Term: JOB TITLE

  • Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
      Hello everybody,
      could somebody tell how to understand "job" title in the following paragraph?

      "One practical example can be seen in a study of the fish industry in Sweden where men and women have the same job title. Cutting operations at the canning bench were studied. In the fish industry traditional sex roles are deeply rooted."

      Thanks for any suggestions.
      Iveta

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis"
        <preklady@p...> wrote:

        > Hello everybody,
        > could somebody tell how to understand "job" title in the following
        paragraph?

        > "One practical example can be seen in a study of the fish industry
        in Sweden where men and women have the same job title. Cutting
        operations at the canning bench were studied. In the fish industry
        traditional sex roles are deeply rooted."

        I would presume this is pracovni zarazeni, oznaceni funkce etc as
        usual. Whereas traditionally, the men performed one set of tasks and
        the women performed another, whatever they do nowadays, they all have
        the same (gender-neutral?) job title, e.g. 'canning bench operative'
        or whatever. That's how I'd see it, unless additional context proves
        otherwise.

        I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best
        advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.
        - G. K. Chesterton
      • Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
          Could that possibly be understood as "pravo na stejnou praci"? "Pracovni
          zarazeni" was my first thought but somehow I am less and less sure. It is
          not specified in detail in the text, it is just my doubts.

          Iveta

          >> could somebody tell how to understand "job" title in the following
          > paragraph?
          >>
          >> "One practical example can be seen in a study of the fish industry
          > in Sweden where men and women have the same job title. Cutting
          > operations at the canning bench were studied. In the fish industry
          > traditional sex roles are deeply rooted."
          >
          > I would presume this is pracovni zarazeni, oznaceni funkce etc as
          > usual. Whereas traditionally, the men performed one set of tasks and
          > the women performed another, whatever they do nowadays, they all have
          > the same (gender-neutral?) job title, e.g. 'canning bench operative'
          > or whatever. That's how I'd see it, unless additional context proves
          > otherwise.
          >
          > BR
          >
          > M.
          > I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best
          > advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.
          > - G. K. Chesterton
          >

          > Czechlist resources:

        • Michael Gmail
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
            On Oct 31, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis wrote:

            > Could that possibly be understood as "pravo na stejnou praci"?
            > "Pracovni
            > zarazeni" was my first thought but somehow I am less and less sure.
            > It is
            > not specified in detail in the text, it is just my doubts.

            I don't think so. I read it as Melvyn does. I think the point may be
            that, although men and women may have the same job titles, i.e.
            officially hold the same positions on the company's employment
            charts, the actual work they do still differs in line with
            traditional sex roles.

            Michael

            --
            "When you think you just lack words, what you really lack are ideas."
            - George Lakoff
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
              Pracovn� za�azen�?

              Karel

              _____

              On Oct 31, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis wrote:

              > Could that possibly be understood as "pravo na stejnou praci"?
              > "Pracovni
              > zarazeni" was my first thought but somehow I am less and less sure.
              > It is
              > not specified in detail in the text, it is just my doubts.

              I don't think so. I read it as Melvyn does. I think the point may be
              that, although men and women may have the same job titles, i.e.
              officially hold the same positions on the company's employment
              charts, the actual work they do still differs in line with
              traditional sex roles.

              Michael

              --
              "When you think you just lack words, what you really lack are ideas."
              - George Lakoff

              Czechlist resources:
              HYPERLINK
              "http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation"http://www.bohemica.com/czechtrans
              lation

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "HYPERLINK
              "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Czechlist"Czechlist" on the web.

              HYPERLINK
              "mailto:Czechlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"Czechlist-

              _____

              --
              Odchoz� zpr�va neobsahuje viry.
              Zkontrolov�no Antivirov�m syst�mem AVG.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                <preklady@p...> wrote:

                > >> "One practical example can be seen in a study of the fish industry
                > > in Sweden where men and women have the same job title. Cutting
                > > operations at the canning bench were studied. In the fish industry
                > > traditional sex roles are deeply rooted."

                > Could that possibly be understood as "pravo na stejnou praci"?

                Not if this is written by a native speaker. What is this a practical
                example of, anyway?

                I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and
                besides, the pig likes it.
                - Cyrus Ching
              • Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                  It is an EU document related to musculoskeletal disorders and how they affect men and women. This particular section is called "Investigating the gender gap" and this is the whole passage.

                  "One practical example can be seen in a study of the fish industry in Sweden where men and women have the same job title. Cutting operations at the canning bench were studied. In the fish industry traditional sex roles are deeply rooted.

                  Men delivered and transported the fish and products, while women cleaned, trimmed, sliced and put the treated fish into cans, which moved along the production line. Salaries were based on a piece-work agreement which increased the pace. Work injury statistics showed that canning bench workers were significantly more exposed to carving injuries and physical stress illnesses than the average active worker in Sweden."

                  Then it continues and describes a new knife that has been designed to fit the size of the hands etc.

                  Iveta

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                    <preklady@p...> wrote:

                    > It is an EU document

                    OK, the English looks fine. I'd say the writer probably just hasn't
                    presented the case in the most coherent manner.

                    Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
                    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.
                    - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
                  • jsyeaton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                      On your quote from Sozhenitsyn: he moved to Vermont and spoke only to
                      other Russians living in exile until he could go home again. If he
                      ever learned English, I don't think he was ever heard to use it. The
                      idea's fine, of course.

                      Judy

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                        Thank you all for your suggestions.
                        Iveta

                        > OK, the English looks fine. I'd say the writer probably just hasn't
                        > presented the case in the most coherent manner.
                        >
                        > BR
                        >
                        > M.
                        > Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
                        > know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.
                        > - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
                        >

                        > Czechlist resources:

                      • Michael Trittipo
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                          Michael Gmail wrote:
                          >>Could that possibly be understood as "pravo na stejnou praci"?
                          >>"Pracovni
                          >>zarazeni" was my first thought but somehow I am less and less sure.
                          >>It is
                          >>not specified in detail in the text, it is just my doubts.
                          >

                          > I don't think so. I read it as Melvyn does. I think the point may be
                          > that, although men and women may have the same job titles, i.e.
                          > officially hold the same positions on the company's employment
                          > charts, the actual work they do still differs in line with
                          > traditional sex roles.

                          Agreed, especially in the context of
                          http://agency.osha.eu.int/publications/magazine/3/en/index_8.htm
                          which appears to contain the same two sentences .