > explanation: http://web.utb.cz/cs/docs/pravopis.pdf
                                >
                                > Standa
                                >

                                > --- James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > ---------------------------------
                                > Prezencni studium:
                                >
                                > On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:09  PM, Martin
                                > Janda wrote:
                                >
                                > > However, in your case, they most likely mean
                                > daily/full time course
                                > > (denni studium),  as opposed to dalkove studium.
                                >
                                > On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 05:05  PM, Terminus
                                > Technicus wrote:
                                >
                                > > Been discussed here before - it's the alternative to
                                > full time - could
                                > > be
                                > > distance learning, evening courses, etc.
                                >
                                > ?????????!
                                >
                                > The student herself claims it means full-time study,
                                > but sometimes
                                > students wanting to get into school here try to lie
                                > about that stuff,
                                > so I have to ask again.
                                >
                                > The transcript seems to be using the ECTS system, so
                                > the numbers appear
                                > to be credits, rather than grades.  This system is
                                > confusing, because
                                > numbers are used for both grades and credits.  On this
                                > one, the credits
                                > are given, and then what passes for a grade is a
                                > nearly illegible
                                > (sometimes wholly illegible) notation from an examiner
                                > or bureaucrat.
                                > (I'll bet some people in the CR die in the hospital
                                > due to staff
                                > members' bad penmanship.)
                                >
                                > While I'm bothering you both, I see that the student
                                > has her name
                                > written in the transcript thus:
                                >
                                >       Jana Picicicicikiova, DiS
                                >
                                > What is this "DiS"?

                                > Czechlist resources:

                                >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                                > Terms of Service.
                                >

                                > ---------------------------------

                                > Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com
                                >

                                > Czechlist resources:

                                <image.tiff>

                                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                >
                                > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

                                <image.tiff>

                              • jsyeaton
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  While you're at it, how about the prezencni sluzba they used to have
                                  when you still had obligatory military service? Was there a kind of
                                  service where you didn't have to be present?

                                  Judy