Re: Call for Native Speakers

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" <mgmikolajek@v...> wrote:

      > There is this problem with the main character that although she
      > is constantly being referred to as a Cockney Eastender, she speaks
      > beatiful, rich English and the Cockney accent is not represented in
      > the text in any way.

      You sure about that? Have a look at the first paragraph again:

      "Lor' love you, sir!" Fevvers sang out in a voice that clanged like
      dustbin lids. "As to my place of birth, why, I first saw the light of
      day right here in smoky old London, didn't I! Not billed the 'Cockney
      Venus', for nothing, sir, though they could just as well 'ave called
      me 'Helen of the High Wire', due to the unusual circumstances in which
      I come ashore - for I never docked via what you might call the normal
      channels, sir, oh, dear me, no; but, just like Helen of Troy, was hatched.

      The dropped aitch and consonant, the name Fevvers (Feathers), the
      rhetorical tag and the exclamations are dead give-aways:

      "We are plunged straight into the narration of a very unusual narrator
      whose peculiar combination of Cockney English and classical erudition
      suggests her status as half human and half mythical" -

      http://www.csulb.edu/~bhfinney/AngelaCarter.html

      In other words, the translation must allow for
      > both a straightforward and an ironic reading, just as the original.
      Would you have any suggestions?

      About how to handle Angela Carter's erudite trompe l'oeil
      metanarrative technique =:O? Try the above link for a little inspiration.

      > Re: 4) (Voice adjectives) I mainly have problem with the "swooping
      > voice". I believe it lends itself to two interpretations: a voice
      that is falling and rising with pronounced intonation or a voice that
      is so powerful and agressive that it captures the listener's attention
      as a raptor swoops down on his prey. Which is it?

      The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive once we have accepted
      the aforementioned human/mythical parallelism. Again, a little context
      and explanation might help:

      he quickly becomes "a prisoner of her voice . . . Her dark, rusty,
      dipping, swooping voice, imperious as a siren's" Half mythical, she
      shares with Homer's fabulous female creatures their hypnotic
      attraction - and their potential destructiveness. [ibid]

      As I said, the intonation is rather dramatic! :-)

      Be lucky! ;-)

      M.
      When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, 'Did you sleep
      good?' I said 'No, I made a few mistakes.'
      - Steven Wright