Re: [Czechlist] hassle-free hair

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 8, 2005
      On Saturday, October 8, 2005, at 09:27 AM, Kate�ina Bryanov� wrote:

      > Napada nekoho, jak elegantne prelozit: "hassle-free hair"?

      I'm not Czech, so what I tell you may sound a little odd to a native
      speaker, but it means something like "neobtizne vlasy" or "vlasy bez
      obtizi". If these don't sound good to your Czech ears, you can find a
      similar phrase.

      > A znamena v kadernickem kontextu "regrowth" odrost (po barveni) nebo
      > mastne vlasy u korinku?

      "Regrowth" can mean a lot of things in that context. It can even mean
      when hair grows again on a bald spot.

      However, I think that in the context you want, it probably means hair
      continuing to grow after coloring, and revealing the person's natural
      color. We say someone's "roots grow back".

      > A posledni vec: co proboha dela "root-tition" (Nicola Clarke)? Stara
      > se Madonne o korinky vlasu!?

      In the North American world of beauty salons (I don't know about the
      UK, but I'll bet it's similar), they like to make up
      sophisticated-sounding names for people who do routine low-skill jobs.
      The names make them sound almost like philosophers or scientists. In
      academic circles, an "aesthetician" is a scholar who deals with the
      philosophy of aesthetics. At a beauty salon or a nail salon (thus in
      most of the public mind), an "aesthetician" is someone who gives
      manicures and lacquers women's fingernails. Those who want to sound
      more industrial and less artistic call themselves "nail technicians".

      Think of "root-titian" this way, it is probably a hair stylist who
      specializes in touching up (i.e., coloring) the roots of women who've
      colored their hair. She may or may not do the whole head, but she is
      probably somehow known as very good at touching up the roots.

    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
        Ahoj,

        co takhle "prakticky uces"?

        Joe

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
          On Sunday, October 9, 2005, at 03:40 AM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

          > co takhle "prakticky uces"?

          I don't know if "prakticky uces" would work in Czech, but in English a
          "practical hairstyle" or a "practical hairdo" is closely related to a
          "sensible hairdo", which indicates an unappealing, overly conservative,
          frumpy hairstyle. This sounds quite different from the impression the
          expression "hassle-free hair" is trying to convey.

          When I hear "hassle-free hair", I imagine someone is trying to convey
          that the hair is stylish, appealing, even sexy, but that you don't have
          to work too hard to get the look you want.

        • Hana Viansová
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
            Tak pak mozna "uces, ktery se snadno udrzuje"? Je to hodne slov, ja vim, ale
            asi to vystihuje podstatu?
            Hanka

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
              On Sunday, October 9, 2005, at 05:44 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

              > Tak pak mozna "uces, ktery se snadno udrzuje"? Je to hodne slov, ja
              > vim, ale asi to vystihuje podstatu?

              Folks, they're talking about the hair, and not the uces. The hair se
              snadno udrzuje regardless of which uces you choose that day.

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                Yes - in most situations, this is hair that doesn't get tangled, doesn't break, doesn't have split ends, is easy to comb etc. In some situations, the phrase might refer to a haircut that is easy to maintain. If you do a Google search, you'll see what I mean.

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                  In a Czech-for-foreigners textbook, I have found the term "americké
                  brambory".

                  I never saw anything with that name when I lived in the CR, and my
                  instinct tells me they are probably not anything Americans eat. Could
                  anyone tell me what they are called in English?

                  (By the way, Americans eat "German chocolate cake", which is unknown in
                  Germany. Some of our Chinese dishes are American, and the Greeks claim
                  the popular flaming cheese, saganaki, is American also. My Italian prof
                  in college, a native of Rome, claimed even pizza was American, but I
                  don't know about that.)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                    A common expression in advertising that is synonymous with "hassle-free
                    hair" is "hair that does what you want it to."

                    As I said, it's the hair and not the uces.

                    Jamie
                  • Valerie Talacko
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                      They seem to be all over the place at the moment. They're like the American potato wedges that you eat with sour cream. I think 'potato wedges' would have to be the closest translation - but does that sound funny coming with a main course?
                      In a Czech-for-foreigners textbook, I have found the term "americké
                      brambory".

                      I never saw anything with that name when I lived in the CR, and my
                      instinct tells me they are probably not anything Americans eat. Could
                      anyone tell me what they are called in English?

                      (By the way, Americans eat "German chocolate cake", which is unknown in
                      Germany. Some of our Chinese dishes are American, and the Greeks claim
                      the popular flaming cheese, saganaki, is American also. My Italian prof
                      in college, a native of Rome, claimed even pizza was American, but I
                      don't know about that.)

                      Jamie

                      Czechlist resources:

                      Czech republic hotel Czech republic Prague czech republic accommodation

                    • Valerie Talacko

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                          Ahoj všichni,

                          existuje nejaký preklad do ceštiny?

                          sarka
                        • Helga Listen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                            Hi Jamie,

                            Have a look here HYPERLINK
                            "http://mujweb.cz/zabava/varimuz/brambory/05.htm"http://mujweb.cz/zabava/var
                            imuz/brambory/05.htm this tells you exactly, what this side dish is.

                            BTW the German chocolate cake is the US version of our Sachertorte, which
                            actually is not German but Austrian.

                            HTH

                            Helga

                            _____

                            From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                            Of James Kirchner

                            --
                            Ausgehende E-Mail ist virenfrei.
                            �berpr�ft durch AVG Antivirensystem.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                              On Sunday, October 9, 2005, at 08:43 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                              > They seem to be all over the place at the moment. They're like the
                              > American potato wedges that you eat with sour cream. I think 'potato
                              > wedges' would have to be the closest translation - but does that sound
                              > funny coming with a main course?

                              With some salt and pepper, and maybe garlic powder?

                              On Sunday, October 9, 2005, at 08:50 AM, Helga Listen wrote:

                              > Have a look here HYPERLINK
                              > "http://mujweb.cz/zabava/varimuz/brambory/05.htm"http://mujweb.cz/
                              > zabava/var
                              > imuz/brambory/05.htm this tells you exactly, what this side dish is.

                              AHA! Now I understand what they are. Potato wedges fried in oil. I
                              don't know what they're called, and I've only seen them once. I have
                              no idea what they're called here. I've looked at a couple of American
                              recipes on the web, and they appear to be called "oven fried potatoes",
                              which tells me they don't actually have a name.

                              > BTW the German chocolate cake is the US version of our Sachertorte,
                              > which
                              > actually is not German but Austrian.

                              So it DID originate in a German-speaking country somehow. I suspected
                              so.

                              Thanks to both of you.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                                On Sunday, October 9, 2005, at 08:44 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                                > It might be 'uces' if it refers to cut, and not 'uces' as in
                                > hairstyle, i.e. whether you wear it up or down, in plaits etc. But I
                                > think it's more likely to refer to the hair itself.

                                I think that's right. It's the hair.

                                Jamie

                                <image.tiff>

                                <image.tiff>

                                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                >
                                > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

                                <image.tiff>

                              • Kateřina Bryanová
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                                  Thank you all!!!
                                  It helped me a lot!
                                  kacka :)

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 9, 2005
                                    Ahoj Sarko,.

                                    je to Spravce prostredku systemu Windows, viz

                                    www.microsoft.com/cze/management/info/Dynamic_Systems_Initiative.asp

                                    hth
                                    Martin

                                    ing.Sárka Rubková wrote:

                                    >Ahoj všichni,
                                    >
                                    >existuje nejaký preklad do ceštiny?
                                    >
                                    >sarka
                                    >

                                    >Czechlist resources:
                                    >http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • ing.Sárka Rubková
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                                      I apologise for using "hacky" a "carky". I know it is late but better than
                                      never

                                      Sarka